fflintstone

Frederick Flintstones journey forward

I'm not sure I agree. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. 

Fred,

Your posts are important don't belittle your self worth.

Fred,

I am looking forward to the video. I also agree with everyone, you do have alot to offer. You have to find what works for you. I have respected and appreciated reading your posts early on in my journey. Do not think for a minute that you do not add value to this site, because you do. Hopefully you will find your stride and find what will work and inspire you and you will back to riding the mountain bike, going for long walks with the family and melting off the rest of your weight. I am wishing you health and continued success in the new year!

JR

todays video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcze7EGorOk

Thank you all for the kind words, I guess I misspoke as to the not having much to offer people here. And I was not trying to be self-deprecating at all. If anything I have an overinflated sense of self-worth but in my OPINION, and as I say to many, “it is not arrogance if you can back it up”. I am sure I am on several peoples ignore list and it does not bother me in the least.

Once again thank all of you for your kind words.

While I have no really answers about why I have food addictions, or how to fix the problem I will share what works for me and or even theories I might have as to how I can implement useful change.

While away I have been voraciously reading about the food industry, processed foods, whole foods and anything along that vein and have really reevaluated what I was eating, what I need to be eating, where I was eating and why I was eating. I have some good working theories as to what to do and how to implement them but I a finding that doing things in increments is far more effective.

Most people will not be willing to do what is truly necessary for proper nutrition. That is why I say that I don’t have much to offer people here.

We ALL came here because of an unhealthy relationship with food and also unhealthy food in and of itself. I had always claimed that I got fat eating too much of really good food. And compared to 99% of Americans that was 100% true.

Bonus tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExOjwxODkVw&list=PLXW4NJlI0xBXr46WlrEK5STWGV_oIsKDw&index=11

Fred - I always enjoy reading your posts and watching the videos you share. and I missed you when you were gone. You have a very eclectic taste in music and a great love of family. Besides, any disagreement that a person has with someone in an online forum is pretty small in the grand scheme of things, eh?

Some people just look for reasons to be offended. Don't sweat the small stuff, bro.

I was hoping to make my big video over the 4 day break I had, didn't happen. back on track to the gentle switch to a whole foods more plant based diet.

all the tempting home made sugar and fat explosions are gone.

I am going to look into an actual membership at planet fitness. they have one in Midland and while not easy to get to it is actually affordable @ $10 per month. if they have more/better weight equipment than the family center I think I may do it. I see pictures of rows of treadmills though and I just cannot stand the idea of walking on a treadmill.

last night it became very apparent that I need to find an affordable yoga class. I was so disappointed with the crappy one from the community center. I also need to build another sauna.  the only time I did yoga at home was in the sauna. boy do I miss that.

todays videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDl8ZPm3GrU

in this age of instant gratification, I wonder why it took 3 years for this band to get popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ip1irYWXck

Fred,

Sounds like a great way to start the new year. Good luck yo you. Maybe try the elliptical instead of the treadmill.

I actually own a disassembled high end elliptical machine ( have NO place to put it) but the whole concept of "moving" in one place to burn calories is just so boring. I would rather go skiing or snowshoeing than a treadmill or  stationary exercise bike. this gets far less appealing when temps dip to single or negative digits though.

there is no way to easily replicate resistance training to build muscle max in something that is not boring.

As I get older the things that were once easy now seem hard. when I had a sauna it was easier to stay in shape. the sauna warmed you multiple times, when you cut the wood, when you split the wood, and when you fed the fire. in zero temps, it would take 10 trips, one every half hour to keep adding wood to get it up to minimum temp.

todays video:

I played this album so much all the highs were worn out in the grooves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Ok so yesterday I finished listening to a tom Clancy novel at work. So I started listening to “hits from the 60’s” on Jango. I came across a few songs that I thought “hey that’s not from the 60’s” I finally checked one out and it was from 67 then another was from 66... I came to the realization that I was both OLD and that I started liking music when I was VERY young. I started ignoring songs I thought might be from the early 70’s.

So today I just cannot seem to get into Aldous Huxley’s “brave new world” so I am back at Jango on the same station and Don McLean “American pie” came on and I said to myself “OK… I KNOW I was 10 when that song came out”. And sure enough 1971.   Pretty much considered an iconic song in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U

Very iconic, I love that song. It is truly timeless. It is one for the generations! Thanks for sharing.

