Jay W

Brain Cravings!

I am 11 days post-op and just starting to get cravings. Not real cravings, but brain cravings. I chalk this up mainly to not actually having chewed anything for 2 weeks. I want a piece of cheese to gnaw on. 

It is strange not having the brain craving connect to the appetite and belly like it used to. It simply just stops at the brain. No desire to get in the car and go buy what you crave like before. It is strange having to force myself to drink and eat Jell-O because I have no hunger at all.

I have also noticed that my sense of smell has increased. Has anyone else experienced that?

Hope all the May surgeries are doing well.

The good thing is that you realize it's just "head hunger" you are experiencing. It should let up once you can eat more solid foods. And now is a good time to develop a different relationship with food. Since you simply CAN'T eat what you used to and your real appetite is diminished, it makes this the easiest time to create other habits. The heightened sense of smell is pretty normal. It usually disappears once you start getting in a more balanced diet.

I'm having brain cravings too! My stomach isn't hungry at ALL but I keep having visions of eating chicken hahaha. I was allowed pureed foods as of Thursday, so now that I can have greek yogurt my brain feels much more satisfied. I also feel like I can smell things from a mile away now! 

I have also noticed that my sense of smell has increased. Has anyone else experienced that?

I am TOTALLY experiencing that too!  I am 9 days post op and EVERYTHING seems so dramatically intense (smell wise) - I couldn't sit still at my daughter's school play because the stranger next to me had the worst bad breath but no one else in my family could tell....weird right?