Jolls

NSV of the Week - whats yours?

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

......I was wondering about the beans for the chili too since I hadn't checked the carb count on those. I'd heard they were high, but I know you don't get many in 1/2-2/3c of chili anyway. My total carbs for the day are usually anywhere between 4-12g

Normally, I would not worry too much about the carbs from beans but I developed hypoglycemia post-RNY and carbs from starchy sources send my blood sugars way down.

I don't know how you're keeping your carbs so low.  Are you eating/drinking dairy and eating vegetables?  My carbs are usually 30-40% of my daily calories (approx. 1,800). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much of the world lives on a diet of rice and beans, and most of those places have no overweight people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Normally, I would not worry too much about the carbs from beans but I developed hypoglycemia post-RNY and carbs from starchy sources send my blood sugars way down.

I don't know how you're keeping your carbs so low.  Are you eating/drinking dairy and eating vegetables?  My carbs are usually 30-40% of my daily calories (approx. 1,800). 

I am eating about 2 ounces of cheese per day, and the rest is protein. Very rarely am I eating any vegetables yet, because I can only fit about 3 ounces (or less) of food in my pouch at once. I'm only eating around 500 calories a day right now. Every so often, I will have a slice or two of tomato for a snack, or a couple of ounces of raspberries, but that's it at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tmcgee said:

Much of the world lives on a diet of rice and beans, and most of those places have no overweight people.

I couldn't eat any rice at all, pre op, because it would send my blood sugar close to 600. I haven't had rice in years even though I love it. The only time I ever ate beans was in chili, and I'd like to try that again soon :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cinwa, I forgot...I don't drink milk, never have...I hate it, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my diet comes from dairy, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, very seldom milk, but once in awhile with muesli cereal. The rice I like is long grain and wild, not white.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tmcgee said:

Most of my diet comes from dairy, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, very seldom milk, but once in awhile with muesli cereal. The rice I like is long grain and wild, not white.

 

I usually put a tablespoon of fresh parm in my scrambled egg in the morning, I will eat an ounce of cheese with 2 ounces sliced turkey for lunch, then I have either chicken or fish for dinner. Sometimes I have a baby bell for a snack. I'm trying hard to focus on my protein right now, because I'm feeling much better since I've started doing that. My nutritionist says it's totally ok to trade some of the protein for veggies, but I don't feel as good when I do that. Since I'm only allowed 4 ounces of food per meal right now (I can't eat that much yet, lol) I'd rather have protein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

 My total carbs for the day are usually anywhere between 4-12g

Do you have any energy? My carbs sit at around 80-100g a day. Both my dietician and my surgeon want them increased at this point. While I'm not keen to increase them further, I admit that the days when I do I have so much more energy and can get lots of physical activity in which is a huge bonus at the moment for me. Without them I'm completely drained of energy now. I realise we are at different ends of the weightloss process, but yours seem extremely low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Do you have any energy? My carbs sit at around 80-100g a day. Both my dietician and my surgeon want them increased at this point. While I'm not keen to increase them further, I admit that the days when I do I have so much more energy and can get lots of physical activity in which is a huge bonus at the moment for me. Without them I'm completely drained of energy now. I realise we are at different ends of the weightloss process, but yours seem extremely low.

I do agree that my carbs are very low right now. It's not intentional, but I feel much better with higher protein and lower carbs than the other way around. I have as much energy as I did pre op right now. I was eating less than 50 grams of carbs a day pre op and that's what got my sugar under control. When I can eat more than 3 ounces of food in one sitting I will definitely be adding in healthy carbs. I have kind of a unique situation in that my thyroid meds are a little out of whack right now (due to surgery), and since I don't have a thyroid, my energy level takes a hit from that alone. Most days are good, but some days I'm pretty low. It'll take some time to get it straightened around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aussie H, I wanted to let you know that I see my endocrinologist next Thursday. I had blood work for that appointment a couple of days ago, so I will have some idea where I'm at. Then I have my 3 month post op with my surgeon on August 31st, and I will be discussing this with him then. Thank you for being concerned! :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I've tried the morning star burgers in the past, and they aren't bad! I've never thought of even trying those...thanks for the reminder! :) I'm not someone that NEEDS beef in my life, I'd just like to have it once in a while for the extra boost of protein. But between the sliced turkey, canned chicken salad, fresh chicken and cheese, I've been coming pretty close to, if not over, my goal. I'll give it a shot once the tortilla recipe is located, lol.

@Trish1967 I love your new avatar. You look so happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

Do you have any energy? My carbs sit at around 80-100g a day. Both my dietician and my surgeon want them increased at this point. While I'm not keen to increase them further, I admit that the days when I do I have so much more energy and can get lots of physical activity in which is a huge bonus at the moment for me. Without them I'm completely drained of energy now. I realise we are at different ends of the weightloss process, but yours seem extremely low.

@Aussie H Hmm. Your comment is ringing a bell in my head. I envy folks on this forum who say they have lots of energy. My energy is nil. My carb count is low, as I'm focused on protein. As a diabetic in remission, I'm finding it hard to let myself have carbs. Maybe it's time to increase my carb count. 

Thanks for the food for thought. No pun intended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I average around 30-40 g of carbs per day, which works out well for me, with 600-800 calories. It seems to work well for me - plenty of energy, etc. 

