Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

17 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

It felt like I had actually began to feel the changes a little bit even though I can't really see them myself.

Hooray @Trish13! I'm so glad you had a positive shopping experience to help you understand your losses so far! I know that's a great feeling, and if really brings home how much progress you've made :) Good for you getting stuff on sale - it won't last long, but it's necessary to fill those size gaps at a certain point!

Another walk today...two miles.  Not a problem but I'm drenched in sweat. Granted it's warmer than normal here in the NE but my son and husband were with me and they weren't drenched. I'm not usually a huge sweater but now that I'm out of shape AND heavier, I'm a mess when I exert myself. I know that will go down when my weight goes down but for right now it's annoying.....HOWEVER, I'm not going to stop moving because of it. I just came home and changed. Tomorrow I'll walk again. I want to be physicals in better shape by the time my surgery gets here. 

@Trish13 that sounds wonderful!!!!  You can consign them in a few months and use the money to get new size 16 things!  Hard to imagine, right?!?  (I'll be you, next year, and be thrilled with getting smaller things!!!)

@Trish13 What a delicious moment! and after all you have been through, all the sweeter. 

Don't overbuy now out of delight and excitement...;)

Got my wedding ring sized down half a size this week. That's after getting it sized down a quarter size several weeks ago.

30 minutes ago, Carina said:

Got my wedding ring sized down half a size this week. That's after getting it sized down a quarter size several weeks ago.

Good for you! Mine has gone from not close to fitting to loose. Going to need to either visit a jeweler or come up with one of those rubber thingamajigs that help rings stay on soon. Very pleasant tasks to have! 

@Jen581791 You can always wear a second ring next to it to help keep it in place. Good excuse for wearing/getting one! ;-)

That is so awesome!  In a month or two I'm projecting you will be in 14/16, so keep the receipt and tags if you don't wear them.  Especially the warmer things..  I always wanted a jeans jacket but thought I looked like the Goodyear blimp in a size 24.  I finally got one and love it!  You go!  And pretty soon you won't be able to shop at Lane Bryant:D

@CJireh, @BurgundyBoy, @Cheesehead@Jen581791....I really hadn't planned in buying anything, but pure necessity won out. I only bought 1 pair of pants (I managed to find another pair of jeans in my closet a couple weeks ago but needed another pair since 7 days is a long time..lol), about 5 tops, and a jacket. I pretty confident I won't be in them long term, but needed work clothing that didn't show the goods or fall off...lol! I honestly think I'm more in a true 20/22 top, but bought down slightly to get a little more wear out of them. And consigning them is a fantastic idea, no doubt!!!!  As slow as the weight is dropping, I should at most likely be in them til the holidays...lol! However the experience of shopping was cathartic, to say the least,with everything that I've been dealing with with my intake issues and TPN. Thank you for the kind words!!! 

16 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

@CJireh, @BurgundyBoy, @Cheesehead@Jen581791....I really hadn't planned in buying anything, but pure necessity won out. I only bought 1 pair of pants (I managed to find another pair of jeans in my closet a couple weeks ago but needed another pair since 7 days is a long time..lol), about 5 tops, and a jacket. I pretty confident I won't be in them long term, but needed work clothing that didn't show the goods or fall off...lol! I honestly think I'm more in a true 20/22 top, but bought down slightly to get a little more wear out of them. And consigning them is a fantastic idea, no doubt!!!!  As slow as the weight is dropping, I should at most likely be in them til the holidays...lol! However the experience of shopping was cathartic, to say the least,with everything that I've been dealing with with my intake issues and TPN. Thank you for the kind words!!! 

I went from a 24 which I wore way too long but just kept tightening my belt to a 14..I had a really hard time seeing the smaller me and didn't even realize how bad my jeans were..then I kept tightening those with a belt til I arrived at a 2 or a 4 where I am now..won't say anything about a swim suit I wore that May then expected it to fit in October that year.  Tried it on the night before we left and there was no way!.  Hubby was like "duh, you've lost 50 pounds since May"..I was big and in the same size forever, never had it occur to me that sizes change...

