Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

2 hours ago, Aussie H said:

They're non-returnable unfortunately because they were sale items. My sister reckons she'll buy some off me when she loses more weight. Given she appears to be gaining it at the moment (and is a good 60lbs heavier than me right now) I can't see that happening anytime soon. I know I should be happy that they're too big, and I'm sure I'll get there. I'm just kicking myself at the moment knowing I'll be up for full price purchases once this pesky cast comes off. I've got nothing in the way of pants right now other than tracking, and I'm not prepared to guess at sizes for now. I'll just have to wait until the cast is off and I can try stuff on.

Sell them on eBay. I made a lot of money when I was losing. It's a great marketplace. 

48 minutes ago, GAviv said:

Sell them on eBay. I made a lot of money when I was losing. It's a great marketplace. 

Hey, good idea! 

56 minutes ago, GAviv said:

Good idea. I'll more likely use our local buy, swap and sell Facebook Page though.

I haven't learned my lesson....bought a new pair of even smaller jeans this morning after chatting with the shop assistant about the real size. I trust her as it's a small local store I shop at a lot and this time I'll keep them tagged until I can try them on in 4 weeks when my cast comes off. If they hadn't caught my eye last week, and been the last pair left (plus I had a time sensitive voucher) I probably would have waited. 

Discovered another advantage of losing weight though.....you can fit a whole lot more clothes in a small suitcase!!!!!

On 9/17/2017 at 6:07 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

NSV Last week and yesterday:

I have a bunch of XL long and XXL long shirts and 2 sports coats that I have worn for years. I trimmed out of all the closet all the XXL shirts  [or 17 1/2 necks or 18 necks, 37 sleeves] and tried on all of the XL shirts. NONE fit me without looking like a sail. Issue: I had to leave on a business trip and had not one shirt I could wear, same for the sports coats. 

So, rattled, I bought 4 new short sleeved shirts, 16.5 necks, last week. All fit and my wife said pffft, buy 16" necks, they looked a touch too big. So, I ordered 4 new 16" neck/36" sleeve long-sleeved shirts, like I used to wear in my 20s (we are talking dinosaur time, folks). I also needed a new jacket, since when I took the old ones to my local tailor, they said they could not be done without looking bad and "just donate them, ok?" I ordered a new 44 inch jacket at the same time and donated my two jackets (they were 52" or 54" as I recall) and 24 shirts. My closet was BARE. 

The long sleeve shirts arrived the day I left on this business trip. They fit like a glove. And juicier yet: so did the jacket.

So here's a pic of me in Jakarta... 

BurgundyBoy_9_17_2017.jpg

BB! What a great picture! The best part of this photo is your smile! Congrats on  the room in your closet! :D

Edited by NerdyLady

On 9/17/2017 at 9:04 AM, Jen581791 said:

A nice NSV for living in a hot, humid place: in the last couple of weeks, I have discovered that when wearing a dress or skirt, I don't have to wear spanx or whatever stretchy shorts things under them to avoid thigh chafing. No more thigh chafing, even on hot days. This makes life so much better: nothing worse than having to pull on a pair of spanx under your skirt when it's 100 degrees (that's 38 for you C people) and high humidity. I swear it increases my body temperature by 50% when I have to do that. No more! Sweet freedom! 

Now that is a great feeling. I've always hated spanx. While Jockey makes a nice product for wearing under skirts, my big waist always meant that they rolled down. High five on ditching those shorts!

Nice topic :)

I suppose my most recent one was after dinner with my folks I was wearing an old pair of shorts, slightly tightened but clearly it wasn't enough and I'm getting softer around the middle because as I stretched upward, my shorts went downward and I mean all the way down :D Luckily there was underwear.

First time I've ever been happy to be embarrassed. 

Aussie H - do you have any consignment stores you could try selling them through?

5 hours ago, Aksh said:

I suppose my most recent one was after dinner with my folks I was wearing an old pair of shorts, slightly tightened but clearly it wasn't enough and I'm getting softer around the middle because as I stretched upward, my shorts went downward and I mean all the way down :D Luckily there was underwear.

Funniest NSV! ^_^

Good to hear from you too! All well?

5 hours ago, Aksh said:

At least you were among family! A great NSV, even though it was embarrassing at the time :) 

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

Aussie H - do you have any consignment stores you could try selling them through?

No. I've actually given most of them away anyhow. I know what various friends and family members like to wear so what was suitable for them I gave them....everything else went to charity. The exception being that I've hung onto all my jeans.....determined my kids will get denim quilts in the future.

It was really just the few aspirational purchases that got me annoyed. I never thought I'd actually get into them let alone shrink too low before I ever got a chance to wear them. The only clothes that are wearable now from my pre-surgery multi-sized wardrobe are socks and scarves, with my now very oversized fluffy robes being extremely useful over the winter we are just moving out of now. I won't be buying anything now until my leg is out of the cast...So at least another 4 weeks to go before that could happen.

