Feeling Sick after I eat ANYTHING......

I welcome all responses Dees. I do, do this, ie, dip spoon and lick the back. I feel like I'm chewing, etc. really well, but I guess not. I'll try the count to 100 thing and see if this helps. I certainly hope so. Thanks so much.

Time between bites is really important. Even now I take at least 20 (preferably 30) min to eat. It takes time for my stomach to tell me it's full and it will "settle in" after a while.

I always measure 3-4 oz (at this point--you might be better off with 1-2 oz at your stage) but learning to tell when your tummy is ready to stop takes time. I made a lot of mistakes before I got it right and I still occasionally hit that "one bite too many" and I'm uncomfortable for a few minutes.

Sometimes my tummy will take 2 oz, sometimes it will take 4 oz. it depends on what I'm eating and honestly some days I can just eat more or less than other days. So there is some learning curve in figuring out how your belly reacts to foods and where to cut yourself off, and it can vary from one meal to the next.

Relax, take your time while eating, and pay attention to what your body is telling you. It might be 2 bites and you've had enough.

We all have a tendency to want to finish what's in front of us when we are getting full. It's friggin' hard to stop doing that. But you'll learn. Just give it some time. :)

Yeah I just echo all that Dees said pretty much.  It is a learning curve at this point - trying to get the feel of your new stomach and the sensations that go along with it.  The feeling up in the throat has always meant I ate too much at once or too fast, for me at least.  I realize it is absurd right now to lick a spoon and feel like you've eaten a gallon of icecream but it is just how it goes when you are reintroducing non-liquids to the sleeve.  It will get better, promise!  Slow and steady and easy does it.

Edited by Jolls

• 6 years later...
On 10/31/2013 at 7:16 PM, Dees said:

On 10/31/2013 at 7:16 PM, Dees said:

It gets better.

First thing to do is relax.  You can't heal if you've got yourself this upset.

Second, hydrate.  If you aren't drinking plenty of water, you're going to feel bad pretty consistently.

Third - where are you at in terms of your diet?  Are you still doing protein shakes?  Every body is different.  If you can't manage food, then you go back to protein shakes.  You need nutrition, and the liquid won't hurt you either.

Now.

I am 8 months out.  I can eat about 4-5 ounces at a time now (at 5 ounces I am incredibly overfull, so I stick with 4 or less.. sometimes I even eat just 3 and I'm fine).  That's a small but decent portion.

I do get hungry if I don't eat.  Some people don't--I do.  I need to eat every 3-4 hours, at minimum.  I schedule snacks and I eat all day.

When I drink, I can take about six good swallows before I'm full up. 

But I want to say for the first... 3 months or so maybe... I couldn't get more than 2 ounces down.  Like you, I was scared of malnutrition.  I was scared I would get too small too fast.   I was scared I'd never be able to eat with my family again.

All those worries have gone out the window.  It does get better, and the stomach will hold a little more eventually, but it takes time.  In the meantime (and I know this is hard to understand), but enjoy the tiny tummy.  You have to work all day long to get in your liquids and protein (and you might not be hitting that protein goal yet), so it takes a lot of attention and dedication, but it can be done.  Nobody said this was going to be easy... until you have surgery though, you just can't quite imagine how hard it's really going to be.

I hope that you feel better.  No more hospital trips, no more saline bags!  Get that water in.  If you have to set a timer on your watch or phone, then do it... get that water in! Water, water, water!

Wow is 2020 this from 2013 but your words could not have been more perfect for me . I to am going through so much and si scared not to be able to eat with my family again but your words are so reassuring that everything is going to be better . Thank you so much God Bless you!!

• 10 months later...

:wacko: I have issues with tightness in my stomach with each swollow. It feels like it's coming back up but someone is holding my stomach and squeezing it very firmly back up my throat making it feel tight and a little painful. Sometimes I can hold it down but there are times when I burp with foam behind it. Or I have to spit up foam. Last night I vomited foam all night.

Val,

If you're having a problem with everything you eat, I'd suggest you get an appointment with your surgeon.  

On 8/10/2021 at 7:26 PM, Vall said:

:wacko: I have issues with tightness in my stomach with each swollow. It feels like it's coming back up but someone is holding my stomach and squeezing it very firmly back up my throat making it feel tight and a little painful. Sometimes I can hold it down but there are times when I burp with foam behind it. Or I have to spit up foam. Last night I vomited foam all night.

What are you eating at this point?  Did or do you have issues with drinking ?   Hopefully you will make an appointment or call your surgeons office.