kimberkara

August 19th! I FINALLY got a surgery date!

It's been a long year of waiting and jumping through hoops. August 19th I will be getting the vertical sleeve! woo hoo!

Congrats ! I'm on the 27 th ! It's so exciting huh?

Congratulations! I'm surprised there aren't more August buddies on here yet.

I'm finding it hard to believe. I had so many setbacks. The last one was I told the shrink at my psych eval that I have had a couple cigarettes in the past if I was at a party drinking, but it's been a long time. Turns out if you have ONE smoke within the last year they consider you a "smoker" and I had to wait 3 months to quit smoking.

Before that I had to wait a year after my cancer treatment, to prove that it didn't come back. My oncologist sent them a letter stating that it was less likely to come back in the first year than any time after that, but they have their rules in the bariatric clinic!

So, I'm shopping for smaller sizes at yard sales, and getting ready mentally and physically, but still waiting for someone to tell me I can't have the surgery. 

I just got my date on Weds. August 20th Can't Wait

Congratulations! I'm surprised there aren't more August buddies on here yet.

I'm finding it hard to believe. I had so many setbacks. The last one was I told the shrink at my psych eval that I have had a couple cigarettes in the past if I was at a party drinking, but it's been a long time. Turns out if you have ONE smoke within the last year they consider you a "smoker" and I had to wait 3 months to quit smoking.

Before that I had to wait a year after my cancer treatment, to prove that it didn't come back. My oncologist sent them a letter stating that it was less likely to come back in the first year than any time after that, but they have their rules in the bariatric clinic!

So, I'm shopping for smaller sizes at yard sales, and getting ready mentally and physically, but still waiting for someone to tell me I can't have the surgery. 

I feel the same way! I was like this is not going to feel real till the day I go in. I started to get some smaller size clothes as well. My mom had the surgery nov of last year and has a TON of clothes for me. She went nuts buying stuff and spent a small fortune. Her doc finally told her to STOP Lol. She just could not help herself.

I noticed today that the time seems to be going quickly now. I was excited about that. I have to admit the past week or so I have been avoiding the site a bit. I was on here several times a day reading stories and looking at pics. At one point I had a full blown panic attack after reading about some people's excess skin and how bad it was. THEN having friends send me YouTube videos concerned about excess skin. I finally said ENOUGH and got back to my happy place. I'm very thankful for people on here . It's nice to be able to vent about things when you feel you don't have anyone to talk to. One step at a tin right.

Here I am going off on a rant lol.

I hope things are going smoothly for you! I have stocked up on broth, SF jello, SF pudding and some SF Popsicles so far. Biglots here was having a sale on all there SF. Stuff so I made out like bandit. 49 days till surgery date!

I just got my date on Weds. August 20th Can't Wait

Congrats on your date !

THEN having friends send me YouTube videos concerned about excess skin. 

OMG why would friends do that? Are they trying to discourage you? One of the first things I say when telling someone about my surgery is I have done a TON of research. THen, when they feel the need to tell me about a friend who failed, or complications, or whatever I cut them off and say "I know". That usually helps them drop the subject. lol 

I have looked up loose skin videos on youtube to show to my little girls, so they are not shocked when it happens to me. They both agree that they would like to to be able to run around with them even if my skin's a little floppy. 

OMG why would friends do that? Are they trying to discourage you? One of the first things I say when telling someone about my surgery is I have done a TON of research. THen, when they feel the need to tell me about a friend who failed, or complications, or whatever I cut them off and say "I know". That usually helps them drop the subject. lol 

I have looked up loose skin videos on youtube to show to my little girls, so they are not shocked when it happens to me. They both agree that they would like to to be able to run around with them even if my skin's a little floppy. 

I think it was to scare me to realize what was going to happen. But my answer when someones says that is "I have done the research for two years, I know the complications are possible and the loose skin is not pretty. But I would rather that then to be dead in a few years from a heart attack." Usually shuts em up. I would rather be healthy with ten pounds of loose skin then fat and unhealthy.

Hi all.  I am scheduled for surgery on 8/7/13.  I must say I am rather nervous and still fell very confused and overwhelmed.  I feel like the whole process has gone very smooth.  I am a single mother and need to know I can function within 2 weeks.  I guess I need to let this go because I have great family that will support me.  I also have only started to tell people that I will have the surgery.  Did you guys tell everyone or just a select few?  and advice?

I told friends and family. I'm on facebook a lot, but haven't been posting my progress. My hospital is very thorough. Between that and this forum, I feel like I know too much! lol What do you find confusing? Do you have to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery?

No pre op diet here.  I guess I should say more scared.  Scared that this will not help me.  I am a pretty tough woman, but an so nervous at faluire again.  I know I need to stop these negative thoughts

I've felt the same. It's our minds that got us to this place, and if we don't fix that we may not succeed. I've been in counseling for eating and taken a class to learn why I reach for food for comfort. That's what I think is going to help me the most. That and following dr's orders, though my nutrition appt was yesterday, and she freaked me out a bit. There was a lot of "never ever" spoken about a lot of stuff. No alcohol ever ever...?

*bump* Anyone else scheduled for August??

Hi Girls,

I'm new to this forum and I too have my date in August, the 14th. I go on milk shakes on Monday and I'm getting rather excited.

