paxriversandy

Revision to abdominalplasty

Hello doctor,

I had a total body lift in march of this year.  Everything turned out great but I did have one complaint.  My abdominal area had alot of excess skin still left.  I had my 6 month follow up and the doctor is doing a revision (insurance approved) to remove the excess skin that is still there.  Is it too soon to have this procedure done?  I have healed very well but am worried that it may be too soon after such an intense surgery in march.  I am in good health and my only complaint is the excess skin.  I just want to know that this procedure is not being done too soon.

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

Thanks for your question.

There is no real definite time that one needs to wait after surgery to perform another procedure on the same area, but most surgeons prefer to wait at least 3-4 months.

I am sure your surgeon feels that doing a revision at this time is appropriate, otherwise he/she would not have scheduled it.

But if you have concerns, I really recommend you discuss them with your surgeon BEFORE your surgery.

It's always ideal when the patient and the surgeon are "on the same page" preoperatively.

Good luck with the surgery!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD.

thank you Doctor Gupta for you answer in my previous post.  I had my revision to my abdominoplasty and breast.  I am now recovering from my surgery and have yet another question.  How long must I wait before I can start running again?  I have become an avid runner having run my first half marathon back in September before my revision.  I did go for a slow walk today (first time since surgery) and was jealous of all the runner running past me and got me to thinking "When can I start running again"?

Sandy

Hello Sandy,

Hope everything went well with the revision surgery.

I recommend you direct all questions regarding postoperative physical activity restrictions to your plastic surgeon.

He/she is the best judge of what you are allowed to do without damaging the results of your surgery.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD

This is for the Doctor, i have heard that you need to wait about 2 years before you know how your skin is going to end up? I am willing to exercise if needed so i do not have really baggy skin,  I am 52 and have lost about 50 lbs in the last 6 months, i have lost the majority of the 50 since sept 13 surgery. I have been overweight for about 15 years. I am really hoping that i will not have to have surgery at all, i am already over the whole way i look oppose to the health benefits of the weight loss. I  am 5.5 feet and weigh 197 and want to lose to 140. Hopefully over the next 6 months to a year i will see the goal i have set for myself. Please advise me on what is the best anyone can hope for when it comes to loose skin without surgery.

thanks for your time.

Akmom52

Thanks for your question akmom52,

Everyone's skin is different and takes a different amount of time to contract fully.

But I think 18 months is a reasonable time to wait to determine your skin's final shape after you have finished losing weight.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta, MD