MommaKitty

Anyone from MT?

Still trying to get my money together for my cash pay, but was wondering in the meantime if anyone was from MT?

Welcome to TT! I am not from Montana, but my mom grew up in Great Falls, and I worked with a guy who grew up in Shelby :).

How far away do you have to go for surgery?

I am lucky in that my surgeon is 20 minutes from my house, and the surgery center where my sleeve was done was even a bit closer.

Hey! I'm having mine done in great falls. It won't be for about another two months ... Maybe three but I'm excited. I'm scared too lol ! I have never had any kind of surgery so I'm not sure what to expect. I love coming on here and reading about everyone's , gives me a little heads up.

I'm from Billings.  I'm excited for you to be able to get the surgery even if you have to pay cash.  I too, had to figure out a way to get the money as my insurance had a clause that didn't pay for any weight loss surgery or management of any kind.  I did it and would do it over 100 times.  It has been an awesome journey.  Being scared and excited are truly normal feelings at this stage in the game.  Feel free to contact me anytime.  I wish you a great surgery, recovery, and road on your journey for life.  It is an exciting one!!

Thanks swenger! I'm totally freaked about being put under. I hope my surgery goes smooth when I get it. Is it normal to be scared you are not going to wake up? I'm not panicking about it but the thought has crossed my mind.

I had a lot of fears pre-surgery -- I wasn't so afraid of being put under per se, but I was definitely afraid of dying. I knew my fears were not based in fact or likelihood, but they were still there. I found being pre-surgical to be a real roller-coaster of emotion.

Fortunately, as you can see :), I did wake up from anesthesia and I didn't die :). I can tell you that once they got the IV in and put the happy juice in the IV, I didn't care what they did :).

And, my recovery has gone pretty smoothly -- I hope you have a good outcome as well!

I'm in Kalispell, so hello to my fellow Montanans. I won't be having my surgery until December/January depending on insurance approval. I'm so glad I found this forum. I believe I'm making a well informed decision about my health for the rest of my life. I'm not so nervous about the surgery itself... Except for the pain. And I feel like a big sissy even saying that. It's actually long term complications that are freaking me out a bit. I am going to a seminar in Missoula on August first and I have a ton of questions for them. To anyone who has already been through it... What does the psych exam consist of?

I'm in Kalispell, so hello to my fellow Montanans. I won't be having my surgery until December/January depending on insurance approval. I'm so glad I found this forum. I believe I'm making a well informed decision about my health for the rest of my life. I'm not so nervous about the surgery itself... Except for the pain. And I feel like a big sissy even saying that. It's actually long term complications that are freaking me out a bit. I am going to a seminar in Missoula on August first and I have a ton of questions for them. To anyone who has already been through it... What does the psych exam consist of?

First off hello and WELCOME to TT Goldengirl. As for the psych exam I'm not totally sure since I'm cash pay I did not have to do it. Just answered a few questions that literally took two mins. From my mothers apt. She told me its all about how you feel emotionally and deal with things. That being said my mom has had some issues with being bi polar and she was still able to get the surgery. I think it's just to see that mentally you know what your body is about to go threw And Are you mentally prepared . But do not take my word on that bc I'm really just not sure.

Ok , second, love love love this site. But as you said complications are a scared thing and not to be taken lightly BUTTTTT, and a big but you must remember how rare it is for complications ........Try to keep and open and positive attitude on your journey. I say this because I was reading people's stories and watching YouTube videos and literally gave myself a panic attack. I was so scared thing about all these things complications,malabsorption and excess skin ... Blah blah blah. I had to take a step back and remember that EVERYONE is different. My body is different , how I carry my weight is different and my health is different. We're not all the same and just because something went wrong with one person does not mean that is going to happen to me. I know it sounds like a no brained but just try when you are talking all this info in to remember that.

On that note I hope you get approved quickly and without it being a pain. If you ever have questions feel free to ask !

Thanks for the pep talk, MommaKitty. That's exactly what I needed to hear. My kids, 22 & 19 were terrified when I first told them about this but now they're encouraging me to do it. They're both coming to Missoula with me on the first & my mom will come up from San Francisco for the first week or so post op.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery and journey are a breeze!

