Jolls

Really? 24s?

See picture.  Both are labeled as size 24.  Look at the difference....  I have two pair that 'smaller' size 24 so it makes me wonder if the pair I can actually wear are really 24s or if they are actually 26s.  Those two 'smaller' 24s seem like they would be 18s really, there is no way on earth I can get them even close to buttoned.

post-31510-0-41333000-1384627291_thumb.j

Hi Jolls

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was standardized sizing?  I find it's a bit of a hit and miss sort of thing when purchasing new clothing.  Since I've done a fair bit online as my size has changed every few months, I've found I tend to stick to brands I have an accurate sense of their size.  I personally prefer to wear clothing on the loose side so only give up things when they're at the falling off or "where ever did you find that?" stage.  Still I can wear size 10's and mediums but still buy some XL's.  In fact, my new winter coat sized small so I purchased an XXL so I could wear sweaters underneath.  Go figure...  Frustrating--yes;   :wacko:  exasperating--yes;   :unsure:  solution--haven't got one yet!  If you think of something that will motivate manufacturer's to change (that involves mass input), please let me know--I'll be on board for sure! 

It drives me crazy! I have a friend who is 30 pounds heavier than I and 4 inches shorter... she has pants that are a "smaller" size than mine. Yeah, the tag says size 8 but they are most def bigger than my 10's.

I ordered a bunch of tall pants on kohls website and some of the 10's were huge, others skin tight. crazy.

and on top of the difference between sizes now, realize that women's sizes are 'adjusted' all the time.  what was a 12 back in the 60's is a 10 or 8 now.  the garment industry (especially women's) just tries to make folks feel better as we got larger.  at least with men's waist measurements they are pretty close, but then we get relaxed fit, etc and wear our 'waist' under our fat Dunlap tire..  :)

Screw it. You can get a pair on that says 24. That means you wear 24's.

Also black jeans are always smaller size than regular jeans. Regular jeans loose some starch in the fiber and stretch as the material is bleached. Black jeans are dyed not bleached--the composition of the material isn't compromised so they are always smaller. I always have to try on black or darker jeans and sometimes need a bigger size.

You can stretch them in the bathtub. When I was a teen, we bought our jeans a size too small and then would lay in a bathtub of warm water with them on and slowly work the zipper up. Then you just never ever put them in the dryer. Lol

I've always said that they use Taiwan tape measures, might as well blame it on metric! Accuracy seems to be forbidden when it comes to numbers in clothing sizes. Drives me crazy!

Edited by tmcgee

It's so infuriating too! I have 4 pairs of Levi's each a different size and all of them fit me! Ranging from 10-14! One pair of 12s fit slightly smaller than the 10s. It makes no sense!

I have just learned to try everything on.  In most brands, my size is consistent, but some just run differently.  Makes shopping a bit of an adventure, but I'm still a shopaholic!

I find it most frustrating that the sizes differ within brands. I get that there might be some differences between stores and brands, but if I buy two pairs of pants from Old Navy I expect them to fit the same! Buying new clothes after surgery if one thing I am dreading, but then looking forward to, but then terrified of......

You also have to factor in fit or cut of pants within same brand.  Old Navy has so many different fits and they do differ in sizing.

I still cannot wear the 2 pair of black 24 jeans in that picture.  I still wear comfortably the blue 24 jeans in that picture.

I just bought a pair of 20 and a pair of 18s tonight that fit.  I also made my mom take off her size 18 jeans she was wearing so I could try them on....and I buttoned them (barely, but they got buttoned).   I GIVE UP.

I don't know what size I wear!!!!!!

The sizes are confusing. When I was 25 and just had baby #3 I weighed 135 pounds and was horrified I wore a size ten, I specifically remember buying two dresses to wear to a family funeral. Today I fit in a size 16......not a 16W :-). But I see people all the time talking about sizes and I know that at 110 pounds I was a size 2 or 4, so it blows me away when someone at around 130 pounds wears a four. Makes me wish I saved old clothes from the late 80's to see how bad the vanity sizing has become. I am not planning on shopping for pants until after Christmas, so it will be interesting and or disheartening to go see if I fit in a 14 by then. Jen

Ever since I was a skinny kid, I'd buy pants two pairs at a time, one pair would always fit different than the other. It's still true.

