lenny02

New here...surgery in 7 days

Hello all! My name is Jenn and I'm getting ready to under go surgery next Monday. I just started week 2 of my liquid diet and have to admit I did great durning the week but the weekend was very rough on me. I ended up cheating by having some crackers and now I'm freaked out I've ruined everything! I wasn't nervous at all until today. I meet with the dr this Friday and then surgery Monday. I know I can get through this and looking forward to a healthier me. I'm young and have so much I want still, such as finding a husband and possibly a family some day and being able to enjoy outdoor activities. Oh I hope I haven't already messed things up by cheating a little on this diet. I know I'm only hurting myself by doing that, so I'm starting fresh today and sticking with. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome! You have found a great site for info and support! My surgery is next Tuesday the 17th. I am not having to do the 2 week liquid diet, but I can imagine how hard it is. Just remember tomorrow is a new day. I don't think a few crackers hurt you, remember we are all human. Best of luck on your surgery! Remember to let us know how it goes so we know you are ok.

Welcome! Don't sweat the crackers, you will be fine, just committ to not repeating. I think the pre-op is hard because you don't have the benefit of the post-op tiny tummy that isn't hungry all the time. It amazes me six weeks post-op how little food satisfies me. Since my surgery I am no longer diabetic which is the best victory ever, NOTHING tastes as good as not being diabetic feels. Good luck to you, you are halfway through the pre-op and next week will be here before you know it. I will be saving you a nice toasty seat on the loser's bench! Jen

I had surgery on the 4th with some complications. I did the 2 week liquid and did mess up a few times and it does not mess you up eating crackers. Just start over and continue on! U have a great outlook and ought to do fine! I was taking 70 units of insulin 2x daily and I have done 2 units 2x a day now! It is what I was wanting to do! Get rid of my diabetes and I can only pray that it continues!!

I had surgery on the 4th with some complications. I did the 2 week liquid and did mess up a few times and it does not mess you up eating crackers. Just start over and continue on! U have a great outlook and ought to do fine! I was taking 70 units of insulin 2x daily and I have done 2 units 2x a day now! It is what I was wanting to do! Get rid of my diabetes and I can only pray that it continues!!

YAY! for knocking out the diabetes! I am having surgery for that exact reason. Hopefully, soon you won't need any insulin at all.

Good luck on your surgery.    I am sure you can move on from the cracker incident .  consider it a learning experience.  :)

Thank you all so much for thoughtfull words! I was feeling really down!! I'm back on track and Monday will be here before I know it!! Congrats to all that have been through this! You are truely amazing people to look up to and soon I will be there too! I love this site!  :D 

I am on the liquid diet.  I have done tons of reading online about why we must have a 2 week liquid diet and why it is different for each person.  I was really sad the first few days because I miss food in general.  I am drinking 3-4 protein shakes a day and I can have broth, so I looked at the nutritional value on both to see what I was putting in my body.  Basically you want to focus on reducing the size of your liver for surgery to reduce the risk of complications and it also reduces the fat tissues around the surgical area.  so your main goal is to focus on high protein and low, low carbs and no sugar what so ever. I will admit that I have cheated as well but not with crackers because they are carbs.  I had a shrimp the other day all protein and I had a bit of cheese the day before. I don't know if it will hurt me or make a difference but I can pretty much guarantee that here and there is not a big problem as long as its not a visit to mcdonalds and downing a big mac.  some people are still allowed to eat, I think its all about the doctor wanting to limit risks. 

Welcome!