Sherell

August Survivors - How are things going?

I had my RNY on 08/20/13, and all went well.  I was in the hospital 2 days and released.  I have had minimal to zero pain, and I feel good.  I've downloaded an app that keeps me on schedule with 3 meals, 3 protein snacks and 64 oz. water consumption.  I am anxious to find peeps that had surgery in August to compare notes and share ideas.

I am on the full liquid phase of the post-op diet, and it is getting a little boring.  My daughter has made me some delicious purees, which are in the freezer waiting for me.  She makes the most delicious baby food for my grandson, and she has been generous to share.  Per my NUT, I have to wait until next week to try one of the purees.

How is everyone else getting along?

Sherell

HI again, that app sounds very interesting. Could you share the name of it.  :)

Yes please share... I am doing well had my surgery 8/27 and as of weigh in today I am just 2.6 lbs shy of 40 lbs gone since starting my pre op diet woot woot.... So my prize this week is a new piggy to love I can't wait for Sterling to come home on Wednesday lol haven't told anyone but y'all lol well can't wait to hear about the app

:( my weight on my ticker didn't update lol pout pout pout

Ok that's better lol

Edited by Congocheryl

I haven't felt this good in a long time.

I had gastric bypass on August 19th. Three weeks and I'm having such problems getting my water in... I've tried everything, different temps, different flavors, ughhhhhhh... I'm barely getting protein in too. I eat a Greek yogurt for breakfast and lunch and dinner seem to be forcing in a shake... I've had crampy bowel issues, I think it's dairy which never bothered me before surgery. I'm very weak from lack of protein and dehydration. I hope it gets easier!

I have a question.... wasn't sure where to post it so I will try here first. I have seen opposing literature on PEANUT BUTTER... some say stay away from it and others suggest 1 tablespoon as a snack for the protein????

I can tolerate a tablespoon very well and besides making me a bit thirsty it seems to be very satisfying. Any Inputs???

I had a Vertical Sleeve on 8/26 and I'm down 28 lbs.  Things are going great.  Started to introduce solids slowly.  I can only eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food at any given meal.  I have my one-month check up next week.  I hope to be down at least 30 lbs by then.

Well, didn't get an answer on the peanut butter, but I will check elsewhere. This stall is starting to worry me! Only lost like 4 pounds in the past two weeks... grrr

Ha didn't know this section existed - Im an August 8/12/2013 BP - went from Band to Gastric BP same day , good to see others here, Im in a long stall atm, but im hanging in there ......

Edited by Violetmortica

Hi all! So it's 2014 and I'm at a bit of a stall right now for about 3 weeks... Down about 64lbs since surgery, so I'm not complaining though! Feeling good... Still dealing with getting water in...I try and try and just can't get enough in! I try new foods and see what agrees with me, it seems like soe things will agree one day, but not the next! No dumping yet, but I've been scared to even try things with lots of sugar and or carbs... Can eat a little pasta in soups or lasagna... Been able to have regular dairy, but make protein shake still every morning now with coconut/almond mix milk... I am not getting in as much protein as I should, but trying to at least make sure I get that Shake in every morning to get me going!

My go-to lunch is 4 large shrimp cocktail... Good protein and easy to bring to work. I eat cheese for snacks and I've been loving on watermelon... I thnk it's because my body craves the fluid from it!

Anyone else from August have any updates on how they are doing?

I will say I don't regret it at all! It's been tough at times wanting to just eat a big plate of spaghetti or drink a soda or eat a dessert, but I'll take losing the weight over that stuff any day!

Hi everyone, I had a RNY on August 22, 2013.  The day of surgery I weighed 259 and is currently 193.  I have had a rough start, after a month, I developed an Ulcer in my new pouch.  The ulcer was not detected until the pain was so severe that I could not handle it anymore, which was early December.  Everything I ate, I got pain and vomited.  Thankfully I am now on Ulcer medication and has to learn how to eat all over as I have no idea what foods my stomach can handle as I got sick with everything.  Some days I struggle with wanting sweets, but will not try it as that is what got me in trouble before.  I certainly do feel that this is the best thing I have ever done for myself.  I am now enjoying life, getting more active, and smile a lot more.  Anyone have any suggestions for meals or snacks?

