telcodaddy

new and nervous

Hey everyone,

I am new to the site and am scheduled for my bypass on 9/2/13 and I have some questions. Well before those, I am 40 yo, 6'2 and 320 lbs. I have always been the big guy. 2 years ago I got down to 265lbs. I love to eat and not just crap but xcellent food. I mean we will travel to food fests or travel to another city just to try a restaurant. ok then here I am now.

For one, what kind of energy did you have the first month post op and what do you have now? I am worried I will be drained with lack of food.

If anyone is a serious foody, how did you deal with it?

How much muscle mass did you lose?

How long before you started working out with weights?

I am just feeling really nervous and almost backed out but I know this is the best thing for me and my family. I appreciate everyone's feedback. .

Thanks again

Lee

I can’t answer your questions, other than I sympathize with your plight. I too love GOOD food, and show my love by eating too much. I didn’t get fat eating junk food.  My surgery is next week. I am hoping I will be able to enjoy small amounts of QUALITY food 6 months post op.

Hey everyone,

I am new to the site and am scheduled for my bypass on 9/2/13 and I have some questions. Well before those, I am 40 yo, 6'2 and 320 lbs. I have always been the big guy. 2 years ago I got down to 265lbs. I love to eat and not just crap but xcellent food. I mean we will travel to food fests or travel to another city just to try a restaurant. ok then here I am now.

For one, what kind of energy did you have the first month post op and what do you have now? I am worried I will be drained with lack of food.

If anyone is a serious foody, how did you deal with it?

How much muscle mass did you lose?

How long before you started working out with weights?

I am just feeling really nervous and almost backed out but I know this is the best thing for me and my family. I appreciate everyone's feedback. .

Thanks again

Lee

Energywise, I was GREAT!  You have lots of fat to survive off of and if you get your fluids and protein in, you should be fine.  You may be a little tired a week or two after surgery, but it's necessary to rest then, anyway.

I'm a huge foody.  I love to cook, I love to eat what I cook, I love to try new foods.  While I was recovering, I watched nothing but food network.  Didn't bother me a bit.  I learned how to take those bad for you recipes and make them into good for you recipes.  I still love to cook and have gotten pretty adept at sneaking healthy food onto my husbands plate and him going on and on about how good it is.  I still love to eat, but I only eat healthy food in healthy quantities now, as opposed to my infernal never-ending hunger from before surgery.

Your surgeon will clear you as to when you can start to work out with weights.  Don't do anything before he clears you or you could get hernias.  It may be 6-8 weeks, just let him tell you.

You'll do fine, I promise.  Food actually becomes a bit of a non-issue after WLS.  You might not believe it now, but it won't consume you in quite the same way.  Differently.

edit:  i know, i know... this was men's issues, but you just can't keep us women out of your business.  :)

Edited by Happy-Camper

I can’t answer your questions, other than I sympathize with your plight. I too love GOOD food, and show my love by eating too much. I didn’t get fat eating junk food.  My surgery is next week. I am hoping I will be able to enjoy small amounts of QUALITY food 6 months post op.

Yeah, that is my problem. We do not eat fast food. We eat more the rich and savory foods. Whether I cook them   (as I am the chef in our house) or we go out for a nice meal.

Good luck on your surgery and mybe we can follow each other for a while as mine is the 3rd not the 2nd, so just 2 weeks after yours.

Energywise, I was GREAT!  You have lots of fat to survive off of and if you get your fluids and protein in, you should be fine.  You may be a little tired a week or two after surgery, but it's necessary to rest then, anyway.

I'm a huge foody.  I love to cook, I love to eat what I cook, I love to try new foods.  While I was recovering, I watched nothing but food network.  Didn't bother me a bit.  I learned how to take those bad for you recipes and make them into good for you recipes.  I still love to cook and have gotten pretty adept at sneaking healthy food onto my husbands plate and him going on and on about how good it is.  I still love to eat, but I only eat healthy food in healthy quantities now, as opposed to my infernal never-ending hunger from before surgery.

