✯AprilWine✯

9 month follow-up and new goals >.<

Had a great 9 month follow-up with my Dr and Nut today, everyone is thrilled with my progress and thinks I am doing a great job and am ahead of where they thought I would be.... blah blah blah - but all I could hear, and all I have been thinking about since I left is that they want me to set my ultimate goal as 165.

Here's the thing, I have had my heart set on the 175 goal and have been incredibly excited to be within 10 pounds... but that was my goal, not my Drs goal. So now I am looking at 19 pounds more instead of 9. I don't know why it seems so impossible to me, I mean, I have lost over a hundred pounds!  But it seems crazy.

I don't even know how to feel about it at all. Dr said to sleep on it and Nut said I can totally do it in the next 3 months. 

I feel like there is a mountain in front of me. I guess I need to think it all through and go for a good long walk.

I am only about a month postop.... so take this for what its worth, which could be nothing! LOL! But heck, its YOUR BODY.... and I think that means YOU get to set your own goals. If you end up at your original goal and decide to go further... then so be it. But maybe for now, that should be your focus.... Docs are wonderful and (usually) very helpful, but they are not in our bodies and also want good stats! :) :) Don't let that doc, no matter how well meaning, take your power to decide away from you :)

This is (obviously) just my $0.02 -- but I think your goal should be your goal -- not your doctor's or your NUT's.

I am setting my goal based on body fat % -- I want to be at a healthy body fat % for my gender and age. I also want to be able to be active -- my short term goals are go backpacking (check) and go downhill skiing with my 10 y/o son (still TBD). My long term goal is to thru-hike the John Muir Trail which will probably take a couple of years to achieve. 

And, by the way, congratulations on your weight loss to date!

April- you have done a fantastic job- I agree your goal is YOUR goal- you are already a success- !! I'd feel down if I thought I had 19 to go instead of 9- Why don't you wait till you get to your goal and then re-assess... 

CONGRATULATIONS on what you have achieved so far- don't forget they operate on our stomachs not our heads....

Go for your original goal. Then if you still want to go lower, go. You've done an amazing job! I find little steps work better. Makes me feel like I've achieved more. You CAN do it if you want! You've lost over 100 pounds! You can do anything you set your mind to:)

Did they say WHY they want you to be that weight? Did they say anything about BMI, fat% etc?

You are sooo close to your goal it seems odd for them to present you with a number this far along.

Make it be your goal.............no one elses.  Once you get through your 1 year visit, you more than likely won't be seeing your professionals any longer.  You will be the one living your life, and you need to be happy where you are at, how you feel, etc.  My surgeon said he doesn't set goals for anyone because everyone is unique in their own way, metabolisms are different, people have different expectations than others, and the whole purpose of the surgery is to be healthier.  If you decide 175 is your goal and for your height is probably a great goal, then go for it.  You are you, unique, and have your life to live, and need to be happy!!  Do this for YOU!!

Wow, April.  165 is low for people in our height range.  I'm 5'10.5" (I WAS 5'11" at one point in life) and even the top of the "normal" BMI of 172 seems a stretch.   My surgeon told me that he expects I will settle in the 190s somewhere because of my large bone and muscle structure (not everyone has this of course), but I have wondered if I will go lower.  I already have no butt and small thighs so I'm not sure where that's going to come from!  

Congrats on a great appointment.  Your constant hard work and dedication is an inspiration.  

Thank you so much for all of the encouragement and kind words, you guys are truly the best!

I am sticking with my goal of 175.

But, I also put on my big girl panties (although they are pretty saggy) and added the Dr/NUT goal to my list.  Dr said it is a BMI thing. I have 3 months till my 1 year check-up, l am going to stick with my plan and see where it takes me.

If I reach his goal and look like Skeletor, I can scare the crap out of him when I see him in November ;)

165 seems awfully low for someone 5'11'',  but I like the idea of following the plan and letting your weight do what it will.  Maybe your body will figure out its own "ideal".  You've made amazing progress, and I think the number on the scale is less important than how you feel. 

Congratz to getting to where your at so soon, bravo at the end of the day its just numbers sometimes MDs forget about how at patient actually feels,and they concentrate on BMI, but that can be unreliable. Go with your intuition and how you feel health wise :) your inspiring well done :D

we are very much the same.  I started at 318, now 196.  surgery was 12/3 and weight was 285 at surgery. 

Iam 5'9" and have always thought 175 was what I wanted to be (I want muscles and not to be too thin since I am big boned also). 

my surgeon wants 155 -160 for me.  my husband said that would be way too thin for me. 

only thing I want is 160 now because I have heard after time, I will gain about 10 pds then stabilize at that weight.  so if I can get to 160 then I stabilize at 170 I would be happy. 

I feel like the drs look at a chart to determine our goal weight and not individualize it.  Are you big boned?  I know you are tall so 165 would be difficult to hit.  I am sure you can do it though just as you have lost over 100 pds!  :)  Do what you think would make you happy though.

I'd say make it your own goal.  You'll know where you feel the best.  I'm also 5'10" and still a long way from goal.  Haven't set anything yet.  It's been years since I was below 200; and at my age, not sure that the Skeletor is what I'm going for either!  lol

You're so close to the finish line ~ but remember it's still a journey even after we get there.  It's always going to be a daily thing, making good choices to keep the weight in line.  Love that you're walking and thinking things through ~ that's always a good plan!

Funny how this came up now. My surgeon set a goal of 200 pounds for me, which I secretly poo pood. I know I should be a little lower than that - I am 5'4" tall, not 6'! So, I just plan on relaxing and following the plan, and letting my body decide where it wants to rest at. Keep in mind many here overshoot their goal at first, actually getting a little too thin. Don't think of it as a mountain, just keep on going and don't worry about it all. You will do just fine. :)