novohorizonte

Bleeding ulcer 8 months post op

I was hospitalized for a bleeding ulcer- it happened on Tuesday. I felt a bit off, had to have someone drive me home, and by midnight the ambulance was bringing me to the ER. My hemoglobin dropped from 10.8 when I got to the ER to 8. I was just above the need for a blood transfusion. They did an upper GI scope- found the ulcer- a stomal ulcer. It had stopped bleeding by the time they scoped me. I was in the hospital for 16 hours by the time they did the scope- so the IV protonix must have worked wonders! I was discharged the next day, since I was making "remarkable" progress. I guess this usually means a 7 day hospital stay. I am EXTREMELY fatigued, and have NO desire to do much of anything. They asked if I took any ibuprofen, and I haven't since months BEFORE surgery. All I take is Tylenol. I am now on Carafate 3x day and Protonix 2x day. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if so, how long until you had energy again?!

Thank you~~~

Sorry I can't help- but hope you are feeling better soon....

Sounds awful. Hope you are up and back to your old self soon!

I'm so sorry to hear about this; but glad you got to the hospital and are doing better.  Hang in there! 

OMgosh i sorry to hear this it terrible you feel now a dampener , but dont be discouraged they have given you the right meds and youl heal very quickly, but now youl have to look after your little pouch better, like no spicy food, no coffee/caffein, take loads of probiotics eat protein veg,salad no processed food as the contain food additvies/preservatives thats ulcers love. So rest up and I wish you a speedy recovery prayers are with you xox

The only thing I have in common with you is the Carafate. Scary what happened to you but I am glad to read, you recovered well and did not need long term hospital stay.

I was hospitalized for a bleeding ulcer- it happened on Tuesday. I felt a bit off, had to have someone drive me home, and by midnight the ambulance was bringing me to the ER. My hemoglobin dropped from 10.8 when I got to the ER to 8. I was just above the need for a blood transfusion. They did an upper GI scope- found the ulcer- a stomal ulcer. It had stopped bleeding by the time they scoped me. I was in the hospital for 16 hours by the time they did the scope- so the IV protonix must have worked wonders! I was discharged the next day, since I was making "remarkable" progress. I guess this usually means a 7 day hospital stay. I am EXTREMELY fatigued, and have NO desire to do much of anything. They asked if I took any ibuprofen, and I haven't since months BEFORE surgery. All I take is Tylenol. I am now on Carafate 3x day and Protonix 2x day. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if so, how long until you had energy again?!

Thank you~~~

I am 19 months post op and was just diagnosed with 2 large deep marginal ulcers that may need surgery to repair... I was in the hospital for 3 days getting IV Protonix and other meds. I am also on Prevacid 2x's a day and liquid carafate 4x's a day. I don't drink, smoke, no caffeine, no NSAIDS...

My Dr said for some people your body just betrays you... If you were stable and able to eat they would rather send you home... It could take months for them to heal completely but if you continue to feel bad you need to talk to a Dr. I kept feeling crappy and after landing in the hospital again the realized my ulcers are not healing on their own... Your already started to bleed once so it could happen again. You need to have an appointment for a follow up scope to check for healing.

Listen to your body and force someone to listen to you. You don't want to end up in an emergency situation.