I have a bit of fruit and veg every day but not much! Mostly protein, lots of it in dairy form, the rest on eggs, fake meat, and seafood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Aussie H Hmm. Your comment is ringing a bell in my head. I envy folks on this forum who say they have lots of energy. My energy is nil. My carb count is low, as I'm focused on protein. As a diabetic in remission, I'm finding it hard to let myself have carbs. Maybe it's time to increase my carb count. 

Thanks for the food for thought. No pun intended. 

Don't misunderstand when I say I have as much energy as I did pre op, lol. I haven't had 'lots' of energy in years. I don't have a lot of energy by any means. It's just not any worse than it was before. I don't think my lack of carbs, in my case, is causing low energy. When I was eating higher carb, and my sugars were running high, I could barely stay awake. That's why this feels better to me. My thyroid (lack of) is causing my lack of energy because my med level is most certainly screwed up. I know I definitely need more carbs, but like you, I'm a diabetic in remission, and I have to be very careful how many carbs I add back in. There is just SOOO much stuff to balance out, and if it's not just the right balance, something is always going to be off... Frustrating :( 

i do have to say this though...I will take this over sugars in the 500's anyday!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

 

i do have to say this though...I will take this over sugars in the 500's anyday!!

CAN I GET AN AMEN???? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

CAN I GET AN AMEN???? :D

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I average around 30-40 g of carbs per day, which works out well for me, with 600-800 calories. It seems to work well for me - plenty of energy, etc. 

I have a bit of fruit and veg every day but not much! Mostly protein, lots of it in dairy form, the rest on eggs, fake meat, and seafood. 

I think 30-40 carbs would probably be my limit, but should work for me too, eventually. I was eating, on average, 800 calories a day on my pre op diet, and now that sounds like so many calories!!! The first time I went over 500, I felt like I must have binged that day or something! It's so weird how everything took a 180• turn after surgery, and I'm almost afraid to eat 600 calories now. I think it's because I'm still so unsure of everything, my weight loss has slowed, and I still question every bite I put in my mouth. Every. One. I have not eaten one thing I'm not supposed to eat yet. How can your brain go from giving you permission to eat everything in sight to questioning everything you put in your mouth? Sorry for the odd posts today, I'm having a really off day today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Trish1967 I love your new avatar. You look so happy!

@NerdyLady...thank you! :wub: The pic was taken on my mini vacation...how could I not be happy? Lol :) We were on the ferry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

I think 30-40 carbs would probably be my limit, but should work for me too, eventually. I was eating, on average, 800 calories a day on my pre op diet, and now that sounds like so many calories!!! The first time I went over 500, I felt like I must have binged that day or something! It's so weird how everything took a 180• turn after surgery, and I'm almost afraid to eat 600 calories now. I think it's because I'm still so unsure of everything, my weight loss has slowed, and I still question every bite I put in my mouth. Every. One. I have not eaten one thing I'm not supposed to eat yet. How can your brain go from giving you permission to eat everything in sight to questioning everything you put in your mouth? Sorry for the odd posts today, I'm having a really off day today.

Poor you!!! :( My sympathies for your off day.

I don't have blood sugar problems, so I've got some leeway that many others don't - I know I'm lucky. Going on vacation forced me to deal with suboptimal food choices - in retrospect, it was probably good for me. Until then, I had been eating only what I'm "supposed to." Now I feel like I can mess around with things a bit and still stay on target. I think that'll get better with practice. I'm trying to be mentally more relaxed while still hitting targets. It'll come with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

@NerdyLady...thank you! :wub: The pic was taken on my mini vacation...how could I not be happy? Lol :) We were on the ferry 

I've seen the signs for the ferry several times and I've always wanted to go. Maybe it's because I'm not from the Northeast, but there is something super cool about going from VT to NY. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I've seen the signs for the ferry several times and I've always wanted to go. Maybe it's because I'm not from the Northeast, but there is something super cool about going from VT to NY. 

That was my first time taking the ferry and it was pretty cool! It only took about an hour from VT to NY, but then we had another hour or so drive to get home. It's so relaxing out there on the water, and having your car with you is so weird but cool! You should try it if you get the chance :) it's a lot of fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trish1967 said:

That was my first time taking the ferry and it was pretty cool! It only took about an hour from VT to NY, but then we had another hour or so drive to get home. It's so relaxing out there on the water, and having your car with you is so weird but cool! You should try it if you get the chance :) it's a lot of fun! 

I've been on several ferry boats and they have all been thrilling. Maybe that will be my new hobby? Lynda sails around the world on ferries! The VT to NY one seems like it is really pretty. It might be even lovelier in the fall with the changing colors? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Poor you!!! :( My sympathies for your off day.

I don't have blood sugar problems, so I've got some leeway that many others don't - I know I'm lucky. Going on vacation forced me to deal with suboptimal food choices - in retrospect, it was probably good for me. Until then, I had been eating only what I'm "supposed to." Now I feel like I can mess around with things a bit and still stay on target. I think that'll get better with practice. I'm trying to be mentally more relaxed while still hitting targets. It'll come with time.

Ugh!! I commented on this and must not have hit the submit button!!! I hate it when I do that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

I've been on several ferry boats and they have all been thrilling. Maybe that will be my new hobby? Lynda sails around the world on ferries! The VT to NY one seems like it is really pretty. It might be even lovelier in the fall with the changing colors? 

I bet that would be gorgeous! And if you ride without your car, it's really cheap, lol. Not that it's that expensive to bring your car along, but it might be a nice way to travel on a budget! Lol

Edited by Trish1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops!! I forgot what topic we were posting in! I think this thread should have been under a new post in socialize, lol :) 

Edited by Trish1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now