happierme

So disappointed in myself

I am having the lap band surgery in 2 days and did so well on the liquid diet up until this past weekend.  It was my birthday and I cheated bad.  Now I'm worried my surgery won't go like it should.  I wonder should I tell the DR. and have him reschedule the surgery or should I just keep up on the liquid diet for the next two days and hope everything is ok.  Any advice?  Thanks so much!

Tell the doctor and let him decide. It probably won't delay the surgery, but better that than he open you up and your liver gets nicked or something.

It's likely you'll have to get an enema before surgery if they don't reschedule. Or they'll want to confirm your intestines are empty by sending you for imaging. The last thing they want is anything in there that could spread and cause infection and other complications. Maybe they'll push it back just a few days, if so, stick to the liquid diet rules religiously.

First and foremost, you should talk to your doctor and find out if two days will really be enough. It might be. But you must let your doctor know. You can't pretend that you didn't eat anything with only two days to go before surgery. For your own safety, you need your doctor to be fully informed so they can do their job well.

I'm at the beginning of my liquid diet. My surgery is on the 7th. I'm trying not to think about food. There's no way I can delay my surgery, so I might be very miserable the rest of the week, but if I faltered, it would be months before I could reschedule. I'm trying to embrace the misery. A sense of humor really helps.

It's likely you'll have to get an enema before surgery if they don't reschedule. Or they'll want to confirm your intestines are empty by sending you for imaging. The last thing they want is anything in there that could spread and cause infection and other complications. Maybe they'll push it back just a few days, if so, stick to the liquid diet rules religiously.

WHOA!  

Our OP is having a gastric band - they're not going to be operating on her intestines.

General anesthesia (which paralyzes the body) requires intubation and having food in the stomach could lead to inhaling vomit into the lungs.  But 8-12 hours of zero food or drink is all that's required to prevent that.  

Some surgeons require a bowel cleanse but not an enema.  Some surgeon's don't even require a bowel cleanse - just nothing after midnight the night before surgery.  What they need to be positive of is that there is no food in her stomach.

I think (I'm not a doc) that you should be fine.  I didn't have to do a liquid diet before I had GBS, just no eating or drinking after midnight the night before.  If it makes you feel better go ahead and tell you doc.  Your not the 1st person nor will you be the last to cheat, just take this as a learning curve and move on and do your best to stay on track from here on out.  We are all human!!!! ;)

just stay on the diet until surgery, you will be fine.

Thanks everyone!  Doctor reprimanded me but said we can go on with surgery which is first thing tomorrow morning!!!  I have to be there at 5:30 am.  Wish me luck!!  I was good yesterday and today and ONLY had liquids, not even jello or popcicles!  I want the surgery to go well.  <3

Good luck tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow.  Can't wait for my turn.  16 more days!!!!!!

WHOA!  

Our OP is having a gastric band - they're not going to be operating on her intestines.

General anesthesia (which paralyzes the body) requires intubation and having food in the stomach could lead to inhaling vomit into the lungs.  But 8-12 hours of zero food or drink is all that's required to prevent that.  

Some surgeons require a bowel cleanse but not an enema.  Some surgeon's don't even require a bowel cleanse - just nothing after midnight the night before surgery.  What they need to be positive of is that there is no food in her stomach.

Oops ... Well, that's good. 

(Of course, my brain is completely wrapped up in the bypass I'm getting next week. I'm on clear liquids only all week long.)  :wacko:

Thanks! 

Thanks everyone!  Doctor reprimanded me but said we can go on with surgery which is first thing tomorrow morning!!!  I have to be there at 5:30 am.  Wish me luck!!  I was good yesterday and today and ONLY had liquids, not even jello or popcicles!  I want the surgery to go well.  <3

I hope the surgery went well and you're feeling better very soon!! I'm sure you're doing just fine. And the journey is only beginning. 

Best wishes! 

Looking forward to reading a post from you called, "So proud of myself!"   ^_^

Edited by invisiblegirl

Surgery went well!  Only issue I am having is a horrible headache but hoping that goes away soon.  Thanks again for all your comments and best wishes!