silvertaurus

surgery yesterday...barium swallow won't work?

Surgery yesterday. I'm in the hospital still. When I had my swallow test the barium couldn't get into my stomach since it was swollen shut. Tons of pain and can't have fluids yet. Was in post op for almost four hours as they tried to get my blood pressure under control and get the pain under control also.

Anybody else have to wait for days in order check for leaks? Doc is saying he might not run another test at all if I can keep down liquids. I'm not sure that seems right.

Great nurses, and I've liked my doctor all along...just looking for reassurance I guess..

I'm pre-op so no advice, just know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Everyone's body responds differently. You should be able to swallow liquids. Listen to your surgeon.

I would insist they get the leak (barium) test before you leave.

I did not have a leak test and did just fine.

No doubt, you are in the best possible place.

My doc doesn't do barium tests. There are other signs they can look for for a leak.

Good luck.

Hang in there!  I will pray for you to recover quickly.  

Your surgeon has to settle this. Even if someone else had a similar experience, your body and problems may have their own unique twist.

I don't think you are in serious danger (yet). But again with these complications, I would make sure you can drink, and would insist on a leak test before leaving. Just to make sure everything is working properly. If nothing else, it will soothe your mind, and that lack of stress promotes better healing.

Good luck. You're in my thoughts. Hang in there...

My surgeon didn't do a leak test.  I was offered ice chips in the recovery room.  The swelling should go down.  Have you tried ice chips, maybe just the little drips from the ice can go down.

I had no test for leaks before leaving the hospital.  My surgeon has never had a patient have a leak.  If he doesn't test for leaks I'm sure there is a way to monitor for that without the barium.  I can't imagine passing barium so soon after surgery, that stuff was awful when I had the preop test.

Good luck, be patient.

Got home on Saturday afternoon. I can take in about 2 ounces of liquids an hour, but haven't been able to tolerate any protein yet. Yesterday I got in almost 40 ounces, which took me all day and all night. every sip is painful...non stop. I'm exhausted but have an appointment with the surgeon today. I have to drink all night just to not get too dehydrated, and I have long, huge bouts of nausea. For some reason, the liquids in my sleeve have been randomly rushing up my throat at night when I fall asleep, pouring into my lungs and I wake up choking and sputtering. I'm already sleeping almost completely upright, so I don't know what to do about that. I should get my drain removed today.

My biggest concern is that my sleeve is just too tight. Perhaps I'll need surgery to stretch it out? At this point it gets really scary when I realize they got rid of the rest of my stomach so it isn't as if there is something else they can use to fix the problem. This recovery process doesn't seem to be going very well.

Did anyone else need to be out on some kind of supplemental nutrition or regular IV fluids until their stomach got better?

This is why I suggested the barium test. Not just for leaks. It will also give them info on how fast you drain. I drain liquids at about 1-2 oz in 10-15 minutes (my pylorus is very tight).

Knowing this, I'm careful to stop drinking an hour before I sleep to be on the safe side, and I stop eating 2 hours before. I tend to have light dinners too.

I recall starting out that I had to stop drinking earlier in the day.

I am not a doctor and you should obviously make sure you are comfortable with your progress, but I do recall being very tight and very concerned at the start, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the response. My doctor actually had be go back to the hospital after being home for 2 days. It was taking a full hour to get down one to two ounces, and I just couldn't get enough in my body to function. So, overall I've been in the hospital for a week and a half. They had to put in a PICC line ands put me on TPN (all nutrients through an IV). Just got home today and I'll be on TPN indefinitely. The hope is that with time my stomach will stretch on its own or will make enough room for enough fluids to pass for survival.

If those all fail and a few months go by, I might end up losing my whole stomach. The part that is too tight is so close to the top that it don't leave anything to work with. I'm just glad I am getting some nutrition now, even if it is through an IV mostly.

The good news is that things are starting to loosen up a bit as my surgeon also has me on steroids every day. I'm trying to be optimistic, at let I'm home now even if I need I house nursing twice a day. I'm a bit worrie about how this ll play out when I'm due to return to work. In the meantime ill just have to take things one day at a time.

Thoughts are with you. It does loosen after time. Hopefully they can get you straight. There is a stretching procedure for a stricture--perhaps they can apply this after you are healed and make it better.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. :(

Keep us updated...

Very sorry to hear you are having these problems. Sure hope you get better soon!

I am so sorry and I know this is not what you expected. Please stay in touch and keep us posted. As excited as we all are to have the surgery , we all know there is a real risk involved . Blessings

I didnt have a barium test, either. I was told they check for leaks at the end of the surgical process. I went to a center for excellence, so there are apparently different procedures for different practices - just like everything else.

I had to have Levsin drops to relax my throat or nothing would pass through. The barium stuck, the stood my upright, I burped like a gurgling toilet and it flowed right through. Every sip is like that for me. I can do warm much better than cold and actually got in 30 owwwnces today. Three days post op here.

I'm still at home and still on TPN, but my stomach is very slowly opening up ... It seems to have stopped opening up further at this point, but it may be manageable as long as I stay on top of it. Once I can regularly get in 50 grams of protein and ounces of liquid he said he would approve taking me off TPN and removing the PICC.

I've said a prayer for you! This is so nuts what you are going through! I know we heal @ different rates but I've had my RNY on the 9th of may, & i can get down 16 oz in a half-Hour. My, NUT said that's fine as long as I sip & not gulp.

THE CONTRAST IS STAGGERING!

I am upset this happened to you. Could any of your meds have a side effect contributing to the swelling?

How are you doing now?

I had to stay four days in the hospital, because I couldn't drink anything.  I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else, because I was afraid something was wrong.  They kept me on an IV and the kept assuring me that I was doing fine, and that everybody reacts to surgery differently.  Just keep doing what the doctors and nurses say, and you'll pull through.  I keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.  By the way, it seemed like on day five, I was just fine and had no problem taking a few sips at a time.  I haven't experienced any other problems since.  Hang in there, and remember, we're all praying for you.

I had to stay four days in the hospital, because I couldn't drink anything.  I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else, because I was afraid something was wrong.  They kept me on an IV and the kept assuring me that I was doing fine, and that everybody reacts to surgery differently.  Just keep doing what the doctors and nurses say, and you'll pull through.  I keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.  By the way, it seemed like on day five, I was just fine and had no problem taking a few sips at a time.  I haven't experienced any other problems since.  Hang in there, and remember, we're all praying for you.

I just realized this was an older posts that I replied to, I thought it was new.  I hope you are doing better now.  

Hi silvertarus, I know it was a while since your surgey but I am having similar issues. I spent 8 weeks in hospital on TPN but now home and finding I have pain at the top of my stomach on eating and drinking. It's like thinks are just too tight. I've get fairly nauseated too. Had diarrhea when on shakes so stopped that and been given codeine to slow my bowel down.

Just rally interested how you are now.

I swallowed the yucky stuff and it took two + hours to show as moving as I was very swollen ( they said 20 minutes). Make sure they check before you leave :) My lower body went into total shut down due to the drugs they had given me.... Which had not agreed with my body. Just make sure they check. You need peace of mind after such a big op to!