I wonder at what age the tipping point would be where if you word associate "American Pie" you would get this song over the juvenile movie series? my guess would be north of 40. as a 35 year old would immediately think of the movie from when he/she was in his or her early 20's. just a thought. (I doubt if Jason Biggs will ever have a real movie roll beyond the pie scene)

I would only think about Don McLean's song about the day Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash.

So Chipotle grill doesn't want to buy pork raised in CAFO's? Yeah I wonder how they are really going to do that?

The hypocrisy of "free range" chicken is while they "have access" to grass outside, they don't venture out the little door onto the little strip because there is no "food" there and they are grown so quick with breasts so large there little legs can’t even carry them outside.

As much as I love meat if most Americans saw how commodity beef, chicken and pork are raised, they would seriously consider becoming vegetarian.

Just as cows and to a lesser extent pigs are not well suited to eat corn, now "farm raised" fish are fed corn. Can someone show me underwater corn?

not underwater corn, but Korn none the less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGrNDV2mKc&list=PLDgiaVwE3PvE1WlC1X1OMHLtquOsAaJui

Your right, there are some very bad farms that really abuse the beef. I have seen documentaries over the years that would turn a lot of people of from eating commodity beef. Just terrible, besides the abuse it seemed very unsanitary.

Like the typical American my visions of beef pork and chicken was that of what I see from my neighbors. I drive by the cows every day.  I did not know that my neighbors just raise them up to be sold at auction to go to a CAFO and get “pumped up”

Cheap subsidized corn is what got us this way and I don’t see it getting much better.

We are going to raise our own chickens this year and we buy our eggs from neighbors. We would like to find someone to raise a cow for us but I doubt that will happen due to cost.

so I took my son skiing and snowboarding Thursday. have not been skiing in 10+ years

my son sucks at skiing. and I suck at snowboarding.

I got to take one run down a good hill and my 25+ year old "vintage" equipment failed me, my boot cracked in half!!!

I felt bad the next day and worse on Saturday.

now only my achilles tendon hurts, but it is killing me.

Im still thankful that two years ago I really would not have considered trying.

I just have this to add to your snowboarding experience:  

Misfortune that occurs in a noble pursuit is good fortune.  

You will both remember this fondly some day, brother.

so the bottom line on this ski/snowboard trip is that I have severe "acute tendonitis" I am wearing one of them aluminum/Velcro boots so I do not move my ankle. a shot of toridol did wonders. that has worn off and I am back to pain.  

wearing what is effectively an open toed shoe in the middle of a Michigan winter is not fun nor conducive to exercise. 

I hope you get back to full speed soon, bro.

Hope you heal quickly. It sounds like a real frustrating injury. Having a boot like that this time of year really stinks. Well, there is always push ups and sit ups in the mean time. Lol!

I hope you get back to full speed soon, bro.

pain is for the most part greatly diminished but I don't give it a chance to get worse. I am trying to walk as little as possible.

while I should probably seek professional help I think that I also suffer from SAD, but probably a mild case compared to most.

if I had the financial resources I would consider spending the winter months in a warmer state.

while we are not having the sub zero temps like last year it has been "too cold" since the first of the year.

Fred,

Good to hear from you again. Your video was very touching. I hope all is well with you. There is nothing more precious to a parent than their kids. They are the reason we want to be better people.!it sounds like you are a great father.

Did you ever get a chance to finish your office? If so, show us some updates. It's good to have you back. I am looking forward to your random music videos.

JR

I have not worked on the office lately but I did finally after starting my home 16 years ago put up a kitchen cupboard last night.

I could slap in factory or semi custom cabinets in a weekend but I have always wanted to make my own cabinets. Well this is my start.

CUPBOARD2.jpg

So long story short. The wife wants to have chickens this year. She just wants eggs but I want meat. Regardless you need to feed and water the chickens. There are special watering nipples that are for chickens. I won an Ebay auction on a bulk amount. They were a 1/3 the price of an online retailer. I have more than I need and was wondering what local retail was so I can try to make money selling the surplus on CL. I searched TSC and found out they go for 5 times what I paid for them. I minimized the window and got back to work.

When I got back to using the internet I found it very funny that tractor supply added “enjoy” to my search.

chickennipples.jpg

Fred,

It looks like you and the kiddo had a great time! It is great to be shed of all the weight to be able yo do that with him. These memories will last forever. It looked like great exercise too! Thanks for sharing, made me want to go again soon.

I have to say at some points I was really out of breath climbing the hill.

ever since the temps dropped at the first of the year I have had zero motivation to do much of anything.