Your surgeon will clear you as to when you can start to work out with weights.  Don't do anything before he clears you or you could get hernias.  It may be 6-8 weeks, just let him tell you.

You'll do fine, I promise.  Food actually becomes a bit of a non-issue after WLS.  You might not believe it now, but it won't consume you in quite the same way.  Differently.

edit:  i know, i know... this was men's issues, but you just can't keep us women out of your business.  :)

Thank you for the encouragement and I will try and take it easy until I am told to go to town.

telcodaddy-

I'm lifting light weights again and my revision surgery was July 25th. Im also the cook in the house and love food. you will just learn to cook in a different way.

Look at "The World According to Eggface". Life is not over, Brother. Its beginning anew.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

We just gotta learn to cook different stuff.

Also, have a look at Aviator's Log Book. It begins when I was right where you are now. Make sure you start at the beginning. Size and BMI wise, I was close to where you are now when I started this journey.

I hope to see more of you. There aren't many men on here.

Edited by Aviator

telcodaddy-

I'm lifting light weights again and my revision surgery was July 25th. Im also the cook in the house and love food. you will just learn to cook in a different way.

Look at "The World According to Eggface". Life is not over, Brother. Its beginning anew.

Also, have a look at Aviator's Log Book. It begins when I was right where you are now. Make sure you start at the beginning. Size and BMI wise, I was close to where you are now when I started this journey.

Thanks for the info Aviator. I see that you just right up the road from me. 

Yeah, I am just so tired of dealing with the weight battle, 20 lbs off, 25 back on... it never ends. I needed that drastic kick in the butt. I want to see my boys grow up and get married... get off of these meds.. 

I will take a look at your log book. and I will be keeping in touch

Got your friend request and accepted it of course. I look forward to hearing from you often, Bro.

I had my surgery in April of 2012. I weighed 400 pounds, so I guess you could say I was a "serious foody." I have learned that I ate mostly out of boredom. I could go out to eat and then come home and eat an entire bag of potato chips. It's sort of hard to describe the difference between then and now. I can still eat just about anything I could eat before. I just eat a lot less, get fuller faster, and don't think about food all the time. I still cook for my family and friends and to date, I'm not tempted to snack while I cook. I tell people that eating for me now is a lot like eating a Thanksgiving Feast. Where I used to eat 2-3 big plates of food until I was miserable. I know now that I can eat about a cup of food and anything more than that makes me uncomfortable. You learn to be very selective about what you eat because you have to make smart choices. How have I done? I've lost 180 pounds and gone from a size 56 inch waistline to a size 36. I'm still working on it and want to lose another 20-25 pounds. It's an amazing journey. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. There are a series of YouTube videos done by a guy called thebypassman. He documented his entire journey from surgery to several years out after surgery. I got a lot of valuable information from this guy. You can see the changes each week (or two-three weeks) as he posts with tips and what to expect. It have been pretty much just what he describes. I'd recommend looking up thebypassman on Youtube. Here's a link to his videos. Go to the earliest entry and watch from there forward. It's good information for guys by a guy (someone who has done it already). http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBypassman

Interesting Clayton. I watched a couple of his videos - including the most recent one. I had my VSG 8 months before he did, and my weight loss was slightly more than his. It sounds like he is in the middle of a rebound, having gained some weight back. Rebounds are common at the 4-5 year mark. it sounds like youre are doing wonderfully at the 1-1/2 year mark. 180 lbs is a lot to lose. Congratulations on your success.

I recently had a revision and am back losing again. You can read about it in Aviator's Log Book - a blog which is 4-1/2 years old. I would not want to put my face on YouTube. TT is all my sense of privacy will tolerate.

telcodaddy-

I liked that blog. I am forwarding it to my wife, and although I am a better cook than her, she can be spectacular in her own right.

