Sarah.Wallace85

anyone with lap band having switched to sleeve or gastric bypass?

I'm just starting out in the process for my 2nd wls. I have the band and have had it now for 4 years. I did lose weight but have since gained it back. My doc and I decided to see if my new insurance would cover wls. It does. Now I'm removing the band. I don't know what surgery to get sleeve or bypass. I already feel like a failure because ive failed with the band. I want to make the right decision this time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

A lady where I work has a lap band and she has continued to eat right over top of it. I cannot detect any food discipline on her part whatsoever.

She said she was getting it removed and having a VSG done. I have my doubts about her success if she does that. Although the seriousness of the VSG restriction may actually sink in on her.

There is another lady at work who also has a lap band, and has eaten right over top of it, and remains obese. She eats all the stuff I eat pre-op, actually more because I have changed my eating habits and lost 44 pounds pre-op.

So I have a low opinion of the effectiveness of the lap band, though I know many have been successful with it.

This summer I changed from the band (installed in 2008) to bypass.  One surgery to take out the band and complete a bypass.  Best thing I ever did!  I am happy to answer any questions.

I chose to go Band to Bypass becuase I'm a sugar addict and I need a real fix for that. Also, I have killer reflux with the band and my surgeon does not recommend the sleeve to anyone with refulx.

My dad passed away from complication of diabetes and morbid obesity so diabetes scares the living daylights out of me and with bypass, my chances of developing diabetes are a lot lower.

Those were my reason for my choice.

Hi Sarah, l am on the same journey as you and would love to have someone to chat to along the way if you would also like support?

I am seeing a surgeon in Nov to discuss my options. I lost weight with a band back in 2002 but have put it all back plus more. I found the band restricted the healthy foods eg meats, but allowed me to easily consume soft items such as chocolates / ice cream etc. with this in mind I am leaning towards the bypass over sleeve. This is the last time I want to go through this type of surgery & feel that due to my grazing style of eating l could easily over eat with the wrong types of food with a sleeve. I wish I had will power but know I don't. Sounds like the bypass makes you pay attention if you eat sugars or fats! I look forward to hearing how & what you decide is best for you.

I had the EVIL band inserted 12/2009 and it was revised to the sleeve May/2013 and i have never been more pleased, my weight loss is and has been very slow, but it's a loss for sure.   The band caused more problems that it was worth.

I had lap band surgery on 3/5/07, just had it removed 2 weeks ago and had the bypass done.. I'm still too early out to tell, but I'm down 17 pounds, and feel much better without the band.. I lost a total of 100 pounds with the band, then gained 40 back and started having reflux problems.. I chose bypass mostly because I do tend to get reflux, I have a major sweet tooth, and I am pretty frightened of diabetes myself.. Surgeon said bypass was the best choice for me.. Good luck..

I had my lap band out in May and converted to bypass. I have lost 83+ lbs since the day of surgery. I chose bypass because my surgeon put it bluntly by saying "why go from one restrictive procedure to another? It didn't work". I was also a major sugar addict and wanted the chance of dumping (which I got). Like others have said, I am happy to answer questions. 

I had the band back in Aug of 2008, I lost only 50 lbs but that was due to me starving myself and exercising daily.... I had laryngeal cancer and awful acid reflux...the docs cant say for sure that the two are directly correlated... I went to the doc to discuss having the band out and he suggested RNY. I originally did not go with RNY because it's so invasive. Well, needless to say the health insurance approved me and here I am post op a month out. Im struggling with things so far, I cant stand one more ounce of protein shake, Im not getting in the fluids I should and pureed food is making me all but crazy... the doc says it will be better about 2 months out... I sure hope so... 

Hi Sarah,

We seem to have quite a bit in common. I too had the band 4 years ago (Oct 1, 2009) and am in the process of researching a 2nd WLS.

I started at 290 lbs and made it down to 203 with the band within the first year, but since then I have been around 230. Now that I have started to research my 2nd WLS, I have "let myself go" a bit and am starting to climb back up. It's starting to freak me out. My work shirts are all getting tighter and I hate that feeling. So, I know for sure that I need to make a change. The question is... what's the right thing to do? I have been lucky and have actually not had many band problems. The problem that I do have is that dense lean proteins are hard to get past the band, but pasta, anything mixed with mayonaise, desserts, etc. slip right by! I'm hoping that with the sleeve, I will be able to eat the protein and veggies and feel full, but not start sliming and having that horrible "tennis ball in my chest" feeling. And, even if I do have some of that dessert... becuase my stomach will actually be smaller, having just a few bites will be enough. Now, with the band, I still need to fill my entire stomach in order to feel satisfied.

