hotairballoon

Depression

I had RNY on August 5th.

I've lost 30 pounds since surgery, I'm walking 4.5 miles a day, my pants are falling off, yesterday was the last day of my liquid diet... and none of it is exciting to me. I wanted this surgery for so long and I've been working really hard, but I feel so down. 

Is anyone else struggling? 

Very common to get the blues....it takes time. I went to monthly therapy to help me through the transition.

Sorry you are feeling down.

A lot of members post about similar experiences.  I wasn't depressed but I was absolutely exhausted and could not have walked 4.5 miles so soon out if my life had depended on it, so you are doing very, very well in both the exercise and the weight loss department.  I hope you feel better soon!  

I don't know that I felt depressed post-op but I definitely went through a period of having zero interest in food.  But I know that isn't unusual.  

For most of us, food was a source of comfort and a few tablespoons of pureed whatever, never appealed to me.

But that did get better when I progressed to regular food although in honesty, without the high carb, sugar, fat rush of pre-WLS days, my relationship with my best friend was never the same.  And it took a while for me to deal with the loss - probably until I could hold up a pre and post-op photo and actually see my progress.

Stick with it. You can do it! There are still times I have to force myself to eat because the idea of food is disgusting. You have to keep your liquid and food intake at regular levels to avoid being admitted back into the hospital. Keep posting in the forums for advice and encouragement. You could also seeking advice from a professional therapist. Just take care of yourself. 

I'm sorry you feel so "blue".  I had surgery on 08/20, and I am experiencing some feelings I don't know what to do with.  My relationship with food has come to an end, and I think I'm pissed.  I wish you the best.