Groin issues.

Dees

Dees, you are very courageous to share this. I feel horrible that you're experiencing this. I pray the treatment will clear it up and ease the discomfort.

I am so very sorry you are dealing with this health problem. We are here for you, if you need to chat or vent. Keep us updated on how your doing. ((HUGS))

I to have Hidradenitis Suppurativa and since there is no definitive test for it, I wouldn't rule it out. I would most likely see a Dermatologist as this is their field. I started out having these "cysts" in my armpits as a teen and later in my groin. I have had some surgically removed and others I had to just wait them out. It causes tunnels and they also fill with gunk . Some come back frequently. It used to seem like they were tied to my menstrual cycle, but since I no longer menstruate they seem to be on a 3-4 week cycles. 

A second opinion might be a good idea. Although Hidradenitis Suppurativa is incurable and treatments are of limited help, it does help to know that you are not alone and that there are support groups that offer advice as well as support.

I hope you find out what is going on and heal fast!

New update.

Everything is now closed. I have been using this gel for three days. No open wounds. No pain under the skin. I think I've about got it.

I am really shocked because you don't know how long this has been going on now. I keep looking for it to start up again. It's not.

Will report back in another week with the medications I'm taking if it continues to stay gone. I am so happy right now, I am wiggling in my chair. Wiggle wiggle. I can do that without pain. It's AWESOME.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd chime in briefly.  Sorry, Dees, to hear you're having so much trouble.  My granddaughter, who has a stick-like body has been dealing with these for the past six months.  She's seen a number of doctors ultimately landing at a plastic surgeon's office.  She had been on a strong antibiotic for over a month and there was finally some healing so he said he would not do anything further at this time.  The one bit of advice her offered her, though, was to use Nair to keep the area hair-free.  Since I wasn't at the appointment I can't offer you an explanation but thought it was worth passing on.

All the very best!

So glad to hear things are better!  What an ordeal to have to go through - hopes and prayers that it is gone for good this time!

Hope things are still going well! As my weight has gone up and slightly down over the years I have had several "cysts" that sometimes have required antibiotics to get rid of. It sucks to have pain when you sit, sometimes no matter how you try to adjust. Hang in there! Hopefully insurance will help with plastic surgery to get rid of some excess skin and this issue will be history

Okie dokie, kids.  As promised:

They farted around a little more with the medications.  For the last three weeks I have been on:

*   Doxycycline Hycl, 100mg, twice per day.

*   Clindamycin phosphate and benzoyl peroxide gel (1.2% / 2.5%), twice per day (morning and bedtime).

The former is an antibiotic used for several applications including (I guess) malaria.  lol.  Whatever, it's working.

The latter is a gel that I use twice daily on the area most prone to infection.  It has a topical antibiotic in it to my understanding along with peroxide (we know what peroxide does).  It's supposed to inhibit the infection... help to slow it so the antibiotic can take control.

I am very glad to say that everything is now closed and has been for weeks.  The area where the infection was is no longer painful to all but the most viscious prods.  Neither side has broken open again for weeks, and it doesn't feel like it's trying to swell again either.

The antibiotics hurt my stomach.  I have to take them with food, and they make my bowels cramp up visciously sometimes.  But I can deal with that.  I'm usually constipated anyway.  Whatever... one less pill I have to take (no more mineral oil for the last week, lol).

God, I hate posting these things, but again, ladies... if it helps even one person, then it's worth it.  You don't have to be a dirty person, or even sexually active for this to happen to you.  I am very clean and monogamous and my husband did not bring any diseases to me.  Sometimes this just happens.  Again, I urge anyone with problems in the crease of the thigh or groin area to get your OBGYN right on it. 

Anyway, these medications are apparently going to be my salvation.  I feel pretty darn good right now.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Back at the doctor's office this morning. Will report in when I'm done. Currently waiting for the doc to arrive while sitting with no bottoms and a sheet over my legs. Fun.

Okie dokie. Here's the scoop.

This was my follow up appointment. The doctor is pleased that everything is closed and the infection is gone. However, I have what's called Boolean scarring--which is where your scars don't heal concave or flat--they puff up and are hard. Another name for this keloids.

