Congocheryl

Anyone else have trouble seeing changes

So this morning my husband looks at me and says you can see that your face is getting thinner already I have looked at and stared at the pictures I see no difference...

As well as my husband is 2 1/2 years post op he tells me he still looks fat... He has lost over a hundred pounds and does not see the difference

Anyone else have these issues

I am 4 months post op and have lost almost 100lbs (since pre-op) and when I look in the mirror I cannot see much of a difference. Then, last night I went out with friends I haven't seen in a year, every single one of them walked right past me. Later that night we took pictures and when my friend posted them on fb I had to keep going back and looking at myself, I had no idea what I looked like, and to be honest, I looked pretty good! I still have a ways to go but at 5'10 I can carry more weight and look thinner. I am so glad I saw those pictures, it gave me the motivation to finally complete the 5k run this morning, it was awesome!

It takes a while for our minds to catch up with our bodies as far as self-image goes.   I'm a little over 15 months out and still don't "feel" thin, although the scale says I am.  Can't get my head wrapped around that yet, hopefully in time.....

I was looking in the mirror for months without recognising any change.

Truthfully, side-by-side photos are the way to go - something I regret not doing.  

"How to Take Before And After Photos for Weight Loss":  http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/how-to-take-before-and-after-photos-for-weight-loss-618.html

I take side-by-side photos every month and I don't see any difference in those for myself.  When I see pictures of myself next to other people, that is when I REALLY notice.

I notice when I buy clothes that are much smaller and they fit. But I have a hard time seeing it in the mirror or photos unless I look at my first photo. I know, logically, I have lost a lot of weight (im getting close to that 100 pound mark now). But I truly can't see it without pictures.

I think this will be an ongoing battle. I don't see myself as pretty, much less beautiful, and I am really working on my confidence issues with my body. I know I'm smaller but I still feel like a blob. Sometimes I'm depressed about it...lost nearly 90 lbs now and I'm still HUGE. If someone were to meet me for the first time they would think "Wow, she's a big woman".

Not a shapeless blob anymore, I guess. Just a blob. Guess that's progress, lol. Oh well. I'll get there. It'll just take its sweet time.

That's interesting. when my friend had WLS, I had a hard time remembering what she looked liked before. I would see old photos of her and think "No way! She was never that big and puffy!"

I'm 6 weeks out and just this week started noticing that certain shirts that were previously snug are loose now. I still don't really "see" it.

yes,  I have trouble seeing it.  As a matter of fact, only 1 person has committed on it since surgery.  It' s either my face will always be FULL, or I keep buying the same clothes in smaller sizes, so there is really nothing to compare to.     I have to shut my eyes when I try on clothes,  I reach for size 16 and they fit, then 14 and they fit,  do I dare grab a 12?    So, even if my eyes deny me,  the zippers are zipping!!!  

Yes me too...Although I know I have and get compliments all the time on how skinny I'm looking I just am not seeing it like others do!!! :(

You and those who see you daily are going to have a harder time noticing the big differences. Pictures are the key, as well as taking measurements.

I take front, back, profile, and close up face pictures once per month. When I put them all in side x side comparison, the difference is amazing. Even for me, and I was in that body.

When I see someone who I have not seen in a while they are always shocked. I have gone from a XXXL shirt to an XL and from size 46/48 in pants to size 38/40. Obviously I have lost size!

But, it is still difficult for me to see it myself. I do see the difference but not the shocking difference that others have commented on.

But, my wife went from 298 to 125 on her own and says she still sees the fat girl in the mirror sometimes.

It is all mental, and even more so for females I believe.

I can see it.  and I LIKE it !

Now, anyway.  It took a while.

I accidentally let my husband see my drivers license picture the other day.  He said, "oh my god, I don't remember you being that big!" 

yikes.  and yay!

You are completely normal! It took me a LONG time to really see changes, and believe the changes were for real.  I am now down 101 pounds, so obviously I KNOW I lost a lot of weight.  Actually, more than 100% of my excess weight I believe.  However, it wasn't until about 6 months out that I really saw it.  I went from a women's size 20 to a 4 or 6 and I still hold up my pants in the morning and panic for a second thinking they will never get on.  Our minds are funny things.  I think bypass was easy compared to changing my brain...

I notice when I buy clothes that are much smaller and they fit. But I have a hard time seeing it in the mirror or photos unless I look at my first photo. I know, logically, I have lost a lot of weight (im getting close to that 100 pound mark now). But I truly can't see it without pictures.

I think this will be an ongoing battle. I don't see myself as pretty, much less beautiful, and I am really working on my confidence issues with my body. I know I'm smaller but I still feel like a blob. Sometimes I'm depressed about it...lost nearly 90 lbs now and I'm still HUGE. If someone were to meet me for the first time they would think "Wow, she's a big woman".

Not a shapeless blob anymore, I guess. Just a blob. Guess that's progress, lol. Oh well. I'll get there. It'll just take its sweet time.

dee, you are beautiful in your picture!

I still see the fat one in my reflexion. Caught a glimpse the other day and wondered am I that boney?! I rarely look in the mirror, I hated what I saw before! I will try stuff on at the store that's too big and not even think about getting a smaller size! I am now in a 4 or 6 and bought an xsmall shirt the other day! That is a first EVER! Growing up I was always told I was big boned (is that another phase for fat?!). I lost weight first in my face, then the chest and butt were the next to go;). Good luck cause it will take time to see and believe!

Thank you for all the responses I am just shocked that a week after surgery he can see the difference....happy but shocked lol

I hate that i dont see a smaller person when i look in the mirror. its like i shrunk but every roll and bluge to me is still there. I do catch me rubbing my cheek and jawbone and neck I can feel that my face is smaller . I have went down in clothes sizes but and the scale shows i lost 75lb but I still see it on me. With pictures I can see a difference in my face not much anywhere else.

Pictures, my dear, pictures. They really are worth a thousand words, and show the changes well. Try getting them taken at regular times with the same clothes on for a while. Makes it very visual. ;)

It took me a good few months to really see big differences.  The best thing to do is take LOTS of pictures!

I have a schedule. I am going to do a vlog on YouTube weekly for this journey. That way, I can see not just weight loss, but changes in posture, confidence, and all around health. I get a lot more out of watching the vlogs (especially in newly preop patients) because it's revealing a bigger difference than a fixed photo.

Yh I have the same issues. I have hard thinking of me as "thin", but I am getting there. =)

In the last 3 weeks, many people at work have commented my weight loss, and that I look so different they hardly recognize me.

Earlier today, I found myself looking at few pics from surgery day and yh, I look thinner now and happier. ;)

Sometimes I see and sometimes I don't. I started a thread in the Women's Issues and many of us who posted there still see ourselves as been bigger than we are. When I look in the mirror I can see it more now but it took a while. I did take some pictures in the nude so I can clearly see the difference in those than in some of the ones when I am wearing clothes. Style, cut, color and pattern can really dictate how big or small you'll look in your clothes.

Many buy clothes are are too big with no shape.

After losing 40 lbs I know my clothes are a size smaller pants and on T-shirts could where an XL instead of XXL in the shoulders but not the waist. The shoulders of the xxl hang off a couple inches but at the waist the XL clings to the love handles a bit too much. The only place I really see it is in my ankles. They are not the swollen blobs they were which is very nice. But other than ankles I don't feel like I have lost any weight. Just that my clothes have stretched a bit.