juventas

has anyone else been advised to do an iron infusion for iron deficiency anemia post RnY?

my hgb/hct and ferritin levels have been terribly low and getting lower i am 7 mos post and otheriwse doing very well, w wt loss, energy levels, activity and resolution of pre op co morbidities (hypertension, diabetes, hi cholesterol, asthma). and though ive been taking 2 tabs of Vitron C daily (65mg elemental Fe) my levels are still very low and i bruise very very easily.

my NUT says nutritional anemia is very common in post op RnYers and lifelong oral iron supplements is the key. The hematologist i saw today told me i would NEVER  be able to absorb iron fully in the gut anymore bec of the surgery so oral iron is useless. he wants me to start w an iron dextran transfusion to get my ferritin levels up to normal and then figure out from there what is best to do.

i know we all have to take extra supplements for life, but iron transfusions? has anyone else had this advised? gone through with it? esp to the long timers out there, how do you manage your iron supplementation?

I have had an iron transfusion every other month since I had my surgery a year ago.  It's not that bad.  They give you Benadryl, steroids and then the iron transfusion.  You're a little wasted the rest of the day.  At least I am which is why I schedule mine for the latest appointment in the day I can get but the next day I am generally fine.  I have to have mine done in an oncology center which is mildly depressing but, again, it's really not bad and I feel great for the two months after.

I am curious do you still have them; does the hematologist think you will ever be able to maintain with supplements?  Is this a bariatric doc preference or are there clinical lines where its standard to move to IV?

I am curious do you still have them; does the hematologist think you will ever be able to maintain with supplements?  Is this a bariatric doc preference or are there clinical lines where its standard to move to IV?

i am now 1 yr and 4 mos post op, i had the iron dextran transfusion 8 mos post and have not had to repeat it since. my Fe levels are checked every 3 mos and all my numbers are thankfully in the black. i am maintained on 2 vitron C tabs daily (along w a handful of other supplements) and have been able to keep my levels up. i just needed the transfusion to get me back in the normal range since i had dipped so far below normal values with my intitial rapid wt loss.

the decision to dot he trasnfusion was the hematologists call, though he was the one who initially told me id never be able to mnaintain my Fe in normal levels. so far so good.

i still do protein shakes daily my wt has stabilized for the past few months and am working hard at the gym to help tone my new found muscles. 

Hey! We have the same surgeon.  First person I have seen here from Dr. Anez ;)  Thanks for the response.

Melting Mama/ Beth Shelton on Facebook has to have them. She post about it often.