LeleeLove

Food Police!

Well I would like to say that im feeling much better since my last post. The weight is just melting off and im not feeling so "head hungry". Lol. I went to my follow up with my Doc. yesterday and I wanted to share. I explained to my Doctor that I had some concerns about some of the things i'd read on this forum and others. I told him i had no idea that there were so many foods that were restricted or on the "never again" list. I asked him why I wasnt told about this and he simply explained that he does not give his patients a "No No" list and that i shouldnt feed into everything that I read since different doctors and nutritionists have different instructions for their patients. What im told is if i can tolerate it, i can eat it. Eat my protein first, continue to make healthy choices i.e(Lowfat italian over Ranch, whole wheat over white, brown rice, etc) And if im having a moment, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. I almost didnt want to post here anymore after reading alot of the comments made by certain "food police". Reading the things people say in some of these topics almost feels judgmental sometimes. I just feel that people can give their opinions without making someone else feel bad for asking a question or wondering if they can eat something later down the road. That doesn't suggest that a person is weak willed, cheating or planning to cheat on their diet, or will be unsuccessful in their journey. I think some people would just like to know if they'll ever be able to eat normally or feel a sense of normalcy again. People should remember that everyone is not on the same "diet plan" before someone is almost scolded or shunned for making certain food choices.

post-33155-0-49370700-1366759455_thumb.j

Edited by LeleeLove

I honestly haven't seen people here being judgmental or scolding? That's too bad if you felt that way. I have found this to be such a supportive and encouraging environment.

However, calling people "food police" seems kind of snarky and judgmental to me? Often people share what works for them and try to help others. Some want to be mor "strict" and restrict certain foods or food groups to ensure god results and long-term success. Simple as that.

I wish you lots of luck and congrats on your success so far!

You're down 42 lbs..you must be doing something right, just keep doing what you're doing it's working...

If it's working, then it's working. I hope I wasn't one of the food police... :)

But it's a really great opportunity to try lots of things. You might find new things in addition to old ones. I found out I love cranberries, and I now ADORE liver and onions. It's neat, because my palate is so well cleansed now that I'm tasting things I never tasted in foods before.

In addition, I found things I used to love? Now I hate. I can't stand white bread. It tastes like cake. I don't like Mac & cheese. Hate spaghetti. Don't like pancakes anymore.

But I don't think there's anything I wouldn't taste. I'm surprised sometimes at how my tastebuds have changed so much.

Where was I?

Oh. Yes. I hope I wasn't a food policer. And I hope you stick around. You seem like a sweet person. :)

Gaviv, I'm aware that there are some really supportive people here and some of them offered lots of encouragement in my last post. And saying that YOU have never experienced what I described is not to say that myself or others havent. People view things differently, maybe you dont take offense to something that may have been offensive to someone else, everyone is different. I understand that some people are more "strict" or simply eat differently than others and there is nothing wrong with that, i just feel that people should be mindful to not make others feel like they're doing something wrong just because they may not be doing it the same way You are. Thats all, people are entitled to their opinions but a sense of "netiquette" should be maintained. 

Gaviv, I'm aware that there are some really supportive people here and some of them offered lots of encouragement in my last post. And saying that YOU have never experienced what I described is not to say that myself or others havent. People view things differently, maybe you dont take offense to something that may have been offensive to someone else, everyone is different. I understand that some people are more "strict" or simply eat differently than others and there is nothing wrong with that, i just feel that people should be mindful to not make others feel like they're doing something wrong just because they may not be doing it the same way You are. Thats all, people are entitled to their opinions but a sense of "netiquette" should be maintained. 

You are absolutely correct -we all experience this journey differently. And I didn't mean to say just because I didn't experience what you did, that it wasn't valid. My point was not o make broad judgements based on a single experience.

It's very hard to infer tone on a message board, I just try to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the intent was to be helpful. I'm certainly not looking for a debate, just expressing MY opinion.

And i apologize to anyone who's offended by the term "Food Police" . Its actually a term I picked up reading in several forums that best fit what i was trying to decribe. I wasnt trying to be snarky or judgmental.

You are absolutely correct -we all experience this journey differently. And I didn't mean to say just because I didn't experience what you did, that it wasn't valid. My point was not o make broad judgements based on a single experience.

It's very hard to infer tone on a message board, I just try to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the intent was to be helpful. I'm certainly not looking for a debate, just expressing MY opinion.

It's super hard to pick up tone from black and white. I'm guilty of letting my feelings be hurt too easily, way too often.

Anyway, I don't think you should be worried about not getting to taste things ever again, OP. obviously you have to heal first, and your quantities will never be what they were (we nibble, we no longer gorge), but there's no reason you can't have special treats now and again. Once a week, perhaps. Again, after healed. :)

Glad you're feeling better.

Awww... we don't mean to be mean. For most of us, the pouch will dictate what we can and cannot do. There are certain foods that should be last on the list, especially at first, just to get enough protein in. And for some who are super sensitive to sugars, eating sugar may never be an option again. All I can do here is use myself as an example. I discovered a few days ago that I can actually eat some sugar with no problem. I don't ever want to go back to the way I ate before, but another thing that is happening is that I am beginning to feel what must be hunger... a little pain in the pouch that won't go away till I eat. Take what you read with a bit of wisdom... and a grain of salt. We generally talk about ourselves since that's what we know best. I was never told never as far as food goes, but I was told never as far as the way I ate before - the amounts, the kinds of food, etc.