Although there is a fair amount of estrogen floating around here (all good people) I am all the “MAN” any forum needs…… :) :) :D  :)  :P 

Alrighty now. I had my surgery on Tuesday. Everything went well said the doc. The upper gi looked great. But I have softball size swelling right above the large incision on my left. As anyone else noticed this? It makes it real painful to stand up straight and walk. I know it is nothing severe as I feel great besides that. Is this just part of the procedure and my doc just beat me up a little more than normal?

Great to hear your back! that swelling does not sound normal to me I would call your surgeon.....

Alrighty now. I had my surgery on Tuesday. Everything went well said the doc. The upper gi looked great. But I have softball size swelling right above the large incision on my left. As anyone else noticed this? It makes it real painful to stand up straight and walk. I know it is nothing severe as I feel great besides that. Is this just part of the procedure and my doc just beat me up a little more than normal?

Great to hear your back! that swelling does not sound normal to me I would call your surgeon.....

I agree with Fred. That kind of swelling isn't normal. I just discussed it with Bones and she says it sounds as if you have some bleeding.

Call him. He wants to know.

Congratulations, Brother. You just changed your life.

Edited by Aviator

Your LEFT side will hurt for about 30 days. 

I too am a serious foodie and love to cook! I was worried about the same issues as you, but decided that because I am 41 with a wife and 3 young kids I was tired of fighting it. Six years ago I worked out like crazy and starved myself for 11 months and got down to 260, but my arthritic knees kicked in, I stopped starving myself, and ended up heavier than ever by last winter.

I had gastric bypass on May 6, 4 months ago, and as of yesterday am down 84lbs. I am so happy I did it, my life is better, I have so much more energy, and I feel better about myself. Things are better between my wife and I (if you know what, I mean) and I am able to do so much more with my kids. Regarding being a foodie, I still am! The only thing I have completely given up is rice, which I never really liked, pasta, which I love but don't miss, and most bread, I occasionally have some whole grain. Other than that I seem to be able to eat what I want, albeit in much less quantities, but I still enjoy good food. I haven't had any alcohol since mid May, and am waiting six months before I do. When that time is here I will stick to vodka or whiskey with sugar free mixers, or I may just give it up all together.

My only advice is to GO FOR IT!!! I am so happy I did, and my family and I are better off for it!

I would def check in with your surgeon. I was heavier than you when i got my surgery and i had no swelling or bleeding. Sounds like an infection or something. Id call your surgeon asap.

Another really cool site is bariatricfoodie.com They have really good recipies.

So Lee?

What's the verdict about the swelling? Is it still there?

So Lee?

What's the verdict about the swelling? Is it still there?

Well, I called the surgeon that day and he said that he had to beat me up a little more than usual and that the most of the pain  I was feeling was from the incision pulling on the inside. He asked if I was wearing my compression belt..... oops. I am now and the pain has subsided 10 fold and the swelling is going down too with ice. Over all I am feeling pretty good today.

Edited by telcodaddy

Well, I called the surgeon that day and he said that he had to beat me up a little more than usual and that the most of the pain of I was feeling was from the incision pulling on the inside. He asked if I was wearing my compression belt..... oops. I am now and the pain has subsided 10 fold and the swelling is going down too with ice. Over all I am feeling pretty good today.

great!

So Fred, how'd your surgery go? I know I am looking forward to seeing my surgeon this thursday so I can have some refried beans  or mashed potatos... the both and jello is getting old.. 

I am eating a blue cheese chicken salad right now

Some dark chicken meat off of a rotisserie chicken, a small chunk of real blue cheese, and a dollop of nonfat yogurt, all ran thru a blender tastes great but the texture is discussing.

It’s not sitting well either but I am sick of liquid food and nothing feels good in my stomach. Protein shakes don’t sit well either.

I dont know if I am going to get that ambitious this soon after surgery. I am going to stick to foods that are suppose to creamy. I do not think I can eat pureed chicken...

What type of protein shakes are you eating? Have you tried just yogurt or the refried beans?

no refried beans yet other than stealing a bite from my sons bean burrito.

I have had yogurt and ricotta cheese with no problems.  yogurt is the one thing that always seems to sit fine.

I really want to try to do as much protein from food as possible.