I used to get ticked when I had to try on a bigger size and then I realized it doensn't matter what the label says so long as the pants fit! :P Even as I lose weight I still try everything on because they are all so drastically different from pair to pair and label to label.  I figure no one has to know what size I'm wearing except me, so if they are a size 20 or a size 12, if they fit no one else will know the difference.

While I do agree, it really doesn't matter in the end what size I get over this gut - I'd still like to know what size I'm officially in.  I've claimed for a long time now I have not dropped many sizes despite dropping 180lbs.....  but if I am actually wearing 18s now that kind of makes me a liar.  I've dropped a crapton of sizes.  So I don't know how to figure it out.  Pair of 24 I wear all the time - pair of 24s I can't even button - pair of 20s that feel awesome and 18s that I can even breathe in.

Some clothes are 24w or straight 24 which is a difference in size.  Maybe this is the reason!!??!

Jolls, I know the feeling...I have some 16 slacks that are so comfy...and some 18's that I can barely buttom...my problem 2 is that I have chicken legs and the barrel middle section...my legs could probably fill a size 10 comfortable... I'll be happy when the weight will start coming off the "middle" more....cause it's taken all my thighs and buttocks... yuck !!!!

In men's clothing, I know "vanity" sizing is the norm now.

I recently had to move a bunch of size 38 pants out of my closet due to the fact that the butt looked like I was carrying a load back there.

So Im down to a few 36s.  Various brands, Buffalo, Lucky, etc.  But when I went upstairs and found an old pair of size 36 Levis 501 button fly jeans from about 15 years ago…. no way.  Not even close to fitting.

I used to get ticked when I had to try on a bigger size and then I realized it doensn't matter what the label says so long as the pants fit! :P Even as I lose weight I still try everything on because they are all so drastically different from pair to pair and label to label.  I figure no one has to know what size I'm wearing except me, so if they are a size 20 or a size 12, if they fit no one else will know the difference.

This!  It feels good to be a certain size, but at the end of the day what matters is how your clothes LOOK on you.  I am pretty consistent size at certain brands, but at others it can fluctuate.  I try everything on and go from there.

Until designers start putting size labels on the outside, you will be ok :)

I like looser clothes. Tried on a medium shirt today I swam in it! The small was even big. Then tried a different shirt and took a large! Black Friday I had a small, medium and large shirt in my cart and all fit! I couldn't imagine ordering online!

I range from a sz 4-8.  Mostly sz 6.  Tops are small or medium.  However, workout tops tend to run small I have mediums that fit, but would feel more comfortable if they were not as fitting.  I guess they think people who work out are all skinny.  I love to shop online, but I find with pants I have to go into the store or I spend my time returning them. I can do tops online.  Old navy pants just do not fit me well.  I think you have to be very tall and most are skinny jeans. I have a few pair of skinny shaped  pants which fit, but I think straight legs ins more attractive, but kind of hard to find this year.  The last time I went to buy a pair of black jeans I think I had at least 15 pair and could not find one that I liked.  I had no trouble getting black jeans plus sz.  go figure.  Good luck with your shopping.  You are doing  amazing.  Love your new haircut.

Screw it. You can get a pair on that says 24. That means you wear 24's.

Also black jeans are always smaller size than regular jeans. Regular jeans loose some starch in the fiber and stretch as the material is bleached. Black jeans are dyed not bleached--the composition of the material isn't compromised so they are always smaller. I always have to try on black or darker jeans and sometimes need a bigger size.

You can stretch them in the bathtub. When I was a teen, we bought our jeans a size too small and then would lay in a bathtub of warm water with them on and slowly work the zipper up. Then you just never ever put them in the dryer. Lol

The material makes a difference too. 100% cotton Is the material of most jeans. As you say, they shrink when laundered - the heavier gage material, the more it shrinks. I have mine heavy starched and creased. Over time this makes the material really soft, but it requires a very hot ironing press - which shrinks the jeans even more. (I like the look of creased jeans.) Some jeans, however, have 1 - 5% Spandex. These don't shrink as much and they stretch more when worn. This material is a bit thinner, but I love how comfortable they are. Fav brand is Buffalo.

Generally the cheaper the clothes the bigger the size. Also big difference between juniors vs womans. An 18 in womans may fit well but an 18 in jrs no way the cuts are very different for juniors.