I haven't even had the gbs yet but am already thinking about the skin removal afterwards.  I know it's a big risk, but does anyone have any horror stories about surgery in India or Greece?  The cost difference is astounding and therefore I have to consider this option.  Looking to have the gbs surgery in December and need to wait a year for things to settle, so I've got a lot of lead time. 

No information on that, just wanted to wish you luck!

The surgery might be cheaper, but you have to figure in the cost of a flight and lodgging.  Flights are very expensive and logging overseas is really costly.  I lived over in Italy for a few years and hotels cost an average of 350.00 per night and that is on the cheaper side.

on theworldaccordingtoeggface's blog she talks about having her skin removal done in Mexico right over the border from San Diego. Check that out if you haven't already.

Wow, thank you for the positive replies !!!  I am so nervous and when I get an actual date I will be on more, but boy have I read so many great posts I feel as much an expert as one can be without having gone through this yet.  Thank you for your support.

Hi! I am brand new here.  This is actually my first post. I had GB in June of 2005 at Barix Clinics in Langhorne, PA.  Started at 373 (6 feet tall) and am now in the 190's.  My GB surgeon set my goal weight at 150, but he can literally bite me! LOL!

I have kept it off for 8 years and 3 years ago (Nov 11th, 2010) I had a TT, and BL and BA.  BEST DECISION EVER! The recovery was difficult - not the breasts, but the tummy tuck, but I don't regret it for one second. I went to the Dominican Republic and Dr. Alejandro Hernandez performed my surgery.  He is a master.  I stayed for 13 days (originally scheduled for 10, but he wouldn't release me from his care until I stopped draining).  After a night in the hospital I went to a recovery housefor the remainder of my stay with the best care I have ever received.  Back then it was $7400 for the surgery and 75.00 per day for the recovery house - meals included.

In about a week (Nov. 7th, 2013) I will be traveling back to him to have a thigh and arm lift.  The cost for the surgery is 6800, and the recovery house is 85.00 per day. I have never been more terrified in my entire life. Not because I do not trust Dr. Hernandez - far from it.  I keep thinking about how difficult the recovery will be with my arms and legs unable to function normally.  How is this recovery going to go?  Dr. H made it clear that this surgery will be much harder to recover from than the TT, BA.  When I went to him 3 years ago (personally knowing people who had surgery with him, btw) I wasn't sure what to expect - pain wise.  Now that I know, the stars are out of my eyes and the memory of taking 10 or more minutes to walk a few feet to the bathroom (the first few days) comes to mind. As a close co-worker told me today, "Sharon, the pain was temporary.  And now look at you! It was worth it".  And she is right. 

I have heard great things and experienced great things about overseas surgery, but research is your friend :)  I did three years of research before I felt like I found my doctor.  I factored in distance of travel - since I live in Philadelphia, I didn't want to travel too far, because TRUST ME (and I cannot stress this enough!) the flight home was absolutely torture. I did travel alone, which was a personal decision, but I do not think traveling with someone would have helped any.  The airlines shuttled me around in a wheelchair and lifted my one and only carryon for me, but just the emotional toll, not to mention the physical toll of flying put me over the edge.  I cried, and felt like the journey home would never end, but of course it did, and when I saw my boyfriend (who I am happy to say is now my fiance) the tears kept on flowing and didn't stop for a few weeks.  The surgery is stressful and traveling is stressful - you put the two together and its like a time bomb of tears waiting to happen.

I remember being in your place 8 years ago and I wish you all the blessings in the world.  It is a wonderful journey - and truly one I am grateful to have traveled.  You will have a metamorphasis over the next few years and it will make you a very different, but better person.  My fiance, who has been naturally thin his entire life, thinks he is the luckiest man in the world, because as he puts it  - "you didn't rely on your looks to get by.  You developed an amazing personality and sense of humor that keeps me interested after 10 years. Now, your outside matches your inside".  Yeah he is a walking cliche, but he appreciates my big badunkadunk and my tiny waist as well as my brain and sarcasm.  It doesn't get much better.  And yeah - if you do the math, he was with me when I was heavy. What a guy :)

Best wishes on an amazing outcome!

You look amazing and what a great story !!  I wish you the best with these next procedures and thanks so much for sharing.

I just moved back to the US after living in Panama for the past 2 years. While there, I met with a plastic surgeon to have a tummy tuck and breast lift with implants. I was quoted $10,000 for all the procedures. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford it at the time and I am now back in the States and can kick myself for not doing the surguries while I was in Panama, because the cost is twice as much here. Now, I had the advantage of living in my own house there, so I didn't need to pay for a recovery facility......which would have even madi it more affordable.