I forgot to mention this NSV from a week ago. At my son's girlfriend's fathers retirement party, her father saw me, looked right at me and said, "I don't recognize you". He said it twice, lol. He actually didn't know who I was :) I told him it was probably because I had shaved my head and lost 100lbs since he saw me last. He smiled and said "That'll do it"! Granted, I haven't seen him in a year, but it was still really cool B)

Edited by Trish1967

On 9/17/2017 at 9:07 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

I have a bunch of XL long and XXL long shirts and 2 sports coats that I have worn for years. I trimmed out of all the closet all the XXL shirts  [or 17 1/2 necks or 18 necks, 37 sleeves] and tried on all of the XL shirts. NONE fit me without looking like a sail. Issue: I had to leave on a business trip and had not one shirt I could wear, same for the sports coats. 

So, rattled, I bought 4 new short sleeved shirts, 16.5 necks, last week. All fit and my wife said pffft, buy 16" necks, they looked a touch too big. So, I ordered 4 new 16" neck/36" sleeve long-sleeved shirts, like I used to wear in my 20s (we are talking dinosaur time, folks). I also needed a new jacket, since when I took the old ones to my local tailor, they said they could not be done without looking bad and "just donate them, ok?" I ordered a new 44 inch jacket at the same time and donated my two jackets (they were 52" or 54" as I recall) and 24 shirts. My closet was BARE. 

The long sleeve shirts arrived the day I left on this business trip. They fit like a glove. And juicier yet: so did the jacket.

A picture...finally!! You look fantastic!! :D

Great NSV's...that huge, going from 52-54 jackets to 44! That's got to feel so good! Love the smile :) 

On 9/17/2017 at 11:01 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

YES! Great NSV! 

(Does this mean you have aspirations for participating in the future?)

Guilty. :ph34r:

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

Great photo.  You look fabulous (and happy too). 

Sadly, since you were in Indonesia, I doubt that there was any rum in that drink...:D 

3 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

Hee hee. Gotcha.:rolleyes:

Good luck! It's doable. Wanted to do this too, but have no knees or hips anymore, should have had WLS years ago. So will have to live vicariously thru you when you become Ironperson Curvy Mermaid.

4 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Great photo.  You look fabulous (and happy too). 

Sadly, since you were in Indonesia, I doubt that there was any rum in that drink...:D 

Yes, not a drop... but good for WLS diet adherence!

8 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

A picture...finally!! You look fantastic!! :D

Great NSV's...that huge, going from 52-54 jackets to 44! That's got to feel so good! Love the smile :) 

GREAT feeling... wonderful to be able to order stuff off the rack. Hoping I become the next decoration project for my Perfect Wife and Perfect MIL. :P

Will post avatar and more pics when bask in US. I suppose delay in posting pics is revealing, no?

16 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Funniest NSV! ^_^

Good to hear from you too! All well?

:D It really was funny as hell, my mums been laughing about it for days. 

And thanks BB & Jen, I'm doing pretty well all said and done. Thankful that potential problems and discomforts have been at a minimum.

13 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I forgot to mention this NSV from two weeks ago. At my son's girlfriend's fathers retirement party, her father saw me, looked right at me and said, "I don't recognize you". He said it twice, lol. He actually didn't know who I was :) I told him it was probably because I had shaved my head and lost 100lbs since he saw me last. He smiled and said "That'll do it"! Granted, I haven't seen him in a year, but it was still really cool B)

Nice! I look forward to such encounters. :) 

My NSV!

I bought a pair of shorts today in size 10. TEN?! When I had surgery, I was at an 18 or 20. 

I'm pretty sure vanity sizing came into play but I'm not going to question that right now. I'm going to put on my shorts and do a victory dance. 

I wish I had taken before and after photos that I could share. I had my husband take photos of me in my undies (a ratty bra and stretched out men's briefs in size XXL) the night before surgery. I'm too modest to post them on the forum. I was mortified to have him photograph me but something told me I should document those images. If I had only found TTF pre surgery, I would have taken appropriate "before" photos. 

Anyway, YAY!

IMG_5471.GIF

9 hours ago, CurvyMermaid said:

@CurvyMermaid That's so cool! I've always wanted to run a marathon. Several years ago, I started training but broke my knee and part of my leg. I don't know if my knees would be up to it but you've inspired me to think about it...while sitting on the couch. :lol:

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

My NSV!

I bought a pair of shorts today in size 10. TEN?! When I had surgery, I was at an 18 or 20. 

I'm pretty sure vanity sizing came into play but I'm not going to question that right now. I'm going to put on my shorts and do a victory dance. 

I wish I had taken before and after photos that I could share. I had my husband take photos of me in my undies (a ratty bra and stretched out men's briefs in size XXL) the night before surgery. I'm too modest to post them on the forum. I was mortified to have him photograph me but something told me I should document those images. If I had only found TTF pre surgery, I would have taken appropriate "before" photos. 

Anyway, YAY!

IMG_5471.GIF

(Awesome YAY video).

Now that would be the ultimate TTF challenge: all of us buck naked before and after photos, with strategically placed tape... over our eyes. Now THAT would increase the Lurker quotient!  I'll, uh, let @Cheesehead, @cinwa, or @Res Ipsa as the official Adults take this idea up... just trying to be helpful, of course. :)

ANYHOW personal NSVs are just as important as public NSVs. Congrats on the smaller shorts.