That is great - congratulations!  I'm in the same boat, and I don't want to buy too many things. My sister keeps buying me clothes because she is so excited for me to have new items (it doesn't hurt that she has new clothes from my old wardrobe --- some of my clothes still had the tags) but then does get upset because either I say the item is too small or try to reiterate that I don't want to have too many things as I want to keep losing (I think my husband's feelings were hurt too because he wanted to buy me new clothes - again I don't want to have too many clothes as I seem to be in a new size every few weeks!) My sister's friend gave me about 12 work blouses too, and it is with bittersweet feelings that they are getting looser.  It was so exciting to go into the Dress Barn, walking in on the right side with the larger sized clothes to look for jeans (I've been wearing clown clothes for months between seeing the fat person in my head as well as not wanting buy something only to shrink out soon --- it's embarrassing though as someone at work told me I'd better had good underwear as my workout pants were way too big and looked like they were ready to slide off) --- the exciting part was that after my sister kept nixing the fit on the size 18's, the saleswoman brought a pair of jeans from the left side of the store which is for smaller sizes ---- the jeans were skinny-ish size 16s, and they make me feel like I can conquer the world with my energy and slim look jeans! Lane Bryant also has a very nice model of slacks; I think it is the Allie. Wide waistband with solid material, smooth fit, sleek trendy look and best of all they don't have the thigh bubble that afflict most larger sized pants because of course all larger sized women have a big bulb on the side of their legs (my sisters and I have big guts and much smaller legs) - the 20s are loose and the 18s are getting loose too. Yesterday, I bought new turtlenecks at Lands End in a Large ... the exercise pants were XL but that's ok because last winter I couldn't fit into their 3XL shirts! However, there is a downside ... this would be a lot more amusing if it happened to someone else. While at the movies I heard a clink only to find my ring had fallen into the toilet, outfitted with autoflush! Luckily it wasn't my wedding ring.

3 hours ago, Jumping Jo said:

That is great - congratulations!  I'm in the same boat, and I don't want to buy too many things. My sister keeps buying me clothes because she is so excited for me to have new items (it doesn't hurt that she has new clothes from my old wardrobe --- some of my clothes still had the tags) but then does get upset because either I say the item is too small or try to reiterate that I don't want to have too many things as I want to keep losing (I think my husband's feelings were hurt too because he wanted to buy me new clothes - again I don't want to have too many clothes as I seem to be in a new size every few weeks!) My sister's friend gave me about 12 work blouses too, and it is with bittersweet feelings that they are getting looser.  It was so exciting to go into the Dress Barn, walking in on the right side with the larger sized clothes to look for jeans (I've been wearing clown clothes for months between seeing the fat person in my head as well as not wanting buy something only to shrink out soon --- it's embarrassing though as someone at work told me I'd better had good underwear as my workout pants were way too big and looked like they were ready to slide off) --- the exciting part was that after my sister kept nixing the fit on the size 18's, the saleswoman brought a pair of jeans from the left side of the store which is for smaller sizes ---- the jeans were skinny-ish size 16s, and they make me feel like I can conquer the world with my energy and slim look jeans! Lane Bryant also has a very nice model of slacks; I think it is the Allie. Wide waistband with solid material, smooth fit, sleek trendy look and best of all they don't have the thigh bubble that afflict most larger sized pants because of course all larger sized women have a big bulb on the side of their legs (my sisters and I have big guts and much smaller legs) - the 20s are loose and the 18s are getting loose too. Yesterday, I bought new turtlenecks at Lands End in a Large ... the exercise pants were XL but that's ok because last winter I couldn't fit into their 3XL shirts! However, there is a downside ... this would be a lot more amusing if it happened to someone else. While at the movies I heard a clink only to find my ring had fallen into the toilet, outfitted with autoflush! Luckily it wasn't my wedding ring.

I'm afraid I can't "like" the loss of jewelry down the toilet, Jo! But otherwise, I love all of your clothing victories. I agree that smaller sizes makes me feel like I can conquer the world. So great. 

I heard it once said that thin people are all alike, but fat people are all fat in different ways* - thus leading to it being pretty easy for thin people to find the right sizes, but almost impossible for fat people. My curse was the big tummy pooch in pants - I don't gain weight there, but boy are large sized pants constructed for that. Glad to be moving into sizes where those types of things aren't as obvious, anyway. 

It looks like you and I are around the same place on our big first year post-op. It sounds like you're doing really well :) 

* pretty good literary allusion to Tolstoy: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." 

12 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

* pretty good literary allusion to Tolstoy: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." 

<< Glad someone is keeping our level of writing high! >>

6 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

<< Glad someone is keeping our level of writing high! >>

giphy.gif

I had to take my BC in for its yearly service (Buoyancy Compensator Device, the jacket part you wear for SCUBA). Before I take it in, I always take off the accessories I've added (gauge clips, instructor's bell, etc) **and** cumberbund extender. You see, the BC uses clips, straps and a large velcro waistband to hold it in place in the water. When I bought the BC, it wouldn't fit around me. I had to buy an extender (extra bit of velcro). Over my years of diving, whenever I traveled, I would have to remember to bring the extender so I could fit into an off-the-rack rental. And then, at the shop while being fitted, I would have to sneak it on so as not to call attention to the poor fit.

