Mamacita

Graduated from C25K....moving on to 5K2HM

5K2HM (5K to Half Marathon).....yeah, I just made that up :cool: . I haven't been on in a long time, but I am now entering my 3rd week of a 12 week program to ready myself for a half-marathon in October.

In the past I have ran three 5K races....then sort of lost my motivation. I moved back to the United States from Panama in March and was so cold I could barely move, let alone go out and run. Then, I began a new job and running got put off once again. Now that I have settled into a schedule, I was mentioning to my Mom about a month ago that I would like to begin running again, but am lacking motivation. Two days after that conversation I received a company wide email looking for people interested in participating in the Nationwide Childrens Hospital marathon/half marathon in Columbus, OH on behalf of my company.....entrance fee paid by them! Initailly, I read the email and thought to myself, "are you crazy?! 13.1 miles!" "Yeah, right!". A few days later, I reopened the email and read it again.....this time I saw it as the motivation I was looking for before. So, I signed up......then thought to myself, "Yup, you're officially crazy" :blink: . But, it's worked. I have been running according to a training guide I found onlline. Running interval distances, 5 days a week with the other 2 days off for recovery. I usually run in the evenings when it's cooler, right before the sun sets. I have a set route that I run. I may have to find a different route once I get into the 7 to 13 mile mark. I just ordered a hydration belt and bought some energy gels so I'll be ready in a couple of weeks when I start getting in to some real distances. I also splurged on a pair of calf compression sleeves to help with lower leg fatigue.

I am amazed to see and feel my body's stamina become stronger as every week passes......which destroys my previous thinking that I would NEVER be able to run further than a 5K! And it's even more mind blowing to me that only 3 years ago, I was barely able to climb a flight of stairs without becoming winded!

It just goes to show how important goals and motivation are to our success with not only losing weight or exercise, but in life in general. To take that motivation and goal setting an extra step, I have also announced to my co-workers, friends and family that I am training to run a half-marathon......this creates accountability. I don't want to quit (trust me, there have been days where I've been tempted) because that will make me look like....well.....a quitter! On October 20th, I want these people, and myself to say, "WOW, she/I did it!"

Look for my finish line photo in a few months! :D

Wow, that is great! Congratulations!

I have never really been a runner but I would like to be :). I see these folks springing around my neighborhood like antelopes, and I wish I could do that too. Right now my goals are to go downhill skiing with my 10 y/o son and backpack the John Muir Trail in the Sierras. But finishing a 5k could make that list too :).

Isn't it amazing? Make sure you try and get some other distance runs in there in between like a 10K or 10 Miler. I myself started out with a 5K and kept building distance. I am doing my first half this fall as well! Good luck and enjoy!

If I can run that distance, so can you! I ran a 13.1-mile course three times last year. I have never entered an official half marathon race. For me, it's always been "Can I go the distance?" I really wanted to try for a full marathon distance this year, but I am having plastic surgery in 28 days. It still may happen, but it depends on how well I heal.

I wish you the best with your training. I think it's great you found a program to follow. I just added a mile or two every week until I worked my way up to 13.1 miles.

You can do anything you set your mind to, so accept the challenge, believe in yourself, and go out and grab it. Keep us posted on your progress!

Well done.... it's great having a goal!!

My hat is off to you.  Your journey is going to be trying at times and easy at others but it can be done, rather easily if you just keep going.  I strongly believe that as bariatric patients regardles of whether we walked, ran/walked or ran the whole way, just crossing the line made us winners.  Who would have ever imagined in our old self that we could walk a mile let alone 5k's, 10k's half marathons.  5 years ago if someone would have said I would have multiple marathons, triathlons and an Ironman at this point in my life I would have said they were smoking an illegal substance.  Today thyat miracle is a reality and I live for it every day.

If you need any nutrition info or other things to get you to that distance I have a wealth of knowledge and experience on the journey you have undertaken. Good luck. 

Sean

I've been busy with work (and training ;) ), but wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words! Yes, some days are better than others.....for sure!

Just an update.....I have fallen off the wagon :(. I was afraid that this was going to happen. Over the past few weeks it's been a combination of tummy/Hashimoto's issues, moving and travelling for work that has resulted in me falling off the wagon and having a hard time getting back on. I'm starting to feel the pressure of the marathon date approaching quickly and I know that in the time that I have not been running, I have taken a couple of steps backwards in my training (stamina building, etc). I know it's just a matter of pushing myself out the door to do it and developing a way to put my runs into a new daily schedule. A big setback has been finding a new place to run. I moved from a residential area with a fairly flat area with lots of sidewalks to an area surrounded by hills, next to a highway and no sidewalks. There is a park nearby with a half-mile track that I can use, but I haven't worked that into my schedule yet. *big sigh*....I know what I need to do, actually doing it has become easier said than done......I'm having a heck of a time getting my motivation back! 

Thanks all for letting me vent......any questions, comments, encuragement....butt kickings...... are welcomed and appreciated :)

Maybe just focus on getting out to the local track. Can you get up earlier? This is a good time of year -- it's a lot harder when it is cold and rainy or snowy.

A step at a time...

Curious to know if energy gels make you dump with the bypass?

I know running on the roads of Panama is not a good prospect however you're just going to have to squeeze in your running into your current schedule.  Either try first thing in the morning, at lunch or in the evening.  I am always a big proponent of early in the morning because it's harder to justify skipping at that hour.  As of lately I have even scheduled a noon mile run, in addition to my regular morning runs, just to help me deal with the heat of the day of my next race which will have me starting my run about 11 am so getting used to a heat of the day half marathon is absolutely critical to me having a great race. 

I always have had a knack for coming up with excuses to skip an exercise.  The worst part of this is convincing my heart to go ahead and do my exercise sessions after my excuse has sabotaged my heart and got it to believe I needed to skip the session.  I can always be my own worst enemy when it comes to trying to skip a workout.  I have found the absolute best defense is to just go anyway because once I get the first couple of strides the desire to skip the workout is gone and it's just a mental game to keep going.

You hit the nail on the Pirata! I am my own worst enemy with excuses. But, I have found out that as soon as I get my running gear on and get moving, I'm fine. The hardest part is always the first step.

Since my last post. I have ran 3 miles on the track in the park near my home. I also ran 1.5 miles on my treadmill at home (would have been more, but the incline is stuck at an......well, incline.... so 1.5 was all I could manage). I was right. I am having to start over with conditioning....but I'm ok with that. That may be my motivation to not go a long period without running again......I now know how quickly I can regress and how much of a pain (sometime literally) it is to get back up to speed!

Big hugs to all :)