Unjury chicken soup protein powder - help!

What IS this stuff for??  I thought it was meant to drink, but ick!  It won't mix at all, and when you add it to hot water it takes on the consistency of crumbled egg yolks.  Is this stuff strictly for cooking with?

You do drink it and it's really good.  Your water was probably too hot.  Mix it into a slurry with just a little cold water first, then pour the hot water on top of that.  What happened is that the whey curdled.  Now that's nasty!  Other than the slurry, you have to use a food thermometer and have the water no hotter than 140 degrees F.

Edited by Happy-Camper

Use one cup of water (8 oz). Check temperature after heating.  I put the powder in the cup, mix in a tablespoon or two of the warm water to make the slurry and then slowly add the remaining warm water while stirring.  As said above and on the package label, the water has to be less than 140 degrees. All protein powders curdle at high temperatures.

Sorry, but I did not care for it AT ALL.  Different strokes for different folks.  :)

I'm right there with you.  I forced myself to drink about half of it before I gave up.  I just couldn't handle it.

It taste a lot like Lipton noodle soup.   If you make the slurry, you can add water hotter than 140. I do that with coffee and vanilla all the time.  Make the slurry and just put the coffee cup under the Kuerig like usual.

When you buy the Unjury sample pack it includes a thermometer so you can check the temp before adding protein. They warn that the texture will be affected by mixing with water over 140 degrees.

Thanks so much for all the replies - I will try it again this weekend.  I guess I was just freaked out that it was so thick - I have been on broth for two weeks and it was a little overwhelming!

It's totally broth like.  Maybe you didn't have enough water?  8 oz is minimum for one scoop, but you can always do a little more to thin it some if need be. I use a coffee mug, which is probably 10 oz, maybe 12.

I mixed it with chicken broth last night and it was much better...easy way to get protein in.  I just have to be careful heating it up.

Terrific ideas! Adding chicken broth works! I love Injury chicken soup! And thanks to H-C I just ordered Chocolate Splendor! Got it yesterday!

Terrific ideas! Adding chicken broth works! I love Injury chicken soup! And thanks to H-C I just ordered Chocolate Splendor! Got it yesterday!

Mmm, my favorite!  I need to order some more.  I've been out for a month now.  eek!   Do you have any Torani syrups?  It's also good with a splash of ... just about anything that mixes well with chocolate! 

Love the new pic, too! Where do you order Torani syrup?

thanks, guys!

You can get a select few at WalMart in their coffee section. But you can go online to Torani.com.  I think World Market has it, too.

I love Unjury Chix too.  It mixes well in many savory dishes.  When I use it, I never have to use salt.

I will try the newest flavor Unjury "Protein'd Cheese Sauce" by the weekend.

Mix it with a bit of water first and don't exceed 140 degF.  You might try adding a 1/4 cup of Dreamfield's Low Carb Penne Pasta, and some chopped cooked chicken.

I got some small Torani syrups at World Market-I like that you don't have to buy a gallon of the stuff!

Mix it with a bit of water first and don't exceed 140 degF.  

This is a serious warning. It's explosive if the water is hotter. I finally measured my spring water cooler/heater and the hot water is 172 degrees F, way hotter than typical domestic hot water. 

Anyway, with the Unjury chicken in the shaker cup, it took one shake and the thing exploded all over the kitchen, me, cabinets, ceiling, floor, one of the dogs -- a royal mess and if you don't get it cleaned up right away, it has the consistency of concrete. Ugh. Be careful out there!

The weird thing about whey protein isolate is that it mixes opposite of most solids.  Solubility tends to increase with temperature with most solids.  That is what we think.  But whey protein isolate seems to mix best (not dissolve) at room temperature.  That is why I make a paste first.  Also, I use a tea kettle to heat the water.  When it barely begins to steam, that is usually pretty close to 140 degF.

When you add heated water to the paste, it mixes readily.  

H-C and I like to add the Unjury Chix to fresh vegetable gazpacho.  That really makes a great combo.  That is a TT original BTW.

Never shake hot liquids.  Danger Will Robinson!  You will always build pressure up in the shaker.

When I put the Unjury in my coffee, I make the slurry first with cool water, then just stick it under my keureg like normal.  It's hotter than 140, too and no curdling.

That new avatar photo is some kind of cute H-C

That new avatar photo is some kind of cute H-C

She's a sweetheart for sure.