vidisarah

My Body! "Apron" Issues and Spanx/Shapewear

Hi everyone,

I'm two months post op and I have lost 45 lbs now.

My body is really changing...and I am ashamed to say that I had a rather large pannus before surgery and now that I am "melting" from the top down/bottom up, my pannus is beginning to "droop" lower. Going "inwards" but "drooping down" a bit.

I had to order smaller sized clothing and I am very happy about that. I went from a 48DD to a 46D in bra size and 2 sizes smaller in underwear.

Now...my pannus is beginning to hurt when I move around and its beginning to REALLY bug me. I have been looking at Spanx wear online but I am not sure when to start wearing it. I still have to wear bandaids on 2 incision sites because its on the waistline where my underwear and pantlines are. They are almost completely healed over but still have touchy skin so I wear bandaids over them when I am dressed.

I have my 2 month appointment with my surgeon on Friday and I am going to talk to him about my pannus and a panniculectomy when I reach goal. I have 95 more lbs before I reach goal and this is exciting.

When did you ladies start wearing Spanx or shapewear? And what kinds? Full body or thigh/tummy control?

I wear my Spanx everyday. I have two sizes. One for when I need to be really sucked in and one for when I just dont want to jiggle. I wear the kind that are cut like underwear and come up to just under my breast. I started wearing them at about 2 months out. My bigger size is almost too big now and I need to go down in a size. I love them though and swear by them. To me regular shapewear ( liek from JC Penny or similar) are not compareable. They dont breathe the way spanx do. I live in FL so the heat is intense.

I started about 2 months ago - I have 3 kinds of shapewear - the kind that is like a high waisted panty, the kind that has 'legs' and the all in one that doesn't include the bra part.  Panty type is tricky -- if you have a problem with full coverage of the lower parts of your stomach.  TMI I know, but its reality.

I have some I ordered from Woman Within, and a spanx -- the woman within works for me most of the time and is significantly cheaper than spanx.

When you ordered your shapewear/spanx...did you order the size you are now or the next size up? Because I don't want it to be so tight I can't breathe...

I use a chemise with a rubber gripper on the bottom. It sticks to my hips and doesn't roll up. That way I can wear the cotton bikinis I prefer. I'm pretty picky about panties...I like a certain type and that's all I'm comfortable with. I think a lot of that is because my thighs and butt are so large.

I got my shapewear from Catherine's. I have one in black and one in nude. They work pretty good.

ETA: I'm short--the bottom of the chemise comes down almost past my hoohah. That might make a different.

Edited by Dees

i got my 1st Spanx 4mos post op. i got this :http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4058274&cp=2992553.2992043&parentPage=family

its hi waisted and extends all the way to capri length. aside from the apron, my issues are thigh related and i cant wear shorts or even jeans without them looking like jodphurs/riding britches bec of ym saggy thigh skin  :wacko:

but the Spanx is an absolute lifesaver not only can i wear slinky pants and jeans but LEGGINGS again!! i still wont wear shorts shorter thna my knee, but its a small price to pay going from size 24-26 to a 16!!! wheeee!

i will invest in an open  bust mid thigh body suit next. but i would suggest trying it on in the store if at all possible in your area. order by current weight bec the key to spanx is that they fit you so comfortably w enough holding in that you can still wear them daily w no pain or marks.

if you have to order online, make sure to read the return policy very well.

good luck!!

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I read every one of them and it seems that Spanx is a majority favorite!  I went to spanx online and looked but I am not able to wear their size right now (yet!) but I found a high waist brief by Serenada at Catherine's online that I think will work great for my needs right now.

I am an "apple"..therefore my belly is larger than the rest of my body...lol!  My thighs are so little that my hubby teases me about them, so I don't think I need a thigh shapewear..just more around my lower abdomen/pannus.  The Serenada High Waisted brief is specifically designed for those with larger abdomens so maybe the higher waist will help with the tummy and panni...

I hope it works!! I will be looking at Spanx when I get to the next size down! I am getting ready to donate a whole bag of clothing this afternoon that I can't wear anymore..and did a bunch of shopping yesterday for this current size...whoohoo!!! 

Dude, I never leave the house without Spanx.

I know this is the women's issues section, but forgive me for commenting just on the Spanx.