Edited by BurgundyBoy
Couldn't get last sentences on using phone so had to switch to laptop.

Congrats @NerdyLady! Who cares if it was vanity sizing!!! Tear that tag out and sew it on the outside for all to see! 

I hear you on the before and after photos. I took them (and measurements) wearing a sports bra and shorts. Right now they are for my own purposes but maybe someday I will post. And only until recently did I have photos of me in normal social situations. Ironically one of the final catalysts getting me to set my first bariatric surgery appointment was an incredibly unflattering photo sent to me by a friend. I was making a goofy face (as per usual) but my body was in profile. Profile for a fat person is like death. I was disgusted and shocked.

Wear the size 10's with a smile!! Perhaps this calls for a new celebratory tshirt saying...

For me it was the fact that I haven't worked out in a while (and I used to all of the time, tho I never enjoyed it).  So, I was inspired when @Kio suggested I start getting in better shape before my surgery so my surgery/recovery is easier....so today our youngest son had his first basketball practice and it was nice out so I got home from work and said to my husband, I am going to walk up to get Mason, do you want to come with me?  (he was an avid walker but hasn't walked since he got laid off last month).  So, we walked (and it was sunny but it got hot as soon as I started moving a lot!)....it was about 2 miles (round trip) and sweat was dripping down my back and down to my butt, and though I got home and changed my sweaty clothes and took my pulse (it was 120!) I felt good that I had worked my out of shape body!  Granted one day isn't going to make me a marathon runner but it sure feels good that I did it!!! :)

@NerdyLady....good for you! I hope you left your size tag hanging ON your shorts still!  Everytime time someone mentions it say "oh, my, how embarrassing that my size 10 tag is showing...silly me!" (leave it on and walk away! ha!) (and if you're feeling especially proud, substitute "skinny me" for "silly me" and see if anyone notices!!! 

24 minutes ago, CJireh said:

For me it was the fact that I haven't worked out in a while (and I used to all of the time, tho I never enjoyed it).  So, I was inspired when @Kio suggested I start getting in better shape before my surgery so my surgery/recovery is easier....so today our youngest son had his first basketball practice and it was nice out so I got home from work and said to my husband, I am going to walk up to get Mason, do you want to come with me?  (he was an avid walker but hasn't walked since he got laid off last month).  So, we walked (and it was sunny but it got hot as soon as I started moving a lot!)....it was about 2 miles (round trip) and sweat was dripping down my back and down to my butt, and though I got home and changed my sweaty clothes and took my pulse (it was 120!) I felt good that I had worked my out of shape body!  Granted one day isn't going to make me a marathon runner but it sure feels good that I did it!!! :)

That is so great, @CJireh!  Every time you do it, it'll get easier.  I find that if I walk two days in a row, it helps to take a day doing something else so my muscles can recuperate... and then I get at it for another two days.  Eventually I'll be fit enough not to need the break, but it certainly helps me now. :)  Plus, that's a great, healthy family activity - great habit to build!!

I had ordered a shirt online at Lane Bryant and had it delivered to the store for free shipping. Tonight I went up to pick it up and they were having a big 40% off sale in the store, so I looked around. I have been struggling finding stuff to wear at home because my clothes were all so big, you could see my bra exposed in a lot of my shirts and my pants were literally so loose and falling off that they were uncomfortable to wear. About 5 years ago, I lost about 50 pounds and as I lost, I got rid of my clothes thinking I would never need them again. Then I met my husband, got married, and had a baby - so I gained weight....all of it back and a few more. Needless to say, I am now at the size that I got rid of 5 years ago, and have nothing in my stock pile. I do have clothing the next size or two down, but that doesn't do me any good now. So, tonight I bought a few items. Here is where I had an amazing moment....I found myself dressing in clothing too big and as I showed the sale associate, she was like - girl that is too big...let's try the next size down and let's face it, you are only going to lose more weight (I told her I had gastric bypass). She was so nice, she was running around the store helping me find things that fit my body and found out that I now fit into a size 18 Super Skinny jeans, size 20 blue jean jacket, a shirt that was an 18/20, another shirt that was a 20, a sweater that is just a tad snug, but I still got the smaller size because I won't wear it for the next month or two. These clothes all fit me, but still give me the option to wear them as I drop another size or two. I was dumbfounded to say the least. I know that almost all jeans nowadays have Lycra in them to stretch, but honestly, seeing that size 18, just did me in. I was shell shocked, excited, and felt hot tears in my eyes. Same with that blue jean jacket. I even had to break down and get some new undies - as my others almost fall right off and are all crumpled up in my pants and uncomfortable. Pre-surgery I was wearing a 26/28 tops and 24 pants - and most were snug. Now I am fitting (with a little squeezing) into 18/20 sizes tops and bottoms. But I felt good tonight. It felt like I had actually began to feel the changes a little bit even though I can't really see them myself. With all of my issues post op and TPN, this shopping trip was the positive thing I needed to help me mentally get through my daily challenges. YAY!

Edited by Trish13