I however developed a bladder infection 10 days ago and I'm now on my second lot of antibiotics. They won't operate if I have an infection and I've waited so long for an operating date. I'm holding thumbs that it will go away in time.

Did they test your urine to make sure they're giving you the correct antibiotics? Some are resistant to certain antibiotics. 

I have another week to go before my 2 week liquid diet. I'm not looking forward to it, but at least there's variety. Are you only drinking protein shakes, or can you have other foods? 

Hi Kimberkara

Unfortunately I'm one of those people that is prone to bladder infections. I always keep spare antibiotics handy as it always seems to happen on a weekend or while I’m away on holiday. They don’t come as often as they used to. I can kick myself as my doctor didn’t send my urine sample away just tested it in his rooms and said there was blood in my urine. Going back to him tomorrow so that he can send a sample away. I'm holding thumbs that it will be gone by the 14th.

Well I have just come back from my “last supper” with my family as I start shakes tomorrow. Getting excited although I know the first three days are the hardest, it just means that I’m that much closer to my op day.

I can have half a cup of salad or veggies at night.

What about you? Anything else to eat?

Your pre-op sounds similar to mine:  2 protein shakes and 1 salad (2 cups greens/veggies with a protein - egg, beans, fish, chicken, etc)

My patient coordinator recommended the following to help me get used to smaller, more frequent meals:

protein shake - breakfast

1/3 salad - 10 a.m.

1/3 salad - 12:30 p.m.

1/3 salad - 3 p.m.

protein shake - dinner

I'm not crazy about shakes so I ordered some Unjury unflavored protein powder and will mix it in bouillion, homemade FF yogurt, or FF/sugar-free cocoa for some variety.  I'm also planning to reserve the meat and a few veggies (onions/peppers) from the salad and experiment with some simple soups.   

August 19th for me too! I've been waiting a year to get it and I. AM. READY!!!!!

Hi  everyone! I am scheduled for VS on August 15.  On day 6 of pre-op, I felt a little down today.  I guess everything is becoming real.  I know that this is the right decision, just wish I didn't have to go this way.  I have battle with weight, even before I was consider overweight.

As a kid I grew physically taller and my body mature earlier then my sisters, cousins, and classmates.  So I was always encouraged to eat less or go on some diet.  Now I realize that I put myself on an rollercoaster for must of my life.  I always was able to eventually lose the weight, yet never could keep it off.  My surgeon said this to heal and get off the ride.  I believe him. I guess I just scare that even with the VS I will fail.  I am glad I found this forum, it is great to say what you feel without  judgment.  Thanks for listening.

August 19th for me too! I've been waiting a year to get it and I. AM. READY!!!!!

Do you have a liquid diet? I need someone to commiserate with. lol Day 2...  :blink:

Hi  everyone! I am scheduled for VS on August 15.  On day 6 of pre-op, I felt a little down today.  I guess everything is becoming real.  I know that this is the right decision, just wish I didn't have to go this way.  I have battle with weight, even before I was consider overweight.

As a kid I grew physically taller and my body mature earlier then my sisters, cousins, and classmates.  So I was always encouraged to eat less or go on some diet.  Now I realize that I put myself on an rollercoaster for must of my life.  I always was able to eventually lose the weight, yet never could keep it off.  My surgeon said this to heal and get off the ride.  I believe him. I guess I just scare that even with the VS I will fail.  I am glad I found this forum, it is great to say what you feel without  judgment.  Thanks for listening.

I have posted on TT about my fear of failure.  It's still there, but I keep in mind that every successful person here started out like me. They all had an unhealthy relationship with food, but they were able to beat it with the help of this surgery.

I will be right there with ya! My Pre op is Friday so I'm sure I will start it then. Ready to do this! The anticipation is killing me. I can't wait to see how much you/I lose from just the liquids. We will for sure have to commiserate! I think we've got a similar goal too. :)

Yes we do Moxiemae! You have a pre-op appt Friday? Has anyone talked to you about a pre-op diet? Some people don't have to do it. I'll pray for you. LOL

I'm allowed one salad a day (which I'm guessing you would "kill" for) but I'm a good listener.  Feel free to vent and I will commiserate.

But on the bright side, think about these positives about an all liquid diet:

• You will probably lose more weight on the pre-op diet than I will.
  • Your liver will probably be smaller and less rigid so the chances of cancelling the surgery will be less.
  • The odds of not having complications are probably better for you.
  • Keep visualizing that you'll have the most petite, flexible liver and pristine stomach of anyone your doctor has ever operated on...all because you stuck to the liquid diet your doctor recommended!  (You better get used to thinking of yourself as petite...before you know it, you'll be petite all over!!!)

I'm allowed one salad a day (which I'm guessing you would "kill" for) but I'm a good listener. 

• Keep visualizing that you'll have the most petite, flexible liver and pristine stomach of anyone your doctor has ever operated on...all because you stuck to the liquid diet your doctor recommended!  (You better get used to thinking of yourself as petite...before you know it, you'll be petite all over!!!)

My diet isn't all that bad. I can have some veggies, yogurt, sugar free jello/pudding...

I think my big issue is being surrounded by fatty delicious food. Today I visited 5 restaurants with my mother, trying to find the best location for a baby shower on Monday. Man, the smells were so good, and they all tried to talk us in to staying for food! 

A petite, pristine liver is a funny visual. I like it! lol