Breast Augmentation Question

GAviv

Saw my surgeon for a check up today. He was very pleased with progress, although there is still a lot of swelling in my breastbone and around my back. To be expected I suppose. Those annoying five pounds are still hanging around :(. He promised they would be gone but it may take a few more WEEKS (seriously?) for swelling to go down.

Good news is I don't gave to wear the band that was sucking the life out of me anymore! And ugly sports bra for one more week then bra shopping :). He said to expect soreness and tingling for a few more weeks too. They will take after photos in a few weeks when I am more healed.

I'm really happy with the results so far! Progress report complete!

So glad you're healing well!  You're certainly braver than I ever will be.  Just try to remember that the five pounds are not "real".   Its not like you actually gained fat.  They'll go! (and without work)  :-)  

Thanks Carrie! Dr. Murphy keeps telling me to not weigh, but it's been a part of my routine for too long not to. And I feel like I worked too hard... I know it will right itself eventually.

Patience is NOT one of my better qualities :)

Weighing itself is probably not the problem. It's your brain's panic response that is the issue. Maybe this will be good cognitive behavioral therapy for it. :-). Also, keep in mind that 5 pounds can be normal fluctuation for people of normal weight. :-).

Saw my surgeon for a check up today. He was very pleased with progress, although there is still a lot of swelling in my breastbone and around my back. To be expected I suppose. Those annoying five pounds are still hanging around :(. He promised they would be gone but it may take a few more WEEKS (seriously?) for swelling to go down.

It's got to be edema, a pint of water weighs a pound. When I had hernia surgery 20 years ago, it took at least two weeks to go away.

Good news is I don't gave to wear the band that was sucking the life out of me anymore! And ugly sports bra for one more week then bra shopping :). He said to expect soreness and tingling for a few more weeks too. They will take after photos in a few weeks when I am more healed.

I'm really happy with the results so far! Progress report complete!

Sounds like you are doing fabulous!!! So proud of you!!!! :)

I think every surgeon is different. For me, the breast augmentation, nipple repair and upper body lift together was $8,500 after much negotiation :). I was extremely pleased with my surgeon and would definitely go back to him if I do anything else in the future.

Unfortunately, insurance does not cover any of the cost. But I would do it again in a pinch, despite the tough recovery and lingering soreness!

How did you start by talking to the surgeon about negotiating? I am scared to death to say a thing to him!! Did you say - "I have x amount of money" and can you do ABC for me?

How did you start by talking to the surgeon about negotiating? I am scared to death to say a thing to him!! Did you say - "I have x amount of money" and can you do ABC for me?

Pretty much! When I went for the consultation, they talked to me and examined me - whole thing took 2 hours and was free. I left with a quote and different surgical options. Once I decided exactly what I wanted done, I called the office and said I want to schedule these three procedures but what is the best price (compared to quote of $9,800) you can give me? They said they will do $9,000. I said can you PLEASE do it all for $8,500 as we are at the top of our budget already. She talked to surgeon and they agreed. I was referred to him from by Bariatric surgeon, and I think that helped.

When I first started thinking about the boob job, my husband and I budgeted for around $7k. But that didn't factor in the skin removal/upper body lift. And no, I didn't shop around. Went for one consultation and had surgery two weeks later!

GaVIV - I want the same breast surgery. Will I be OK 7 weeks out? I need to go to a convention .

You will be just tine. Monday is three weeks for me. At the two week mark I had to fly to Vegas for a conference and I have a demanding job.

There is still a lot of soreness, but a lot of muscles are involved so that is to be expected. At my check up yesterday they said to expect soreness for a few weeks to a few months. Everyone is different.

• 2 weeks later...

Were all here for you. I would of called you if I lived in the same part of the world. Good on you! What a lovely reward to yourself after your hard work. Good on you! My boobs are going quite quickly and thinking of saving up for some but don't heal well at all and thats what putting me off. Taken 5weeks just for my external key hole scars to heal. Keep us posted x

Brief update - saw surgeon yesterday and he said healing is on track. Finally get to wear a regular bra instead of the glamorous sports bra I've been wearing for the last four weeks! Have an appointment for a fitting today, yay!

I'm feeling better, but still have some discomfort. Much better, though sleeping is still tough. Holding onto 3 pounds still :(

Here are a few pics from this morning...my kids are such hams!

post-30984-0-07361500-1390667150_thumb.j

post-30984-0-48280600-1390667166_thumb.j

post-30984-0-19471400-1390667188_thumb.j

post-30984-0-34668900-1390667201_thumb.j

nice!  Your kids are adorable and the "girls" are looking good, too!  :)

What she said! You're looking great!

You look absolutely wonderful! They are the right size for you!! :) Your kids are precious!!!!

Edited by Guest

You look great! Cute kids, too! Your body looks proportionate, so happy for you, Congratulations. Jen

Awesome! You look terrific. Kids are cute as ever, too. :-).

Thanks everyone! These kids makes the sun rise and set for me, simply amazing.

The fitting went great and the girls look even better in a real bra. I am thrilled, although the size was bigger than I anticipated. Someone else in the house is very thrilled ;)

Bigger is better I always say- I want to have big boobs and a tiny waist - my goal. I have a 10K cap as my husband refuses to pay one dime more. I had to postpone the first consultation, but have one this coming week. I am going to listen to tjhe price. I want a breast lift and implants! do they do that?

I need brachioplasty and maybe a thigh job and def an under the chin , platysmaplasty. If I have to choose because of money caps. I have to go with the breasts and the face, and try to tighten the muscles of my upper arms and thights. Sigh, wish I were rich. Husband just informed me to do this surgery will cause us to have only one vehicle. we were set to buy a second , but just can't afford it now, Or rather , he WONT BUY  a second car. He is very reticent and even angry that he has to pay for this.

In fact, he insists that my surgeon submit it to the insurance co FIRST , BEFORE HE LAY DOWN ONE RED CENT! I am beyond furious. I am wondering if the surgeon can do all four things for me for 10K? does anyone think so? Thanks in advance for the advice , lennon

Edited by lennonforever

another question I have , as stated I am planning on the breast lift and implants- I want to be BIG. But I have 20 lb left to go for my goal weight. Will that loss of weight impact the breast procedure? That is , will the loss of the extra 20 lb need for the breasts to have to be done again?

Honestly, I can't imagine any surgeon doing that much without you bring at goal and further out from such a major surgery.

I would urge you to wait, but that is personal opinion. It's a lot of recovery after a bypass not so long ago.

Just a heads up on insurance for plastics. My understanding is that some insurance companies will cover skin removal in patients that have medical reasons, such as abrasions with repeated infections, but that almost none (hate to be definitive) will cover such surgeries for cosmetic reasons only. My insurance company (which is often on par with others), will cover abdominoplasty for medical reasons, but only if a WLS patient has lost a particular amount of weight (forget what the standard is) and only if they have kept that weight off for 2 years after surgery. They want to make sure your weight is stable before investing.

I agree with GAviv that you will have an easier physical recovery if you wait a bit longer. Your body is likely still recovering from the RNY and is replenishing its stores. With the limited amount of protein we get early on, it's hard for the body to fight and to heal. That said, it's obviously a personal choice and perhaps the mental relief it will bring you is worth the added hassle and struggle to you. I would be careful, though, with any surgeon willing to do everything you want for 10k. That's a fairly small amount and you might get what you pay for. Good luck!!

yeah, I guess all four procedures for 10K is unreasonable to ask. So disheartened. I guess I have to choose 2. Going to see the surgeon tomorrow. I will hear his price, then negotiate if I can.