cavmommy

any regrets?

I'm Reading A Ton If Wls Success Stories, Anyone Wish They Hadn't Done It??

For me - it would have been suicidal not to have had WLS.  35+ years (documented with failed dieting attempts) of morbid obesity takes it's toll.

If I had to do it all again tomorrow - I'd be running into theatre.

Having said that, I don't know whether I'd have been as successful if I'd had surgery done when I was younger (I was 52 1/2).  I had reached rock bottom and was knocking on the door of multiple obesity related illnesses - WLS was my only way up. 

I have read posts from folks on TT who regret their WLS. I don't recall the links at the moment, but you can probably find them if you search. Some people have awful complications. There was someone who posted recently about getting the sleeve and then being diagnosed with colon cancer and having a much more difficult treatment plan as a result.

For myself, like Cinwa, I was at the end of my rope -- I'm 52 and have battled my weight my whole life. I lost about 70 pounds 5 years ago, but then put it all back and added 15 more. I just didn't see any other alternative, and I want to be active again. I have been one of the lucky ones that has not had complications (knock wood :)) and a relatively easy recovery.

I'm 18 mos out and my only regret thus far is not having worked more on my head/emotions/coping skills/disordered eating before surgery.  

No regrets...but wish that I didn't have to get to the point of needing surgery. I wonder how life might have been if I never was MO. I have decades of having to be aware of what my body has been through. I've had a few complications with sudden, massive upper GI bleeds. What if I get one while out in the jungles of the Congo? I can get some pretty severe reactive hypoglycemia at times. Rather die of an acute problem than the long, drawn out and debilitating life that being MO has in store.

Had my surgery at 45 and today I am a size 4 and in excellent health. My only regret was not doing it sooner. But I must look forward and be thankful that I did have the surgery.

Nope!  Like most, my only regret was not pursuing it sooner.  

First, let me say that I have not had any complications at all.  I know that really influences my opinion!  Surgery was my only option to save my life because of a terrible back injury that severely limits my ability to walk or exercise.  Then you throw in Fibromyalgia, RA, and other auto-immune issues...I am just a wreck!  This surgery is not the cure, but it has helped me be successful at something I have always struggled with...my weight.  It has not fixed all of my pre-surgery problems and I still have auto-immune problems, but if I had to choose this or the slow agonizing death I was living, I would hop on that operating table again in a flash! This side of the journey is so much sweeter than I ever could have imagined! Nope. No regrets...other than I wish I had done it sooner!

I'm Reading A Ton If Wls Success Stories, Anyone Wish They Hadn't Done It??

aside from being able to help those that are in the position I was before my rny reversal.....I wish I would have never had wls. it left me with way more medical issues than Istarted with. I'm now and will always be grateful to the surgeon that did my reversal, in doing so he helped me get some of my pre rny life back

imzadi@aol.com

grace

From a realist perspective I do not think any of us can honestly say we did or do not have regrets, the surgery is life changing for sure but it is not always  the best course. I think it only works for those who have explored and exhausted  all other viable options. From a personal viewpoint…could I have tried harder to lose weight and maintain a healthy diet…the answer is yes! The surgery forces you to look at your intake and ensure what you consume is healthy and value added  for  yourself……this does not go without the constant yearning for those foods which got you in trouble.

Let’s be frank most would love to kill a cheeseburger and a large order of fries washed down by  your favorite beverage.

To be honest I must drive my colleagues crazy as I ask to smell their (un-healthy ) food choices when they have them close…..helps with my cravings!

aside from being able to help those that are in the position I was before my rny reversal.....I wish I would have never had wls. it left me with way more medical issues than Istarted with. I'm now and will always be grateful to the surgeon that did my reversal, in doing so he helped me get some of my pre rny life back

If I had complications, I'd feel exactly the same way about wanting to get it reversed and it's the primary reason I went with RNY.

Edited by tmcgee

I am 14 years post-op, and up until the last year I would have said I had no regrets. That has changed. I have had continuous problems including ulcers, vomiting (I had to have exploratory abdominal surgery in 2010 because of daily vomiting and becoming malnourished; scar tissue was causing an obstruction), blood transfusions due to severe anemia (I am now undergoing IV iron therapy), my teeth (the ones remaining) are falling apart due to demineralization, loss of enamel and cavities, and I've had severe abdominal pain recently which resulted in an upper endoscopy. They found a 2 cm piece of surgical mesh embedded in my small bowel (it has obviously migrated from where it was initially placed over the years), distal to my G-J junction...and the last 2 doctors I've seen won't remove it. They are referring me back to my original bariatric surgeon (who may have placed the mesh in the first place, as that was a common practice back then to prevent hernias). I am frustrated, in constant pain, fatigued, and dejected. I understand the RNY procedure has improved greatly since I had it done. Unfortunately, I can't reverse the damage done. Now my only focus is to get healthy and avoid any further complications. Oh, AND I've regained 40 lbs in the last 2 years despite the little I eat and the vomiting I deal with. Sorry, I certainly didn't intend to be a Debbie Downer with this post...many people have been very successful. I'm just tired of being sick.

shan33alli, those are the kinds of things I worry about long term. You had your surgery a long time ago, so you are very experienced, so,If you don't mind asking, is there anything that you think you could have done differently to prevent these problems coming up?  And, do you think all of the issues were caused specifically by the RNY?

shan33alli i hope and pray thing get better for you. Thank you for sharing, its hard to hear but needed. God Bless!