I heard about these here before, and actually went to the Spanx website, and lo-and-behold they have compression underwear for men too.

Thanks for bringing it up, if I had just stayed around my male brothers I would never have learned about this. And lord knows, male or female, after WLS, many of us could use this stuff.

Ok I'm out of here before I get thrown out..................... :ph34r:

LOL--JRH, but is there such a thing as a "female brother?" And as long as you don't try and tell us what kind of shapewear to wear, I doubt you'll get thrown out!

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I read every one of them and it seems that Spanx is a majority favorite!  I went to spanx online and looked but I am not able to wear their size right now (yet!) but I found a high waist brief by Serenada at Catherine's online that I think will work great for my needs right now.

Are you sure you don't fit? They have a plus size section that goes up to 325lbs, and you weigh 216! I am sure they will have some spanx that fit!

LOL--JRH, but is there such a thing as a "female brother?" And as long as you don't try and tell us what kind of shapewear to wear, I doubt you'll get thrown out!

Well, in the Army, I had many sisters, and to this day, when a female Vet comes to me for assistance (my job is to help Vets find work, training, and help them find assistance for medical and other issues) I treat her like my sister. Well, better than my sister, my real sister is a ... cinwa would edit me so I won't write the word.

So yes, there are "female brothers".

Come to think of it, I have some brothers who are sisters and some sisters who are brothers. But lets not go there.... I support any choice a person makes for themselves.

Actually, I now fit in Spanx!! I now weigh 201 and now I can shop "off the rack" in JC Penney and other major Dept stores that carry Spanx. I can't live without spanx now!! Especially now with the more excess skin that is forming with more weight loss.

Thank goodness for Spanx!!!  I will be glad when I get my "apron cut off". Spoke to surgeon about plastic surgery at my 6 month visit two weeks ago and he said that I would be eligible for plastic surgery consults after May 6th, my one year surgiversary..so I'm looking forward to it!

Actually, I now fit in Spanx!! I now weigh 201 and now I can shop "off the rack" in JC Penney and other major Dept stores that carry Spanx. I can't live without spanx now!! Especially now with the more excess skin that is forming with more weight loss.

Thank goodness for Spanx!!!  I will be glad when I get my "apron cut off". Spoke to surgeon about plastic surgery at my 6 month visit two weeks ago and he said that I would be eligible for plastic surgery consults after May 6th, my one year surgiversary..so I'm looking forward to it!

You have done such an amazing job!  

Thanks for bringing it up, if I had just stayed around my male brothers I would never have learned about this. And lord knows, male or female, after WLS, many of us could use this stuff.

Yup, who would have known!  I've worn women's tights for years instead of long Johns, just because they fit better.  :)

I have a silly question: how soon after surgery can you start wearing Spanx?

I have a silly question: how soon after surgery can you start wearing Spanx?

That's not a silly question at all.

As soon as your swelling has gone down and your incisions have healed there's nothing stopping you from wearing Spanx and the like.

I couldn't go back to work for 8 weeks because of an umbilical hernia repair and a lifting requirement at work so I was 8 week out before I started wearing them again.

I know this is the women's issues section, but forgive me for commenting just on the Spanx.

I heard about these here before, and actually went to the Spanx website, and lo-and-behold they have compression underwear for men too.

Ok I'm out of here before I get thrown out..................... :ph34r:

You go, brother! Good choice.

Edit: Forgot the quote.

Edited by TheBlackSea

Thanks Cinwa! Hoping I'll be able to start wearing them again soon. My incisions are almost healed, but I still have a bit of swelling where my drain was.

This post makes me "too much happy".  Lol. Just lol. 

I have a weird question. Do they make a "sleeve" style compression garment? I saw a woman in a post op video online wearing one, and I'd love to know where I might find something like that. It kind of reminded me of the old fashioned "tube top", but to wear only on the midsection, lol.  I'm going to definitely need something for my stomach, but don't want it attached to a bra or panties.

Trish, sounds like you want something corset-like but with more stretch? This is one manufacturer's web site. If this is the style you're after, you could pick up some key words to look further.

http://www.leonisa.com/en/shapewear/waist-cinchers-and-tummy-shapers/

Thanks wendy, I'll check it out right now :)

That is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!! Thank you SOOO much!! You're the best!

For loose skin on your upper body and back, try a Shapeez bra.