Hi had my surgery Aug. 6th.  First few weeks I questioned why I did it.  Now I am so happy I did do it.  I started out at 309 pre-op surgery weight was 284.  I go for my next appt on the 5th of Feb.  I noticed that their scale is a big difference from my scale and the one at my pcm doc office. (there is only a 3-5 lb difference between mine and my pc doc) My scale says 225. I wonder if its because my wls doc is 2 hours away and I sit in the car that long.

I hadn't dumped till recently and it was from drinking powerade zero instead of gatorade g2.  I was surprised.  I will be asking about this at my next appt.  Possible sugar alchocal that doesn't agree with my body is what I am thinking.

I have not tried pasta or rice yet. 

I still crave sweets.  I am experimenting with healthy desserts made with protein powder and splenda. They are not lasting long in the house because the rest of the family eats them right up. which is a good thing.  Having something i know is better for me than the girl scout cookies that are now in season is helping to not give in and buy any gs cookies.

Hi had my surgery Aug. 6th.  First few weeks I questioned why I did it.  Now I am so happy I did do it.  I started out at 309 pre-op surgery weight was 284.  I go for my next appt on the 5th of Feb.  I noticed that their scale is a big difference from my scale and the one at my pcm doc office. (there is only a 3-5 lb difference between mine and my pc doc) My scale says 225. I wonder if its because my wls doc is 2 hours away and I sit in the car that long.

I hadn't dumped till recently and it was from drinking powerade zero instead of gatorade g2.  I was surprised.  I will be asking about this at my next appt.  Possible sugar alchocal that doesn't agree with my body is what I am thinking.

I have not tried pasta or rice yet. 

I still crave sweets.  I am experimenting with healthy desserts made with protein powder and splenda. They are not lasting long in the house because the rest of the family eats them right up. which is a good thing.  Having something i know is better for me than the girl scout cookies that are now in season is helping to not give in and buy any gs cookies.

Wow there still doing bands in USA?, I hope all goes well for you anyway :)

Wow there still doing bands in USA?, I hope all goes well for you anyway :)

ooops I see where I messed up and its fixed. I had a RNY not a lapband.  I had thought about getting a band but the wls doc said that a RNY would be the better choice.

I had my 6 month check up for the surgery last week.  I didn't see the doctor only the physican assistant that I usually see. I was a little annoyed with the appt.  My blood pressure is up and I have been off my bp pills since surgery.  Usually doc appts set it up high. My regular doc its not as bad bp wise.  They usually instead of using the machine use the manual cuff. The machine hates me. lol  Anyways why I was annoyed.  She asked what I was doing as excerise.  I told her I was doing 15 minutes at a time on the bike ( I didn't even get to mention I do this twice a day before she said something to me about not getting enough minutes in) I do my zumba when I could because of work.  I walk.  I plan on getting a treadmil so I can walk inside since its freezing outside. She preceded to tell me I needed to do my zumba and to do 30 minutes and at least 300 minutes a week. That my walking at work doesn't count. I was a little t'eed off.  I use a fitbit and I get more steps in walking on work days than I do during nonwork days. I burn more calories on those days.  What is so wrong with doing my bike twice a day at 15 minutes instead of zumba?  Its 30 minutes and then including all the walking I do to get 10,000 steps in a day. Plus I like it. I like to work different muscle groups. Not be stuck on just one kind of exercise.  I thought we were supposed to walk walk walk after surgery anyways.  lol  Since the appt,I have upped my bike exercise to 40 minutes a day plus the walking.

My labs were fine.  Whats funny is today at my regular doc appt with my primary doc she was concerned with B12.  But wls center wasn't. I am within normal. My regular doc is mailing me my last two lab reports for my records so I will compare them then and ask the wls center.  My pcm was all for getting me the shot....ummm no thank you.  Would rather have the sublingual B12 if I indeed need more.

Didn't have an appt wiith the nut but I think I might schedule one in a month or two.  I am no longer required to see her anymore. But I think I should till I am further out from the surgery.  I can only eat 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on what it is.  Slider foods like yogurt I can eat more of it.

According to my scale I have lost 91 lbs since my highest weight in April last year.  Not bad.  :)

My thyroid levels have to be readjusted. so my dosage upped.  I thought that might happen with the malabsorption. I feel great.  I can see a difference in my face and body now.  I need new clothes especially a new bra. lol

Edited by SnowAngel72