My first informational seminar was Aug. 17.  I finally heard from the Dr.s office today that my insurance approved VSG.  The problem....the insurance wants me to come up with $10,000 before they will cover anything else.   UGH.  I absoluetly do not have that much.  I know there are some loan programs out there, but the issue with that is I am a non-traditional college student.  My husband is the only one working and he makes enough for us to live paycheck to paycheck.   I am in a professional college at 19 credit hours per semester, absolutely no time to moon light at a job.  

Sorry J,

That sounds difficult.  I used fundmydr.com and was approved with a 655 credit score.  APR is a little high, but they had loans up to 6 years.  Sam from fund my doc is the best, he has busted his @$$ for me every step of the way to get everything done.  My checks were actually mailed out today.

His phone # is 626 429 4200

Best of luck

Edited by aspaner

PPS.....You could in theory take out cost of living loans on your student loans and use that towards your surgery.....WInk WInk I didn't say that WInk WInk

Thanks Aspaner.  I am calling now!

What do you mean that want you to "come up with the money",  as in your "out of pocket max"????    If it's that, it means that the hospital will require you co-pay up front, not the insurance company.   I had a $4000 max and when I checked into the hospital, I gave them a check for $1000 and then they billed me for the rest. It took about 8 weeks to get the first bill.

In my case ( I have a PPO)   everyone else accepted what United paid and I am now making monthly payments to the hospital.

KarensTurn

This is the info I received from the office.

I have a $300 deductible and $10000 maximum out of pocket expense.   Essentially, I would be obligated to  $10000 to pay before they would start paying.

I read that as 10000 I have to pay in order to get the procedure.

Thanks for thinking this through with me.

WOW  Literally just now I recieved an email back from Dr office....It goes like this...

I just met with our Billing manager for clarification...The 10000 is the most out of pocket you would have to pay for anything the entire year, not just bariatric surgery.   

You will be obligated for the 20% coinsurance once the $300 deductible is satisfied.

That sounds alot better....

Now onto phase next....

The hospital will contact you with an estimate of the amount for THEIR part of the bill first. Which will no doubt be for the deductible plus 20% of the the rest. When I had my surgery I paid my part up front because they gave me a discount if I paid up front. The doctor's office should bill you after the procedure for your part of their bill.

When you pre-register at the hospital, just take a check or have your debit card or credit card ready and say,  I will pay $ ????   now.   they will take it and then deal with the rest later.

I made the mistake of paying the surgeon up front and she was essentially over paid, now I have still not gotten my money back, so try to wait on all the insurance billing to go through first.

Thanks for all the info.

I need help! So I have UHC lifetime max $15k, $1500 deductible, $5000.00 out of pocket max and 50% coverage once deductible is met...#%$! Hospital wants $12k for hospital inpatient stay for gastric sleeve. Asking for $4500 down and $8k financed.. is this real life? SURGEON FEES $1700.00 

42 minutes ago, BrooklynsMommy said:

I need help! So I have UHC lifetime max $15k, $1500 deductible, $5000.00 out of pocket max and 50% coverage once deductible is met...#%$! Hospital wants $12k for hospital inpatient stay for gastric sleeve. Asking for $4500 down and $8k financed.. is this real life? SURGEON FEES $1700.00 

This is not bad actually.  My surgeon fee alone was 5K.  Total cost was 19K, for the sleeve.  Please view my financing options at the top of the thread. 

Thanks, 

Andrew 

This may sound weird...Idk but do you have anything else wrong with you? My insurance absolutely does not cover anything weight loss related BUT I had a bad gallbladder so the doctor can really get much of that bill paid by the way they code it. My hospital fee was $4000 up front & gallbladder was $2700. I talked to the hospital director and told her lady I NEED this surgery and all I have is $2000 & my $750 deductible for the covered surgery. She said ok and since I had been to the hospital a few times already for my gallbladder my deductible was meet. So I wrote a $2000 check & went on to surgery oh & I had to the doctor $500. You have to have faith & be bold when you call the director. 

So did you ask what the total surgery cost is going to be?  Say they bill $30,000 (which is kind of on the high side).  That means you would have to pay $300 deductible plus $6,000 copay which would likely be broken up into separate bills from the hospital, anesthesiologist, nutritionist, radiologist, lab, psych, surgeon, etc.. If the total bill was closer to 20,000 you would only be responsible for $4,300.  But I'd add on at least another grand to cover all those little things that insurance doesn't cover and wouldn't go towards your deductible or OOP.  They always like to do *&^% like that.