What part of TX are you from? I used to have family (in laws) in Corpus Christi and Kerrville.

Thanks for the pep talk, MommaKitty. That's exactly what I needed to hear. My kids, 22 & 19 were terrified when I first told them about this but now they're encouraging me to do it. They're both coming to Missoula with me on the first & my mom will come up from San Francisco for the first week or so post op.

I hope your surgery goes smoothly and your recovery and journey are a breeze!

What part of TX are you from? I used to have family (in laws) in Corpus Christi and Kerrville.

Not a problem. I know it's a scared decision. And we are from Mineral Wells. I only lived in TX about 5 years I'm originally from Florida.

Hi. Billings here. July 11th was my surgery. I am down 49#. I had two weeks protein diet before my surgery and lost 22 then. I had my surgery in Great Falls and dont like the travel but that was where medicare said..... I am 60 and have to admit I felt older begore the surgery.!!!! I had no life sick and disabled and sick and tired of it. Now i feel I have my life begore me and am full of hope for my future. Married 42 years and my hubby is very happy with this move. So am I!!!

Hello inhisgrace !!! I have my apt next week with Roher, did you like him? And how was the care at the hospital? I'm so nervous ! I'm glad to hear you are doing so well, that is amazing ! This is def a wonderful tool I would have to say. I see people who have had it done and totally turn there life's around it such a pleasure to see. I'm currently in Shelby and I have to travel to Great Falls also, not as far as you did it's only a little over an hour from me.

Hi. Billings here. July 11th was my surgery. I am down 49#. I had two weeks protein diet before my surgery and lost 22 then. I had my surgery in Great Falls and dont like the travel but that was where medicare said..... I am 60 and have to admit I felt older begore the surgery.!!!! I had no life sick and disabled and sick and tired of it. Now i feel I have my life begore me and am full of hope for my future. Married 42 years and my hubby is very happy with this move. So am I!!!

MommaKitty, you are that much closer to your surgery date than when I first wrote to you.  As you advance closer to surgery you will have a lot of head games and thoughts within the weeks and hours leading up to surgery.  They are all valuable but the way I looked at it .........I was excited to have the surgery done, and figured if I didn't have it done I would be looking at a miserable life ahead of me as I am a yo-yo'er, and have battled my weight since I was 9 years old.  I didn't want that life anymore so was willing to do the surgery and figured the surgeons hands were in God's hands, and prayer does work.  It was a quick trip in and out of surgery, and home 30 hours after walking into the hospital.  Have never regretted my decision for 1 moment and would do it over again 100 x's.  Good luck to you.......The time is getting closer. 

Thanks Swenger! I know about the head games,ugh. I was starting to stuff everything in my face I could get my hands on for like a week. I kept saying this is the last time I can have this , or this, or this and it just got out of hand. Thankfully I noticed what I was doing and stopped. I know this road is hard but I'm determined to do it right. As of today I have not had a soda in a week, that was a HUGE feat for me. By my apt next Thursday I want to cut out all sugar. My two week per op diet starts that following Monday , I'm hoping from cutting sugar and caffeine out by then it will help me cope with it better.

I am looking forward to being a healthier me. I have not been able to enjoy so much because of my weight . This is a big thing for me. I have never had a surgery so the biggest thing I fear is getting put to sleep. But it's in gods hands after that .... I'm just gonna have to keep thinking positive. I was really freaked out here not to long ago from reading so not so happy posts. I have since started not clicking on something if I know it's going to be a bad one, just for a little peace of mind for me till I am on the other side.

MommaKitty, you are that much closer to your surgery date than when I first wrote to you.  As you advance closer to surgery you will have a lot of head games and thoughts within the weeks and hours leading up to surgery.  They are all valuable but the way I looked at it .........I was excited to have the surgery done, and figured if I didn't have it done I would be looking at a miserable life ahead of me as I am a yo-yo'er, and have battled my weight since I was 9 years old.  I didn't want that life anymore so was willing to do the surgery and figured the surgeons hands were in God's hands, and prayer does work.  It was a quick trip in and out of surgery, and home 30 hours after walking into the hospital.  Have never regretted my decision for 1 moment and would do it over again 100 x's.  Good luck to you.......The time is getting closer. 

