How long after WLS do you recommend before a tummy tuck or an abdominoplasty? I am currently not looking into either one, but I am having open sores under my belly skin and I am assuming I will have to have something done at some point in time. I was just wondering what the time frame was to wait? Thank you 

Hello Nicholepht,

Thanks for your question.

For the best results from weight loss reconstruction, it is best to wait until you reach your weight loss goal and your weight is stable for several months.

This is usually between 12 and 18 months from the date of your bypass procedure.

Any fluctuation in weight after your reconstructive surgery can significantly compromise your result and we therefore request your weight stay stable after surgery.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD.

Now that I am almost a year out, and I continue to have sores and I have stayed at the same weight for going on 2 months, does that mean I have stabilized and should look into plastics now? I have a lot of excess skin on my stomach area and it is really bothersome. I no-longer have a surgeon as I have moved since my VSG surgery, so I am not sure on what to do. 

Yes it seems that your weight has stabilized and it would be reasonable to meet with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

I recommend you seek out a board certifed plastic surgeon who is experienced in weight loss reconstruction surgery.

Your primary care physician can probably suggest some names, or you can try searching online for a good surgeon in your area.

I recommend closely reviewing their websites to determine their experience level and to assess their before and after pictures.

I would also recommend seeking multiple opinions before you decide on your plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Sincerely, Abhay Gupta, MD.