Jay W

Four Days Post OP

Greetings Forum! 

I apologize it has taken so long for me to post an update. 

The surgery went great, the hospital staff were extremely friendly and said I did very well for my first surgery. I was up and walking fairly soon.

The only issues I have had so far was I had trouble passing gas until early Sunday morning, which caused extreme pain and discomfort. But I believe I was blessed not to have any other gas pains like others have had in my shoulders, back, and other areas. With the help of Milk of Magnesia I was able to relieve that pain.

Now, I am just dealing with the standard surgery pain. 

So far the liquid diet is going well. I have great support with my wife and my daughter, which has been a great help.

Looking forward to being able to walk around without pain, but I know it is a process.

Good luck to all of you who are going to have surgery soon.  

So good to hear from you,   keep us posted.   Join us in the chat room some evening.  k

Edited by KarensTurn

Glad to hear everything went well without complications!  Post-op pain is different for everyone, make sure you keep on schedule with your pain meds and walk as much as you can the first few days.  Wearing an abdominal binder helps a lot with that, keeps everything stable so your incisions aren't jostled around when you move.  Take care and keep us posted on your progress - welcome to the loser's bench!

Glad to hear you are doing well.  It is great to see a post from someone who has had surgery recently.  I go in on May 29th.  Any advice would be great.  

Thank you for the kind words.

So far I would say the best decision I've made was to rent a big recliner for a month. Sleeping in it has been extremely comfortable. 

As for advice pre-op, I would say go into it with as little anxiety as possible. Follow the directions of the staff because they have experience with every outcome and know what is best for you. 

Be sure and have a support system in place for at least four days post-op. I would suggest someone who can put up with your worst behavior, because you will be short and irritable. 

Besides that, every surgery is different so go into it with minimal expectations and you will do fine. 

Good Luck!

Congratulations!  Sounds like you are progressing very normally.

Great news- thanks for the update!!

Congratulations!

My surgery was May 22. I have to say my wife was a trooper. She is a nurse, she took off work to care for me. I was a bit irritable. But she did great. But i think by the end of her time off, she was ready for work, and some new patients...lol

Hahaha I felt the same about my mom! I think she was glad my recovery was over just as much as I was...

Glad your doing well!!! :) Keep doing what the doctor tells you and you'll be fine! :)

Sounds like your doing fantastic!  ROCK ON!