I hadn't been diving in over 5 weeks so I thought I'd try it on. AND...drumroll, please...no cumberbund extender needed! Whooo hooo. The BC fits and will shortly be too large and unable to strap down onto my smaller body! Huzzah!

My next adventure is the wetsuit that has been haunting the back of my closet. Brand new, never worn, will it fit??? Diving starts again in a month so I WILL need it.

10 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

giphy.gif

Is there no place left on the internet for pedestrians like me? Geez...

@CurvyMermaid...that is awesome! I'm so happy for you!!!!!! Can't wait to hear if the suit fits too! Way to go, my friend!

7 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

I had to take my BC in for its yearly service (Buoyancy Compensator Device, the jacket part you wear for SCUBA). Before I take it in, I always take off the accessories I've added (gauge clips, instructor's bell, etc) **and** cumberbund extender. You see, the BC uses clips, straps and a large velcro waistband to hold it in place in the water. When I bought the BC, it wouldn't fit around me. I had to buy an extender (extra bit of velcro). Over my years of diving, whenever I traveled, I would have to remember to bring the extender so I could fit into an off-the-rack rental. And then, at the shop while being fitted, I would have to sneak it on so as not to call attention to the poor fit.

I hadn't been diving in over 5 weeks so I thought I'd try it on. AND...drumroll, please...no cumberbund extender needed! Whooo hooo. The BC fits and will shortly be too large and unable to strap down onto my smaller body! Huzzah!

My next adventure is the wetsuit that has been haunting the back of my closet. Brand new, never worn, will it fit??? Diving starts again in a month so I WILL need it.

Yeah!! Great news!!  

13 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Congratulations! I bet your wetsuit will fit!

Visited Carlsbad Caverns last week. Elevators to the cave floor were out of service for repair. It is a 1.2 mile 80 story hike down on wet/damp pavement in very low light. At a few points the grade is 20%. We hiked down slowly because it is easy to slip. The rangers tell you it will take about an hour to get down and I think we made it in 55 minutes. On the way back up, my husband suggested we each go at our own pace and meet at the surface. I work out often and he does not so we both knew I would get to the surface faster. The rangers estimate it takes an hour to get back up. I decided to push myself and see how quickly I could make it. The narrow path wasn't crowded but I did have to navigate around people. It was still wet and slippery but I wasn't as worried about falling as I went up. I made it in 32 minutes. I was drenched in sweat and panting like I'd been running. I was happy with my time but more than that, I know had I done this at 300 pounds it would have taken me at least an hour to get back up. Then, I would have been sore for days. I felt just fine the next day and even went for a run that afternoon. Being able to do things like this is why I had WLS. I like the way my body looks and love all my great clothes but being able to do everything physical I want to do is the main reason I'm so happy about my sleeve.

26 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

Visited Carlsbad Caverns last week. Elevators to the cave floor were out of service for repair. It is a 1.2 mile 80 story hike down on wet/damp pavement in very low light. At a few points the grade is 20%. We hiked down slowly because it is easy to slip. The rangers tell you it will take about an hour to get down and I think we made it in 55 minutes. On the way back up, my husband suggested we each go at our own pace and meet at the surface. I work out often and he does not so we both knew I would get to the surface faster. The rangers estimate it takes an hour to get back up. I decided to push myself and see how quickly I could make it. The narrow path wasn't crowded but I did have to navigate around people. It was still wet and slippery but I wasn't as worried about falling as I went up. I made it in 32 minutes. I was drenched in sweat and panting like I'd been running. I was happy with my time but more than that, I know had I done this at 300 pounds it would have taken me at least an hour to get back up. Then, I would have been sore for days. I felt just fine the next day and even went for a run that afternoon. Being able to do things like this is why I had WLS. I like the way my body looks and love all my great clothes but being able to do everything physical I want to do is the main reason I'm so happy about my sleeve.

@Stephtay

I want to pat your sleeve and say "good girl"! :) That must have been an exhilarating experience. I'm happy for you.  

Edited by NerdyLady

3 hours ago, Stephtay said:

Being able to do things like this is why I had WLS. I like the way my body looks and love all my great clothes but being able to do everything physical I want to do is the main reason I'm so happy about my sleeve.

Yaaaassssss!!

However, where's the pics? Pics or it didn't happen!! ;)