BjKahl

3 Week Pre-Op Diet

My surgery is scheduled for May 29th and I have been on a 3 protein shake and a 300 calorie meal since May 6th.  This adds up to about 700 calories.  I can have an extra shake in the evenings if I am still hungry.  I have noticed that I wake up in the middle of the night if I don't have the evening shake.   At this point, I am struggling to stay with it.  I want sweets and that is all my brain can think about.  Any advice????  

Just hang in there!  I don't crave sweets at all since surgery.  I don't know if sleevers have a different experience with this or not.  A yogurt or little bit of fruit will satisfy any sweet tooth I have these days.

You have to fight that sweet craving babe - feeding it will just make you want more and more.

You're doing really well and you've got just 12 more days to get through.  Up your fluids as much as you can - try some of the fruity herbal teas.  You can do this!

I hear you! I'm on my 2 weeks of optifast which is 3 shakes  (450 cals all up) and 2 - 4 cups of vegetables (as salads or cooked) and I am just hanging in there too! I'm allowed low-joule diet jelly so maybe you can too?? Helps if you want something sweet..... I am craving fish and chips :-( I did have maccas the other night (a slip up) and I felt so blah and tired afterwards....proved a point to me that it is not good for your system!  Hang in there - I'm having my op on the 29th too :-)

Edited by hamrod_5271

You have to fight that sweet craving babe - feeding it will just make you want more and more.

You're doing really well and you've got just 12 more days to get through.  Up your fluids as much as you can - try some of the fruity herbal teas.  You can do this!

Hadn't thought about the fruity herbal teas.  Thanks for the idea!

I hear you! I'm on my 2 weeks of optifast which is 3 shakes  (450 cals all up) and 2 - 4 cups of vegetables (as salads or cooked) and I am just hanging in there too! I'm allowed low-joule diet jelly so maybe you can too?? Helps if you want something sweet..... I am craving fish and chips :-( I did have maccas the other night (a slip up) and I felt so blah and tired afterwards....proved a point to me that it is not good for your system!  Hang in there - I'm having my op on the 29th too :-)

Good luck.  It's nice to know I am not the only one dealing with this.  Sometimes I feel so alone.  I started to drool this morning watching my daughter eat peanut butter toast.  It looked and smelled so yummy.   I just keep reminding myself why I am doing this.  I already feel better.  

I found the pre op diet really hard to do. Was always hungry. was also out working all day and all you see are fast food restaurants. Tried to keep my mind off food as best I could.

Different teas did help. Now I will have lemon tea and squeeze more lemon in it. Good for cleansing liver besides my gr tea. I have been  drinking this tea every morn for like 8 years. No coffee, I know it does have some caffeine in it, but I like a hot drink in the morn. It's called Yogi Slim life with blueberry.

I am feeling grateful right now that my pre-op diet was just to maintain my protein and keep my daily calories under 1200.  For Kaiser though we had to do a 3 month class and lose 10% of our weight before we could get the surgery referral.  I am wishing I had been on a liquid diet prior to the surgery though because I didn't feel like I was prepared for the liquid only diet post -op.  The first few days of clear liquids only suited me fine because I felt awful and needed to get through that with some hard core healing.  But now (im only 9 days out) I am sick of liquids LOL - I want to chew something .... I keep telling myself "soon" LOL - so.....I am jealous .... I think you will be more prepared for the weeks on liquid :)  

You're doing a great job and you're sooooooo close now!!!

I know the feeling...I'm 3 weeks post op now...Just keep in mind the end result!!! Drink lots of water...I also got to have sugar free jello,low sodium broth, fat free greek yogurt as well as my protein shakes.

I also got to have sugar free jello,low sodium broth, fat free greek yogurt as well as my protein shakes.

I have to chime in and agree with the sugar free jello and the greek yogurt being a total GOD SEND