It's unusual for someone of my skin color to get these an he noted that, but I explained my background and he did one of those "Ohhhh..." moments.

So anyway. The point is that I now have big puffy scars in the crease of my thighs. Now that wouldn't be an issue except of course that I am prone to infection. So he is concerned that the hard ridges of the scars will cause irritation and make the infection bloom again.

Solution? They are going to excise the hard pieces of scars. Meaning they are going to cut them out and leave a "pit", which then should counter any more Boolean scarring and leave me with a relatively flat line of skin.

They are going to do this in February. He wanted to do it in Jan, but I told him I'm going on vacation and I'd like to be able to be active, and I also don't want to be out of the country while I'm healing with these. So February it is.

He is also referring me to a plastic surgeon for an initial consult because of this issue. It is much too early for a tummy tuck (I have another 60 lbs at least) but he said they might be able to do some clean-up in my thigh area to help give me some relief from any possible future infections. That consult is also in February.

I am still taking the antibiotic and using the gel. This is currently what's keeping everything closed and non-painful.

Just an update. I'm going to continue to update as I go. Again, one day this may really help someone else. So I'm making this public. Hope I don't gross anyone out.

I am also light and get keloids. I had them from other surgies and some from GBS. I also have had a cyst once that burst on its own. not fun! I hope this will be behind you soon

Bummer! But maybe an insurance coverd thigh lift could be fun...or something to make it exciting, right?! I'm still pre-op, but down almost thirty pounds in three months and I'm noticing some underwear area irritatiion. Ugh. At least I can save your posts for the doctors to help them decode my downstairs if needed! Thanks Dees! I hope vacation and recovery go well for you :)

I am glad your infection is gone, but hate you have to have surgery. Have fun on your vaca! We are taking a mini vaca at the end of the month for our anniversary. I think it's really brave you are documenting. It could really help someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Dees,

Im new here, but just read thru this. The medications you are on are the same ones my sons Dermotologist put him on. He had two hard "bumps" on his face, by his nose. They were both large and both had been there for several months. I tried everything prior to taking him to the dermotologist. His PCP was stumped and prescribed everything under the sun. She suggested a biopsy when I insisted on a referral to the Dermotologist.

Low and behold, the Derm. knew what it was immediately, prescribed those prescriptions and in 1 month they were gone. WOW!!!  Yes very pricey RX's but worth it. They were by the sinus cavities and may have caused the spread from one to two, and like yours prior to the meds would start to go away them errupt again. I am happy to report his face is smooth and bump free again!

I am glad you shared your story. The "boil" issues are not foreign to a lot of women!!! :)

Best wishes on your continued journey and thank you again for your bravery!

• 1 month later...

K. So here's the scoop.

The medicine is not doing what they wanted it to do. It did heal the skin but did not kill the infection. He thought he would do a short excision today right in the office and he could not.

The pills have made the infection burrow deeper. It can't get out from under the scar tissue, so it's instead heading inward. Not good.

Two things.

First, they want to put me on a new drug. This is a powerful drug, but it causes birth defects (like kids born with flipper arms). Since I'm still in child bearing years, and I haven't had a hysterectomy, we are going to have to jump through some hoops to get me on this stuff. Even though I want no more children and begged my OBGYN to give me a tubal instead of an IUD. Doesn't matter. I could catch pregnant and it could disqualify me.

In the meantime, I have a surgery date on March 20'th. I will be under general anasthesia. They are going to delve into the deep tissue of (mostly) the thighs, remove the bad sections, and use extra thigh tissue to sew me back up. I will be flat on my back for 4-5 days, spread eagled, with a fan pointed at my groin to keep it dry. This is the surgeon telling me this...wish I was kidding. He said the point is to give the skin time to heal before I'm sitting on it. There's a real risk of bursting some stitches.

I may have to have a drain. If I do I will need more time off.

The surgery is not a cure but may give me relief for several years before it comes back.

The only other option is a skin graft. I'm not ready for that yet.

It's disfiguring, this surgery. I may have trouble with my labia staying closed while sitting. I may have trouble with a malformed mons "pouch". I will have scarring from the procedure down both thighs.

I had my tears this morning already. Time to buck up and do it. This is not going to rule my life.