Kipa

Struggling :(

The last two days have been rough. Rough to the point where I'm wondering if this surgery was a huge mistake. :( I'm such a positive person generally but this has just gotten to be too much.

I'm 8 days post-op today. Days 1-4 were extremely hard due to pain. I was on higher doses of pain meds and sleeping all the time. Therefore wasn't getting nearly enough liquid. So I started taking half doses if meds and it did help. Day 6 was a great day and I thought I was finally coming back to life but day 7 was horrid. Went to my first post-op appt. incisions look great, surgeon says I'm on track, but blood pressure was very, very low. I think I'm dehydrated. I am trying SO hard to get that fluid in but now, just as the pain has eased up and I've gotten off pain meds, nausea has set in. Everything makes me queasy. Cold liquids, hot liquids, warm liquids, everything.

Can someone tell me this gets better? :*(

Thanks for "listening".

It does get better.  My honest suggestion is go to your nearest Sprouts or whole foods store and get some Essentia water or some water that has a high PH balance.  I struggled for about 4 weeks to get any sort of liquids in me.  I was always tired, always nauseated and just plain frustrated because I couldn't drink enough.  I was drinking maybe a 16 oz bottle a day and nothing seemed to be helping.  Everything, no matter how cold, hot or otherwise water wise would make me physically ill.  But then by accident I picked up some Icelandic Glacial water when traveling through Texas and it has a ph balance of 8.4.  What a change my world went through.  While I still don't get a full 64 oz a day, I'm closer to 40 to 50 oz per day without a problem.  I don't get to 64 because I do a lot of travel in my car for work and have not yet mastered the ability to remember to drink while in my car.  I'll get there.  But if I'm just in my office or at one of the homes I oversee I drink like a fiend.

Try it.  If it doesn't solve the problem, at least you know you're not like me and need special water.  :)  But even if that's not the problem it does get better.  You can also ask your doctor for a nausea pill, I did and that helped for the first week or two.  I usually tried to pair my protein that early out with some sort of broth to help it sit better and to help get some more liquid too.

Hope that helps, and hang in there.  :)

Thanks Farsy!! I will get some today. I'll try anything!

So is what I'm going through normal? I just so was not expecting this so not only is it hard but it's got me scared and worried to death about my health. :(

Normal normal, especially this early out. I still take anti-nausea tablets twice a day to get liquids and food into me. And I still struggle with my drinking, although I am getting better every week.

I think most of have a day here and there early out when we have thought 'what have I done?'. But you will find in a month or so, when you know more about what agrees with you etc. that you will find your stride and it will seem much easier. You and your body are currently dealing with being post'surgery, hormones all over the place, no comfort eating, less sugar etc. etc. It will get better.

P.s. watch your low bp - if it drops too low you will feel really dizzy and can pass out, leading to further injuries which saps your energy further. Just sayin'.

It will get better, I promise!  The first weeks were difficult for me, not so much with pain from surgery but from fatigue.  I was just exhausted all the time.  I am still struggling with chronic lower back pain. 

The only way I know that I'm doing this right is by tracking everything in MFP.  Anti nausea pills helped; sugar free Popsicles are still a staple for me at 3 months out.  

Yes, there have been a couple of days when I thought for minute I had made a mistake ~ but only for a bit and usually after taking pain meds ~ they do tend to 'depress' one. 

Hang in there!  I hope you feel better soon!  It IS worth it!  At 3 months, the routines feel more natural but that took awhile.  My surgeon promised that by 6 months it will be even better.  I trust him!

I'm just past 6 months and I can tell you it DOES get better!!! The first month or so I would have ups and downs like everyone else. I had a stricture at one point and threw up anything I ate that wasn't liquid.

It wasn't all smooth sailing, but now at 6 months I can eat almost any "normal" healthy food. Last night was my husband's birthday dinner - we went to Lone Star Steakhouse and I had 1 shrimp from the shrimp cocktail, about a 1/4 th of a filet, about a 1/4th of a baked potato and a small helping of salad.

Life does improve -- did I mention I've lost 118#?

Hang in there!!!

Yep, it gets better. Try the suggested high pH water... wish I had known about it myself. I wanted vinegar though... oddly it helped in small amounts. Keep on pushing through. ;)

I truly can't thank you all enough. Just to know its normal takes a huge load off. I called the after hours line and the on call surgeon called in some zofran. Praying that does the trick so I can get hydrated again!!

Again, I am so grateful for all your replies and encouragement! <3

I had my surgery on 8/14 and am having a difficult time with getting the fluids and everything else in too. I know what I should be doing but it isn't easy or ''natural''.... food, drink and meds...I am not there yet and it is making me concerned.

All this to say, you aren't alone. Thanks for the post... I am going to try some of the previously recommended water!

Best wishes to you!

I had my surgery on 8/14 and am having a difficult time with getting the fluids and everything else in too. I know what I should be doing but it isn't easy or ''natural''.... food, drink and meds...I am not there yet and it is making me concerned.

All this to say, you aren't alone. Thanks for the post... I am going to try some of the previously recommended water!

Best wishes to you!

How are you feeling?

Hang in there Hon. I was also in that boat and to be honest it was almost 3 months before I quit questioning if I had made the right choice or not.  It does take some time but don't beat yourselves up.  It will get better-it may take time but it will.

I'm almost 3 weeks out and I just started feeling nausea early in the morning and night when trying to drink my protein shakes. I was able to drink a whole one twice a day up until a couple days ago. I'm going to try Farsy's idea about the water.  Hope you feel better soon Kipa :)

I drank a lot of warm things early on - herb teas and broths. Perhaps they might help? I also took *generic) Prilosec for at least the first year, because the pouch felt pretty icky without it - no longer need it now.

Hang in there, it definitely gets better!!