Hi MT people! I've not been on in a while - forgot my password, so I was reduced to lurking. . .I'm from Billings and am 1 1/2 years out from surgery. My weight loss has pretty much stopped, but I have lost 117 pounds. My weight fluctuates a couple of pounds and I weigh daily. I haven't had any complications and my blood work looks good. . .I have a PCP appt. in a few weeks. . .haven't seen her for a year, so I'm anxious to hear what she has to say. I'm currently about 9 days out from my 1st (and probably last!) triathlon. I never would've dreamt I'd be even attempting to do this, but I feel good - I have some back and hip issues that I thought would keep me from running, but truthfully, running doesn't make them any worse, so. . . .I hope I finish before everyone packs up and goes home!! My life is about a billion times better than it was, I'm healthy and active. I've been able to do so many things - I even bought a horse and have been taking riding lessons - next year, my goal is to ride in the Big Sky State Games! I have three nieces who have had surgery, one before I did, and two this summer and they are doing great! I did have a sister who died after surgery, so I do know that this is a very major operation, and truthfully, I felt like I was already half-dead and knew that I couldn't keep on without surgery, so even though it was scary, I took the plunge. And I'm super glad I did. Swenger - I haven't been able to go to support group. . .my schedule is not working for it. . .have you gone since Mistee is gone?

Flooter- congrats on maintaining your loss. I'm sorry to hear about your sister, did she have complications before the surgery that lead to her death?

I also feel half dead I don't do anything but sit in my house anymore . I use to ride horses and camp among other things but now I don't do anything. I can't wait to be able to be outdoors again.

Glad you found your password and a big welcome back !

Yes, my sister had previous abdominal surgeries that left lots of scar tissue and adhesions. . .the surgeon should not have gone ahead with the surgery when he saw there wasn't enough usable intestine, but went ahead and she had lots of internal bleeding, leading to loss of brain function. Make sure you're as healthy as you can be before surgery - try to walk, and make sure you follow your surgeon's protocol for liver shrinking before surgery. I love riding my horse! It definitely is one of the biggest perks of weight loss! You'll get there! Good luck!

I'm from Bozeman!

I live in WA now. I'm definitely homesick. Say "hi" to the beautiful mountains for me!  :)

Hoping surgery has gone well. I am in Billings. I am 9 months out of surgery and feel much better without the extra 125 pounds weighing me down. I still have 65 more I would like to get off, but things have slowed down. My husband also had surgery (gastric bypass) and has met his goal. It has been a life changer!

Hoping surgery has gone well. I am in Billings. I am 9 months out of surgery and feel much better without the extra 125 pounds weighing me down. I still have 65 more I would like to get off, but things have slowed down. My husband also had surgery (gastric bypass) and has met his goal. It has been a life changer!

Sorry it took me so long to write...lost my password.  I may be thinner but the brain is still 60+.  ha.  Would love to meet you and pick your brain.  I am out 10 weeks now and finally being glad I did this.  Very glad.  Still learning a lot though.  I go to a support group at Deaconess and one at St. V's.  email me if you wish.  inhisgrace2004@msn.com   I live in the Heights.  Sounds like you have done wonderfully.  

Hello inhisgrace !!! I have my apt next week with Roher, did you like him? And how was the care at the hospital? I'm so nervous ! I'm glad to hear you are doing so well, that is amazing ! This is def a wonderful tool I would have to say. I see people who have had it done and totally turn there life's around it such a pleasure to see. I'm currently in Shelby and I have to travel to Great Falls also, not as far as you did it's only a little over an hour from me.

HI, yes, I did like Dr Rohrer and the staff.  It was just so darn far away!  Not happy that medicare made me go there but made the best of it and am doing great.  Best of luck to you.  Everyone was super nice.  

I live in Georgia but lived in Big Fork and painted Christmas trees back in 92/93 (no one here believed me:).  Most beautiful place I have ever lived!

Best of luck to all of you....I'm only 3 weeks out so no great advice, but would love to help anyway I can!

Sonya

OMG I am so excited!!!!!

My husband and I have been dreaming about moving to Kalispell.  We finally came up this summer and fell in love with it.  When I am finished with school we are headed that way.  

WOOHOO MONTANA