freee2beme

Looking for a buddy in Maryland

I had the gastric sleeve surgery on 10/21/13 and I'm looking for a buddy that understands this journey...the ups and downs.

Good Luck! Im in Maryland but had a different surgery and am only slightly more experienced than you, so I dont know how much help I could be.

Hi.  I am also in Maryland, scheduled to have the surgery at Franklin Square Hospital on 11/21.  I started my pre-op diet yesterday.  I don't feel hungry, but I am want to eat something desperately.  So you had the surgery at WHC.  Are you a Medstar employee?

Thanks for responding.  I am not a Medstar employee, I actually ended up at WHC as a reccomendation from one of the parents at my daughter's dance school.  She went through the bariatric center at WHC and had great success so I figured I would go there for the orientation.  They have a really good program.  Good luck with you pre-op diet.

Thanks.  Good luck to you as well!  I work in Silver Spring, but I chose to have the surgery in Baltimore because that is where my family lives and I wanted them to be near by just in case there are complications related to the surgery.  FSH also has a nice program.  I feel like I learned a lot during the six month weekly weight loss classes.  Having yo-yo dieted, I thought I knew a lot about losing weight, but I found that I did not really know much.  

I'm from Western Md and had my surgery in Winchester,Va because it was the closest center to me and came highly recommended. I'm just a month ahead of you but I can sure relate I am sure. I may not be able to help much but just having people to talk to that understands what your going through can help. Feel free to message me and if I can help you through anything in anyway I will. Welcome to TT. You will love the support here.

Hi everyone! I'm from Western Md too!! SNOW TONIGHT. RNY 6/6/13. Winchester. Dr Glembot & bariatric staff are awesome! Hospital staff were excellent, kind, knowledgeable, etc. Best decision of my life!!

TanyaJ and Winter - Congratulations on your milestones! 50 and 100 lbs (respectively are awesome achievements!  Just seeing the amount of weight so many members on this site have lost helps me to stay motivated.  If not for this site, I don't know if I would have been able to stick to the pre-op diet thus far!

thank you Angel. I was in the same boat as you. You can do the pre-op no problem. Just keep telling yourself it is to ensure that you can have this done without being opened up. That kept me focused for sure. We are all aware of the potential complications but knowing the pre op diet can prevent me from having an open surgery kept me in  line. you can do it, you are almost there!! 10 days to countdown woo hoo!! We'll be rooting for you Angel :)

.Wynter, same hospital, same dr, and I had mine on 8/29/13. I go back next Tuesday for my 3 month check up. I hate the almost 2 hour drive each way especially after working all day..other than that I loved the Dr and the clinic. I wasn't fond of one of the professionals there but I didn't let that dissuade me. Nobody's perfect and we all have our own ideas of how things should be handled. I hope the snow stays up in Garrrett county and Frostburg. I am just below that and I don't want it yet..lol..! It was snowing when I went to work this morning but no accumulation.

TanyaJ - wishing you well at the f/u appointment. Rick sees the post -op pt's. I thought they did pics & measuring at 3 months but it is with the 6 month appointment . I have my 6month follow up appoint Dec 6th. I need clothes but I don't know what size. I'm so excited. 3 of my children have not seen me since my surgery. Two will be home in Dec, 1 son lives up at the burg so he sees me. My dgt lives near key west & has not seen me since last February. I was on 3 BP meds; now I take 1/2 pill have you been able to get off some of your meds? I could probably quess the professional - initials?? What part of western md do you live in? I 'm out the Valley - runs parallel with Bedford rd & Wills mt about 1/2 mile before PA state line ( Stateline Inn - now a sm discount grocery store.)

Angel, your big date is just around the corner!!! Do you have any questions?

Wynter

Hi! I had my surgery 8/23/13 with Dr. Shope. I don't live or work in Maryland but wouldn't mind helping you with all the information. You can reach me here or at Lidia_6321@yahoo.com.

I don't have a date set yet but I am having the vertical sleeve, hopefully at Walter Reed. I live in Southern Maryland and would love to be a part of the Maryland Losers Club! Congrats on your surgeries and successes!

Hi, I live in southern maryland and also had my surgery at WHC by Dr. Shope.  I had gastric bypass and lost 160 through the help of this surgery.  I had a different surgery than you but any questions or support I can be, I am here.

Sandy

That's awesome Sandy Thanks. I'm sure I will be full of questions when I finally have the surgery. Or just need someone to commiserate with. Congrats on your loss. That's amazing. 

You are in good hands with Dr. Shope.  Any questions or just want someone who has been there to talk to, don't hesitate.  This website has been a godsend for me since I found it.  There is a good support system down in this area, starting with the support group held at St. Mary's Hospital, they meet every 2nd weekend of the month.

Sandy

Are you here in Southern Maryland Free2beme?

I do live in Southern Maryland.  I live in Wildewoode.

Oh wow.. I also live in Wildewood small world! lol

i am from Fairfax Va and i go to a bariatric support group (held monthly) a great place for pre op, post op and those in many stages of the journey.

ive met friends from online  TT and eventually in the flesh in these meetings.

totally free and open to all surgeries (VSG, GB, Band etcc) great place to hear other stories and meet other people. 

http://www.inova.org/healthcare-services/bariatric-surgery/patient-support/groups-and-education

Hi!  I am in NOVA and plan on getting the VGS in August.  I am in the process of getting cleared and then will have to wait till August for the surgery since I have several commitments that I cannot get out of.  I really want to be able to focus on my recovery time and doing everything right so I will have less distractions in August!  I am looking forward to it, but also very nervous! 

Welcome