I'm systematically working my way through longer threads that are still active, and this one's taking me a while. 1) I'm on mobile, and the pointer somehow got set to the end, so I have to manually scroll back one page at a time each time I revisit. 2) I'm enjoying the music as I go.

I'm on the page where fred hits his birthday in 2013 and managed to squeak in just under 290 just in the nick of time. Problem is, this page is gonna take a while because I love Oingo Boingo. No One Lives Forever is one of my workout jams when I'm able to run.

Interesting choice of Kate Bush songs several pages back. Never been a fan of Wuthering Heights. Cloudbusting on the other hand, another of my favorite workout jams. Everything on Hounds of Love gets a big thumbs up from me.

I'll catch you guys when I hit the end.

Ugh, and posting pops me to the end of the thread. Gotta flip back through the time machine again...

P.S. Weird to think that Gibby Haynes (front man of The Butthole Surfers) is the son of Mr. Peppermint (both from my native Dallas). Talk about a different public image.

While I have no really answers about why I have food addictions, or how to fix the problem I will share what works for me and or even theories I might have as to how I can implement useful change.

While away I have been voraciously reading about the food industry, processed foods, whole foods and anything along that vein and have really reevaluated what I was eating, what I need to be eating, where I was eating and why I was eating. I have some good working theories as to what to do and how to implement them but I a finding that doing things in increments is far more effective.

Most people will not be willing to do what is truly necessary for proper nutrition. That is why I say that I don’t have much to offer people here.

We ALL came here because of an unhealthy relationship with food and also unhealthy food in and of itself. I had always claimed that I got fat eating too much of really good food. And compared to 99% of Americans that was 100% true.

I had high hopes that logged onto the site from a computer instead of mobile device I could motor through the rest of this thread, but alas, one page from the end there are too many videos, and I need to head to bed. That said, this post of yours from a few months ago caught my eye.

If you are still in the mode of researching and understanding the food industry and what it's done to us as a society,I highly recommend the HBO documentary series The Weight of the Nation.  It's free on Amazon Prime, but you may be able to find it elsewhere.  I would go as far as to consider watching that series to be life changing.  It was so enlightening regarding the societal dysfunction contributing to the obesity epidemic in our country and what people are trying to do to address those systemic issues.

The part that really resonated with me personally was various clinical research that supports the idea that once you've been overweight, your body will fight you to get back to that place again.  I'd always been very anti-WLS, believing that if only I could change my behavior I could lose weight long-term.  I've lost every single bit of my excess body weight (160 lbs) on three separate occasions.  After regaining every ounce of it for the third time, I realized that I needed (and wanted) to change, but I that I don't have it in me to do the same thing again and expect a different outcome.  

That experience and realization combined with the seeds that documentary series planted led me to the conclusion that if my biology is fighting me, maybe it's time to change my biology.

I strongly recommend watching it if you can get your hands on it.

I had high hopes that logged onto the site from a computer instead of mobile device I could motor through the rest of this thread, but alas, one page from the end there are too many videos, and I need to head to bed. That said, this post of yours from a few months ago caught my eye.

If you are still in the mode of researching and understanding the food industry and what it's done to us as a society,I highly recommend the HBO documentary series The Weight of the Nation.  It's free on Amazon Prime, but you may be able to find it elsewhere.  I would go as far as to consider watching that series to be life changing.  It was so enlightening regarding the societal dysfunction contributing to the obesity epidemic in our country and what people are trying to do to address those systemic issues.

The part that really resonated with me personally was various clinical research that supports the idea that once you've been overweight, your body will fight you to get back to that place again.  I'd always been very anti-WLS, believing that if only I could change my behavior I could lose weight long-term.  I've lost every single bit of my excess body weight (160 lbs) on three separate occasions.  After regaining every ounce of it for the third time, I realized that I needed (and wanted) to change, but I that I don't have it in me to do the same thing again and expect a different outcome.  

That experience and realization combined with the seeds that documentary series planted led me to the conclusion that if my biology is fighting me, maybe it's time to change my biology.

I strongly recommend watching it if you can get your hands on it.

thank you for the suggestion, I was able to request the series thru my library.

I am slowly becoming more mobile now that the great white north turned from artic tundra to a normal spring a few weeks ago.

It is going to take a great deal of discipline to get back on track.

sorry for all the videos, I do not have a mobile device of any kind and in fact I cannot really watch videos on my home computer due to the rural DSL. I have to do all my watching on lunch breaks @ work.

I have been limiting my internet @ work and spending far less time on the computer in general.