I have considered returning to Panama to have the procedures done.

BTW - No matter where you decide to have your plastics done, research, research, research! Word of mouth is still a powerful thing....so ask around. The first surgeon I went to "seemed" ok, but couldn't find any info on him. It wasn't until I went to the second Dr. did I realize that the first was NOT a good choice at all. Just be careful.

I had my Mini Gastric Bypass done in Costa Rica.  I stayed at an amazing hotel that was only recovery patients.  It was absolutely fantastic!  I will be going back in January to have some cosmetic work done aka boobs, and some laser on my face.  Then, in another year or so I'll be having my tummy tuck done there as well.  Rosenstock will be preforming my TT & breast lift & implants.  Las Cumbres was the hotel, for my mother and I to stay in their nicest suite and have 4 meals a day including all taxi rides to and from the doc appts was around $2000 and my surgery was $10,000 I am more than happy and I can't wait to go back!

Any updates on this? I am currently looking at two options for plastic surgery in Mexico due to the lower pricing there -- on in Tijuana: Dr Quiroz. One in Monterrey: Dr. Sauceda. I need the following procedures - Breast lift, breast implants, Tummy Tuck, Arm Lift.

The one in TJ will only perform 2 procedures at a time so for the first two (breast lift and tummy tuck), its 7 days recovery and about $9000. Then I'd go back in 6 months for the other two procedures at about $6000.

The one in Monterrey will do all procedures at once with a 12 day recovery for $12000

Has anyone used these doctors. I do have referrals from both but I'm looking for more reference and other options. I'm also looking for doctors in Puerto Vallarta,

THANKS

Christy

My doctor in Dallas is amazing and I paid $14,600 for tummy tuck, lipo, breast lift, and silicone implants, and 1 night hospital stay and all follow up and anesthetic and everything in that price. I looked into Mexico (more out of curiosity because I didn't have the nerve to actually consider it) and it wasn't that much cheaper. I know a few grand is a few grand but for peace of mind and this one time investment in my future I wanted to be in the US and close to home. Lots of people have Mexico surgery safely but my 2 friends who had gastric sleeve in Mexico had issues. There are places in the US where plastic surgery is cheaper maybe than where you live. But I'm sure that there are great docs in other countries too! My concern was more post op and wanting to be home and have follow up. I mean, my surgeon has me following up weekly for at least 8 weeks, which you don't get if you travel for surgery. Good luck!

Thanks for the post - that is a great price for the US! In California, I am only getting pricing that is 4 times the price in Mexico.

Well, I think I am proceeding with the arm lift/breast lift in Tijuana in late August. I will post pictures and results and pricing for those intested in a new post.

I had a tummy tuck and panni removal in May and had serious complications. I shudder to think what would happened if I had gone out of the country to do it.

What happened to me was not normal but not that bizarre either.

I guess I'm a chicken when it comes to these things, but since I have had weekly surgeons appointments for the last 6 weeks for follow up, I'm glad I was a chicken!

Ymmv

Yikes, I wasn't even thinking about Tijuana.  I bought a book about medical tourism that recommends a hospital in Central America - can't remember the name now.

Trish

I did go to Tijuana in late August and had a fabulous experience. I had arm and breast lift. I went alone and had no problems with safety, medical procedures or post surgery. I had great pricing, incredible care and a wonderful experience. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I paid about $6000 for both procedures including one week of post op care and my airfare.

For my whole story and all my photos, go to realself.com and search for 45 year old, breast and arm lift, Tijuana. My doctor was Dr Quiroz and I went to CosMed Clinic. Please message me with questions as well.

Be very careful about surgery outside the USA.  I had an RNY in Mexico and damn near died.  The surgeon punctured my bowel during surgery and it went unnoticed for 18 hours.  They took me back into the OR and flushed out my abdomen, but I developed a post-op strep infection of the abdomen and bled pus and ooze for 4 weeks.  No local US doctor would treat me, since the surgery was done out of the country and they did not want to assume the liability of a very sick infected patient.  I finally collapsed and was taken to an emergency room, where my infection was treated properly and cleared up in about a week. The expense of that ER visit wiped out any savings from the foreign surgery.

THINK ABOUT AFTERCARE! Make sure your PCP will see you after you return from surgery!

I had a similar thing happen to me after surgery in the us at a center of excellence-Complications happen everywhere. I personally did all my plastics in the us. Silicon breast implants, extended tummy tuck, back lift, extended arm lift, extended thigh lift for under $30k for all fees/meds