I am leaning towards the sleeve as I have read a lot of a good things about it and it has the lowest side-effects (no dumping, etc) and the leat amount of cutting. I would love to hear what you have found and what decision you have made once you make it.

I am still a few weeks away from making my final decision, but if I do decide to go with a revision to sleeve, I have a tentative date scheduled for Jan 20th wth Dr. Ortiz (self-pay, so going to Mexico).

Please keep in touch!

I revised band to bypass two years ago- very happy with my choice- band was in for six years- effective for about 18 mths and then ended up about 20 kgs heavier- 

I was told after having the band for six years scarring precluded having a sleeve... glad I went with bypass- not everyone dumps- I certainly don't- unless I REALLY deserve to- but I don't have a sweet tooth- I hope whichever you move on to works for you..... 

Hello,  I was banded 4.5 years ago and lost around 45 lbs in the first 6 months.  I am attending support meetings at this time to revise to RYN.  I've flip flopped back and forth between sleeve and RNY till I'm miserable. I've had my psych eval last week so I don't believe that I'm crazy, but I feel so lost and torn between. I am a low weight, so i'm thinking sleeve. But, due to my diabetes I'm thinking RNY. My husband is saying please not that, you'll get too skinny. Well, I'm afraid more of the possible complications living with diabetes. I know that having RNY is not a 100% cure, but my Dr. did say it's an 85% cure,  and I can live with those odds.

I went band to bypass because of the heartburn and diabetes. I wasn't diabetic....yet just we'll on my way. I had terrible reflex with my band so my surgeon recommended bypass.

Have been approved for revision (lap band to RNY). Just awaiting a surgery date. I lost 120 lbs on a lap band...surgery in 2009. Last year, I started throwing up continuously & went into ER. My band was opened & was told it had been on too tight for several years which caused damage to my esophagus. DR would not fill my band again.  In the last year I have gained back 80 lbs. Really stressing about the upcoming surgery. I will be glad to post my journey and answer any questions.  Just trying to stay calm.  I just woke up in a panic and found this site. 

I had band to bypass. I chose GB over sleeve because my dr said the sleeve is just another restrictive procedure and GB is the gold standard for weight loss. Best decision I have ever made so far. I went round and round for months with the decision.

The rerouting of intestines freaked me out. It took me months to accept what I had done afterwards, but I have to say I feel better than I have in 10 years. 75 pounds down, taking my vitamins daily and following the plan.

I now feel great! No more food getting stuck and vomiting. I do not dump with sugar, but too much does make me a little sick to my stomach temporarily.

I had band to bypass. I chose GB over sleeve because my dr said the sleeve is just another restrictive procedure and GB is the gold standard for weight loss. Best decision I have ever made so far. I went round and round for months with the decision.

The rerouting of intestines freaked me out. It took me months to accept what I had done afterwards, but I have to say I feel better than I have in 10 years. 75 pounds down, taking my vitamins daily and following the plan.

I now feel great! No more food getting stuck and vomiting. I do not dump with sugar, but too much does make me a little sick to my stomach temporarily.

My doc called bypass the "gold standard" too! 

Hi...I had lap band May 2008 and like others lost an initial 50 lbs over the first 6 months, then I ran into trouble.  I began to throw up every day and could never hold any food down and had to turn to slider foods and gained almost all 50 lbs back.  So there I was back to almost 304 lbs and living constantly uncomfortable and throwing up daily sometimes multiple times.  I lived like this for 3 years till we moved to Florida (we were Air Force) and I found a fabulous doctor who told me from the very beginning he would have never done the band on me...and that I didn't fail the band failed me.  Long story short  I revised to bypass (may 23, 2011) and during the surgery it was found that my liver had grown to the band and that was probably causing a lot of my problems.  Since day one of my bypass I have not had any problems AT ALL!!!!!  I have lost 105 lbs and will be having a panniculetomy, tummy tuck and mons done on Jan 30, 2014.  I hope some of this helps.  Ask me any questions and I will answer.  Good Luck.

I was having a band at first but after speaking with with my Doctor he said the bypass was far more effective as I did have a sweet tooth, and was a chocoholic! No longer crave chocolate.... So for me was the best surgery for me. Good luck with your decision.

I just had my lap band removed and had a conversion to gastric bypass - best decision I ever made - the lap band did nothing for me at all! Amanda