Mucus and Gagging After Meals

My mother had gastric bypass 10 years ago and last year had an ulcer that has since healed.  Everyday when she eats she gets very gaggy after just a few bites and many times throws up mucus.  I had my bypass over a year ago and never had this occur.  She drinks coffee when she gets up and I thought this would help get rid of the mucus in her pouch but it does not.  Before the ulcer she could eat very well and tolerate almost anything.  Now she can hardly eat at all and lost an additional 40 pounds.  Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

Well they scoped her from both ends and can't find anything wrong but still gagging and mucus.  No clue whats up.

I get this if I take bites that are too big, too dry or don't chew them enough.  Starts with that lump feeling, and then it's like your mouth makes too much saliva and sometimes I end up throwing up, but it's not my food, just like a wad of mucus.  Thankfully I've only had it a few times, but it's miserable when it does happen.

Anyway, sorry to get all TMI, but I guess the point is maybe her bites are too big or she's not chewing enough?  Maybe her pouch tolerance has changed a bit?  Sorry if it's not terribly helpful, but that's what causes it for me anyway.

I've had similar issues, though obviously I'm not 10 years out.  It could be something her body just isn't tolerating anymore.  My nut said that if your body doesn't want it, it'll produce the mucus and make you want to get rid of it.  So it could be that she developed an allergy, or just her body's wants or needs have changed.  But I would defientally suggest that she make an appointment with her doctor and find out what's going on.

They call that "the foamies" right?

I get that if I eat too much and/or too fast. Throwing up mucus and no food. I'm a little over 4 months post op so I'm a relative "newbie".

But, after 10 years post op, I cant imagine why thats happening to her now.

• 6 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello! I’m 7 months post op. I had gastric bypass & 10 years ago i had done the sleeve. This time it’s very different for me. I’m annoyed by the side effects all the time. Excess mucus & excess saliva, nausea, I feel gassy all the time... I cannot feel pleasure while eating anymore. I eat somply because i need to survive but it’s been such a horrible activity... I’m fainting due to food dumping & i have zero energy all the time. Standing up is tiring, can you imagine? Going up the stairs has become nearly impossible.. i did lose A LOT of weight, did my vitamins check up tests they’re all very normal! I even have extra b12 in my blood.. i really don’t know what to do to feel better.. my doctor doesn’t know either! 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:34 AM, Miriam A. said:

Hello! I’m 7 months post op. I had gastric bypass & 10 years ago i had done the sleeve. This time it’s very different for me. I’m annoyed by the side effects all the time. Excess mucus & excess saliva, nausea, I feel gassy all the time... I cannot feel pleasure while eating anymore. I eat somply because i need to survive but it’s been such a horrible activity... I’m fainting due to food dumping & i have zero energy all the time. Standing up is tiring, can you imagine? Going up the stairs has become nearly impossible.. i did lose A LOT of weight, did my vitamins check up tests they’re all very normal! I even have extra b12 in my blood.. i really don’t know what to do to feel better.. my doctor doesn’t know either! 

Things may change for you considering you are only 7 months out.  I have the gassy problem at times and it has not changed but I am almost 11 months post revision.  I rarely get enjoyment anymore eating either.  What are you dumping on?  I would imagine you are not getting enough food if you are dumping a lot and weak.

I'm 7 months post-op and do get the foamies most every meal but I also have gerd. I had gerd stage 3 before the surgery; not a fun thing. I still have the gerd but not so severe now. I honestly am not sure if some of the effects of the gagging are from the surgery or the gerd but if your mother started getting these symptoms after the ulcer, gerd is a very, very good possibility. A Dr can check on that to see; it's tough to know for certain anything after having the surgery as many symptoms due to gastrointestinal disorders can overlap or mimic other problems. 

48 minutes ago, ichabodny said:

I'm 7 months post-op and do get the foamies most every meal but I also have gerd. I had gerd stage 3 before the surgery; not a fun thing. I still have the gerd but not so severe now. I honestly am not sure if some of the effects of the gagging are from the surgery or the gerd but if your mother started getting these symptoms after the ulcer, gerd is a very, very good possibility. A Dr can check on that to see; it's tough to know for certain anything after having the surgery as many symptoms due to gastrointestinal disorders can overlap or mimic other problems. 

Hi, I seen where you say you still have GERD with RNY and I do also.  You are the first person I have seen to have it after RNY.  What does your DR. say the reason is for this considering RNY was suppose to get rid of it ?   Are you still on your PPI ?  I still take the same dosage I did before the revision but have gone from erosive esophagitis D to A.