nancyrose123

anxious about how I'll "bounce back"... in a couple of ways

Only a month to go, after a loooooong 2 1/2 years on the wait list and going through the pre-op STUFF!

I'm worried about how soon I'll get my energy back after major surgery.  I will have four weeks off work post surgery.  I don't have a physical job - - but I do have a tremendously stressful job, lots of exposure to trauma, and I know I'm going to have serious work ahead of me to cope with those pressures, and adapt to a new way of living.  Don't get me wrong - I love, love, LOVE my job - - I get to use my entire brain and all of my skills, I'm well compensated, and very appreciated.  But I'm scared.

Second area of anxiety?  I'm 44 - and my skin probably isn't as elastic as a much younger patient.  Right now, I look pretty young for my age....am I going to turn into a saggy, wrinkly mess?  I can't believe how vain I am being - - the health benefits are going to sooooo improve my well-being, add years to my life - - yet here I am freaking about the prospect of a turkey neck.

:huh:  huh?  What am I doing to myself? 

Awww, You really do sound ready honestly. Those are the kinds of questions we ask when we are getting serious! I was 47 when I had my gastric bypass. I work in education and had the surgery the very day after school let out! Having the summer off doesn't help my gauge how long recovery really took.

I am a bit soft, but not a wrinkly mess. I think I dislike my neck the most. But when I look at friends my age without WLS, they look like this too! So I guess it isn't too bad:) Heck it is a double chin or a bit of a soft neck.

When I was fat I filled my clothes out and hid in them.

As a thinner person, anything I don't like hides perfectly when dressed and I feel put together:)

We are hardest on ourselves. I didn't like myself puffy and I can still find fault thinner. So what we are doing to ourselves is getting back our health!

I sailed through surgery and recovery and was back at the desk in my home office, working one week later--at age 60. I did have lunch time naps and went to bed an hour early for awhile until my energy level improved. I know enough to go easy on myself so I heal quicker. You should be in great shape with a whole month off. Take the time to walk as much as you can--you will feel much better, physically and emotionally.

As for the turkey neck stuff, there are plenty of options for dealing with that if it occurs. First impressions are paramount and I decided my large body mass was making much more of an impression on others than my neck ever would. You can drape the neck in beautifully colored clothes and scarves and add a dazzling smile, but you can't hide the Evil Twin you are lugging around now!

Good luck on your journey!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! May all go smoothly for you.

Energy wise, you will need your rest after such major surgery. Take advantage of that time off work and sleep as much as you can. Your body will be completely exhausted. Keep your schedule to a minimum and follow your Bariatric team's recommendations.

Regarding the "saggy skin", in my opinion it all boils down to genes, age, weight history and pregnancies. One can work out until they drop flat on their face, the skin will still be there sagging. Some are lucky and bounce back nicely while others are left with extras. In that case, plastic reconstruction is the only option.

I am in my 30s and still carry some leftovers following my massive weight loss. I am aware that, only plastic surgery can fix that. I'll gladly take it over the never ending health troubles I used to struggle with on a daily basis.

I'm worried about how soon I'll get my energy back after major surgery.

I was pretty fatigued for six weeks, more carbohydrates helped (nutritionist orders), and then one day, the energy returned completely.

I was back at work in 4 days part time and full time after 8 days.  Like you I don't have a physical job, but it is something I love.  And have trouble staying away from.  

My starting BMI was a bit lower then yours, but not much.  And Im older.  I am blessed to have very little skin sag, no turkey neck.  Vigorous exercise really helps.  I lost weight slowly, which could be the reason for that.  My skin type leans to the oily side, which is probably helpful too.  My dermatologist is amazed.

Good luck in your journey.