Update with June people?

Cxc422

So I am sure some are on pre-op diets, some in surgery, some just out, and some a few weeks out.  Lets share how it is going.

I will be two weeks out on Monday the 24th.  Feeling better every day.  Not taking any pain medicine anymore, except the occasional extra strength tylenol.  I am thrilled to be able to sleep on my side, not perfectly comfortably but reasonably.  I found using anti itch stuff on my incisions and some lotion helped with the itching alot!  I am still exhausted, I generally need an early afternoon nap or by late afternoon I am a sack of potatoes.  I am just starting to try a decent walk each day.

I don't seem to be on team constipation, rather the "other" team.  Atkins drinks don't sit well, but I have found Gold standard 100% Whey protein is very thin and packs a great punch of protein.  And adding PB2 to it helps give something different.  I have been trying different types of soups in my full liquid phase, and I expect to be on mushies on Monday.  I am a band revision to bypass, and my band Dr was very ridged with the phases after surgery, so I am pretty happy with how fast moving my phases are now.  Or maybe I am older so time goes by faster?  Either way. . . . .

I still have some pain in my torso, the worst is my large incision where he pulled the band out.  Brused and lumpy.  Also bruised from the shot they gave me in my tummy for blood clots while in the hospital.

I have been lucky not to throw up or anything, being a band patient probably helped that.  And man do I have some crazy vidid dreams every night which I promptly forget.

How are things going for everyone else?

I am 4 days out of bypass. Things are pretty good. Luckily didn't need much pain meds. I just take a little dose before bed and one more when I wake up the first time about 7 hours later. Then no more during the day. Been walking up and down driveway.and on treadmill every few hours, but only for about 5 min each. Getting the fluids in pretty good. So far today I've had a 11oz protein shake, 8 oz skim milk, 15 oz water, 8 oz chicken broth, 1 popcicle, (2oz)', 4 more oz of protein shake, and it is almost 5:30 pm. So pretty good I think. Just came home yesterday from the gallons of fluid they kept pumping through me at the hospital. So I think I'm on the right track. Though disappointed about the weight gain in hospital because of fluids. Sucks when you weigh more than when you went in.:(. But I know things will get better with time. So that's my update.

Slimsue:  yup  the clothes I wore into the hospital were tighter coming home!  What a bummer that was.  But within the first few days home it does start to reduce a bit.  I seem to be one of the people who sweat it all out at night.  Happened with my pregnancy as well.  A few extra towels in the bed helps that.

Thank goodness. The night nurse I had was a veteran bypass master and she recommended weighing everyday. However I think I will wait a few days, lol. ;)

I'm 2 weeks postop. I was sent home with hydrocodone for pain & phenergan for nausea & I have not taken either one since I've been home. Pain mgt was excellent at hospital. I was on IV Tylenol & IV Toradol every 6 hrs & not as needed. I did not have the narcotic hangover & no catheter!! No drains either. I was only attached to an IV. I did receive 2 doses of IV dilaudid for breakthrough pain after my 1st encounter with a taste of jello of all things on the afternoon of postop day 1. I was up walking by myself the night of surgery. My pouch remains very sensitive. I'm still on clear liquids & only getting in about 30 oz fluid a day & no protein. :(. I'm not able to keep anything down. It's weird. I can sip broth, eat SF Popsicles, suck on ice chips & then all at once I get the severe pressure in my chest & throat lasting hrs & then I just throw up like I have the flu or something. I must admit I have tried very thin cream of wheat & strained cream of mushroom soup but that was over a week ago. So I hd an EGD & it's normal. My surgeon wants me to stay on stage 1 clear/full liquid diet for a week so I decided on a stage 1 clear liquid diet & forget the meds. I had the EGD yesterday & later yesterday afternoon I was very sick to the point my pouch & my abdominal muscles were hurting. Very scary. Then I got sick when I was sleeping last night. So today I have had 3 Popsicles & ice chips. I tried 1 of the nectar protein drinks but I could only take a sip. The good news is I have not been sick yet today!! Otherwise I feel good, just tired. And I absolutely have no regrets about having the surgery. My pouch just needs time to heal & I need time to figure out my new pouch. :). Oh, did I mention I can walk up our road & not be in pain or short of breath!! I am very happy.

Wynter:  When I was recovering from getting my band I found I could not eat jello at all.  It was the craziest thing.  So it has always been something I avoid.  Great job walking!

I am finding that certain foods are going well and some are not.  Even between different protein shakes, I am wondering if I am just healing or if I am getting a mild form of dumping from some of them.  I can count on it that I will be in the bathroom shorty after if I have certain protein drinks (esp atkins) but I can also count on a nice smooth morning if I stick with Gold standard 100% whey.  So I find myself sticking with that (and adding some PB2 in as well).  Same with soups (since I am in my full liquid phase)  tomato soup, cream of Asparagus, potato leek all send me straight to the bathroom, where cream of mushroom, split pea seem just fine. So strange.  Sugar free fat free pudding made with FF milk seems to be fine.

I am looking forward to the next phases so I can concentrate on my solid proteins and stay away from this dance with fat in soups.

Trying to get out early in the day for a bit of a walk, the summer heat is starting to come in.  Sweating in my incisions is no fun!

I hear that Cxc! I live in south Texas. Wow, I start sweating the minute I walk out the door. Thank goodness for my semi operational treadmill. Can't wait until winter. Lol gonna be a while down here.;)

I had gastric bypass on June 10th and am doing SO well!  I had some troubles with my back muscles hurting the two or three days after surgery.  It was like I had no muscle ability in my abdomen, so my back muscles compensated for it and got REALLY tired and sore and tight.  It was hard to sleep with them so tense.  I also had some trouble (and still am) with "team constipation".  Funny way to put that, cxc422!  I recommend taking a stool softener as soon as the doctor will allow!  Other than that, I am loving my new life.  My stamina is not yet there and I tire easily, but that is improving every day and I'm able to exercise more every day.  My post-op appointment is tomorrow and I hope to be cleared to head back to the gym (can't imagine why I would not be)!  So very happy with my decision to do gastric bypass.  I'm 8 pounds down since surgery and 22 since March.  Feeling great!!!   :D

I had gastric bypass on June 10th and am doing SO well! I had some troubles with my back muscles hurting the two or three days after surgery. It was like I had no muscle ability in my abdomen, so my back muscles compensated for it and got REALLY tired and sore and tight. It was hard to sleep with them so tense. I also had some trouble (and still am) with "team constipation". Funny way to put that, cxc422! I recommend taking a stool softener as soon as the doctor will allow! Other than that, I am loving my new life. My stamina is not yet there and I tire easily, but that is improving every day and I'm able to exercise more every day. My post-op appointment is tomorrow and I hope to be cleared to head back to the gym (can't imagine why I would not be)! So very happy with my decision to do gastric bypass. I'm 8 pounds down since surgery and 22 since March. Feeling great!!! :D

I had the back pain too! Even asked the nurse assistant to push on the muscles a little and she did! They took such good care of me. But the back hurting was a surprise, luckily it is better.:)

Edited by slimsue

I had my surgery on the 4th of June. I have no problems with food, but I am severly constipated. I am also still exhausted. Just feel like the blood has drained from my body.

Finally able to keep a protein shake & cream soup down. Still low on my protein & fluid intake but I'm slowly working on it. It scares me how "violently" I'll I was. But it has been a week since all that drama so hopefully I'm back on track. I need some energy! Hubby made venison & beef vegetable soup in crockpot yesterday. The strained broth was heavenly with flavor. Have PCP appointment today.