I have zero regrets.  My dr (Primary Care) told me that if I didn't lose weight, one of my weight-related problems would kill me.  That got my attention fast.  In spite of the struggles at the beginning (body trying to get used to the new changes), it has been worth every minute. 

If you had asked me this question a year ago, I would have said yes. I am now 18 months out and settled in with the permanacy of the surgery. It was a long first year dealing with regret about having the surgery, the initial side effects of the surgery, marital problems from my husband's new found jealousy and trying to feel "normal' again.

I really have made the "GB diet" my lifestyle now. Protein first!

I never met my goal but I realized that it was unrealistic and too thin for me. I put on 5 pounds over the holidays and I have to get back to basics. I am happy that I have this tool in my body to help. 

I am still very fearful of long term side effects, but I will have to just deal with them as they come. My dr said as long as I follow the rules, I should be ok. I am very vigilant with my vitamins.

My only regret is that I let myself get so fat in the first place.

I had complications but don't regret that I had the bypass because I'm convinced I wouldn't be able to walk by now if I hadn't. I know a woman, though, who has permanent nerve damage from not taking her vitamins-- you can't just have the surgery and then go on like nothing has changed.

Had my surgery at 45 and today I am a size 4 and in excellent health. My only regret was not doing it sooner. But I must look forward and be thankful that I did have the surgery.

had my surgery at 62 and today I'm a size 4 and in excellent health! My only regret too was not doing it sooner!

Thursday I'm having my 5 th surgery in a 12 month period, 3 of them hernia related. I would still have the surgery done again in a heartbeat.

I was morbidly obese and had tons of health issues that have gone away.

I pretty much think the people who have regrets didn't consider wls as a last option.

This is what worries me about a lot of new people I encounter here and in real life that are having it solely based on the idea its a quick fix that will solve all life's problems.

No regrets at all!   I'm sooo much healthier than I was 2 1/2 yrs ago!  Happier too... :-)

No regrets here. I did a LOT of research prior to making my decision. One avenue I had at my disposal was having a brother working in the WLS field in research and development. The studies he had access to were invaluable to me and made my decision to have the RNY an easy one.

I agree with others who have said that those who jump to this as the quick fix are the ones I would be concerned with. I used this as a LAST resort. I was facing a multitude of other problems and would have had to have a third back surgery by now if I hadn't dropped the weight. 

I am diligent with my vitamins and protein first. Life changes??? Yes, But I am LIVING my life, not watching it from the sidelines!

I did at the beginning. I was in college away from my support and I thought I could not handle the changes alone. Afterthat 1st few months pasted and I was beyond happy with my results! People noticed! I noticed! I would fly home and not be the "fat chick in row 23" you know the looks. Once I got passed my fear of change I became so greatful for the life change! 100000% worth it

No regrets.  Besides marrying my wonderful spouse, getting the RNY gastric bypass in November 2013 was the smartest decision of my life.  I feel so much more healthy and happy, and the restrictions that the surgery puts on me are relatively minimal and totally acceptable.  The worst part is the first week after surgery. 

BEST DECISSION OF MY LIFE.  Nothing is free though I am so happy and grateful but struggling with many issues generated after bypass.    joint pain, tiredness, some infections.  

I would do it again in a blink.

I will admit it. I had horrible regrets in the beginning. I was miserable. Mostly because I expected to be similar to the "average" person having WLS. I had no complications, however...instead of one week recovery... I needed four weeks. While most move through their food ladder pretty well... I was barely getting in one shake a day... And could not progress for weeks. When I did start to add something heavier(soft cheese, fish, etc) at about week six.... I couldn't keep it down. Only a tsp of well chewed soft fish was enough to send me to the bathroom vomiting. I could barely get in 200 cals a day for a long time. I would reach out for advice here, and I would get great advice... "Get your liquids and proteins in". Except... I physically couldn't. The worst part was that I hit the week three stall.... And it didn't break for six full weeks. So...I couldn't eat...and I wasn't losing....

....I became extremely depressed... And I regretted my decision. But at that point, what could I do?

But now I have about four months under my belt, and I'm doing much better, and I'm happy that I made the choice I did...