JIB - did the op in 2008 - now in trouble

veeg

HELP! I am in trouble, health wise. I am waiting to go for kidney scans in two weeks time at the state hospital. I have had blood in my urine for months. I have mild pain. I believe it could be JIB that is the problem. I don't watch or have a TV so never saw the carte blanche show. I only recently found out De Beer was banned from performing the op and I cannot afford a reversal. 

I just don't know where to turn. 

Can anybody help me?

What is JIB? Nor do I know about a Carte Blanche show. Could you be more specific?

So reading this article, JIB is a PROCEDURE, not a condition that develops. It was performed during the 60s-70s and was abandoned due to high complication rates. Did you have this procedure back then?

What is JIB? Nor do I know about a Carte Blanche show. Could you be more specific?

Jejunoileal bypass - I was lead to believe it was a gastric bypass. This jejunoileal is banned in south africa as well as most of the rest of the world. it is that dangerous. Carte Blanche is a south african show that uncovers unscrupulous practices from medical to investments etc. 

So reading this article, JIB is a PROCEDURE, not a condition that develops. It was performed during the 60s-70s and was abandoned due to high complication rates. Did you have this procedure back then?

Hi again. No I had this procedure done in 2006. I am shocked. I thought that I was having a gastric by-pass. People I know that had the op by the same doctor, were also lead to believe it was a gastric by-pass. some people who can afford it are suing the Doctor, he is banned from performing the procedure now since 2009, but has not been banned from surgery. The drawing he did for me and for others does not resemble what was told us. I do not have medical aid and don't know what to do. I need to find out if I have alternatives, diet-wise? can I maintain my health and improve it (considering my urine is showing large amounts of blood the past 3 months)? If I eat more fresh fruit and veggies, the types, drink tea instead of coffee, no alcohol etc. will this improve my health. At this point I do not have the luxury of affording a reversal. I would do it without a second thought if I could. 

Sounds to me like a reversal is not a "luxury", but a medical necessity. Have you spoken with a bariatric surgeon in South Africa and told him/her your situation?

Sounds to me like a reversal is not a "luxury", but a medical necessity. Have you spoken with a bariatric surgeon in South Africa and told him/her your situation?

I have not personally, no. But have found out via a friend who also had the same op about 2 years before myself who is also in the same situation as myself. She was also under the impression that it was a gastric bypass. I don't have medical aid and neither do I have the funds for the op (I also work for a animal charity organization so not exactly well paid), but I am exploring options. I will see how healthy I can eat/drink to keep my health at optimum even though I am in trouble with my kidneys and liver already. I do generally eat a low fat diet, no carb and sugar. But have already cut out most of my coffee, and drinking pomegranate/cranberry tea instead. Making sure I drink plenty of water, although I already drink about 2 litres a day. I will see what the scans to my kidney say (scheduled for next week) along with my blood tests and take it from there. I do realize regardless, that I need to have this op reversed. I have too much to live for and have no intention of dying any time soon. I just need to somehow raise funds or find a doc that will do it through the state hospital (???) well, I can only try. 

Any tips from anybody would be great. 

:)

My suggestion is to go see a surgeon, tell him your predicament, find out the true "all in" cost and perhaps the operation can be financed somehow. That way you can put pencil to paper. Do you have family who can help? Your parents? Siblings? Perhaps a church organization?

I have a guiding philosophy on this: If YOU believe something can't be done, guess what? Your right!

But if your bound and determined to make something happen, you will find a way. Necessity truly is the mother of invention. I'm a walkin' talkin' testament to that axiom.

Do NOT let "not having the money at hand" stop you. Right now, pretend in your mind that you have the money. Work on the problem out completely until you reach a point where money is required. Then get creative on financing schemes. If this is supposed to happen, the doors will magically open for you. As you work the problem, ideas will occur to you.

My suggestion is to go see a surgeon, tell him your predicament, find out the true "all in" cost and perhaps the operation can be financed somehow. That way you can put pencil to paper. Do you have family who can help? Your parents? Siblings? Perhaps a church organization?

I have a guiding philosophy on this: If YOU believe something can't be done, guess what? Your right!

But if your bound and determined to make something happen, you will find a way. Necessity truly is the mother of invention. I'm a walkin' talkin' testament to that axiom.

Do NOT let "not having the money at hand" stop you. Right now, pretend in your mind that you have the money. Work on the problem out completely until you reach a point where money is required. Then get creative on financing schemes. If this is supposed to happen, the doors will magically open for you. As you work the problem, ideas will occur to you.

Thank you for your kind words. I will be think and speak positively about this....deep breath and one step at a time.

:)

• 7 years later...

Hi so my mom had this operation in 2009 and she has been suffering  with complications for years.

We did not know that she had been suffering  with the complications until now, she has been admitted to hospital and has been suffering  with chronic diarrhea  for months.

However over the last 10 years or so we never had put the two together that everytime she would bloat , be in pain and have diarrhea it was cause by this operation that gave her a very aggressive bacterial  infection. 

A doctor has advised now that this may be a long road ahead.

If anyone had gone for this operation and you suffer from diarrhea, kidney stones, depression, painful bloating and feeling  sick. Please go have it checked out 

On 4/11/2021 at 3:25 AM, Natasha Frick said:

Hi so my mom had this operation in 2009 and she has been suffering  with complications for years.

We did not know that she had been suffering  with the complications until now, she has been admitted to hospital and has been suffering  with chronic diarrhea  for months.

However over the last 10 years or so we never had put the two together that everytime she would bloat , be in pain and have diarrhea it was cause by this operation that gave her a very aggressive bacterial  infection. 

A doctor has advised now that this may be a long road ahead.

If anyone had gone for this operation and you suffer from diarrhea, kidney stones, depression, painful bloating and feeling  sick. Please go have it checked out 

Thank you for sharing the story.  You are very right that people who have complications after weight loss surgery should have them checked out ASAP.

On the other hand for people who read this and are considering weight loss surgery, please understand that the potential complications for this surgery are much much less than the complications from remaining overweight.  I am many years removed from my gastric bypass and am very healthy.  Without this surgery, the risk that I as an overweight person would have had serious medical problems (or even death) by now is very high: heart attacks and other related problems, stroke, cancer, diabetes, hip and knee pain, and high blood pressure are all caused by being overweight, not to mention a greatly increased risk of death from COVID-19.  I have never regretted having my gastric bypass.