Glad to see you worked it out with your team, and you are feeling better now. Keep up the good work, and never take offense at stuff you read. Let it go, and let it pass. :)

I am not really getting any real specifics except full liquids for 10 days, no sugar if at all possible (and be willing to pay for it), no caffeine, no carbonated, proteins first, and a schedule for when I am on liquids, when I am on puree, when I am on regular food. How to chew it, who much I can eat as it changes over time, but not specific foods. Plenty of example foods.

So I am working with my RD during my last 5 sessions to define some more specific foods because I want a good variety. Though I could eat off Eggface's daily blog quite easily if I get out a week or two in advance and stock my pantry and fridge for it.

And you are right, it is almost impossible to determine in a forum post, or a text message, or an email, what the person who sent it is feeling, or how they meant the message to come across. In person, if someone misunderstands your intent, you can fix it right then and there. Not in print. Plus, some people do in fact tend to get meaner when they can hide behind print.

Though some are just plain mean. Or miserable. Or in pain. Or upset. You just can't tell online, even over Vent or other voice chat. Video chat is pretty good, I guess. Face and body language are more than 50% of any message.

I write in a West Point, strict, conservative, matter of fact manner. That style says absolutely nothing about the emotions of the writer.

Lelee; I totally know what you mean when you say there are some people here with, for lack of better words, with strong opinions. Sometimes I read the posts and shake my head at how harsh people can share their opinions. I believe at the end of the day they and all who respond have their hearts in the right place, but don't consider that the delivery sometimes comes across as judgmental. No one has been harsh with me- yet, but it still bothers me to see sledgehammer deliveries, especially when it starts off with " well I've never done it but here's my two cents."

Edited by mommyradd

I know I may sound strict because I'm also talking to myself. I need to be my own "food police". Everyone has their own opinions and I think because we are all just real, normal people, everything you read on here needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes , listen to YOUR doctor and make your own decisions regardless of what we weirdos on a forum say. :P

You have to do what's best for YOU!

There are indeed some people on this forum that will jump down your throat if you even mention that you ate something sweet or had a carby meal.  Those people have their own issues that they had the surgery to deal with and they use us as mirrors for themselves.  They need to look in the mirror at themselves and let others do the same.

As for me, I was perpetually hungry. My ghrelen hormone was off the charts and I just couldn't stop eating.  I ate healthy, but I ate a LOT.  So for ME, the surgery did it's job by limiting my intake down to a way more reasonable amount along with getting rid of the ghrelen that made me so hungry.  I don't plan to abuse that, I don't plan to try to start stuffing myself again.  I'm not hungry most of the time, anyway these days.   So my portions are different than the food police's.  I eat what I want and eat small portions of it and am satisfied. Protein first, then veg and if desired, some carbs.  I don't dump the way that some do on here. No vomiting or diarrhea, but if I ingest too much carb or sugar I get a bit shaky and overheated a few hours afterward.  I'm like Pavlov's dog and I learn as I go what causes the mild dumping.  It's uncomfortable and I'd rather it not happen so it serves it's purpose.  I ate at Cracker Barrel last night for a birthday dinner.  I had beef stew, corn and yes... dumplings.  I'm only human.  Most of the dumplings came home with me and I held them tightly to my chest. My preciousssssssss.   They'll probably stay in the fridge until they turn green because I can't bear to part with them but actually don't have much of a taste for them anymore.  Go figure.  They taste like glue.

But anyway... back to your issue (despite what I think, it's really not all about ME! - huh! - who knew?)  Do what you are comfortable doing.  Your tastes may change and it won't be a bad thing.  Try things one at a time and see what you can tolerate and what you can't.  It's possible that pancakes may sit in your pouch like a stone and you might decide you don't really care for them anymore.

But the biggest thing to remember is that people DO fail with this surgery.  It's a tool after all, not a quick fix, and we need to strive to remember that.  Especially those of us that CAN eat whatever we want to.  Eating badly after WLS is a slippery slope and is the reason there are failures.  It all depends on what made you fat in the first place, truth be told.  Search your heart and figure that one out and go from there.   You are very early out in your process, so take this coming year to change your eating habits and enjoy the rapid weight loss "honeymoon" period.  It will slow down at some point and if you haven't lost the majority of it in the first year or so, it will take a while to lose the rest.  A year isn't so bad in the grand scheme of life when things are changing so quickly and wonderfully!

Big hugs to you, and I hope for you mucho success!

PS.  I'm totally jealous that you are 5'9"  tall.   

Well Im glad im not the only one who noticed how harsh some people deliver their message or advice (Mommyrad) . . . Thank you all for offering your truth and maybe some comments are harmless but it doesnt always come across that way. I will be following my Dr's instruction strictly. Im only human but my goal is to stick to the plan and no "treats" unless I reach my goal. And i do enjoy being a slightly tall woman (Happy-camper), Now i want to enjoy being a slim woman, Lol!

just wanted to jump in and say yes i have seen to where some people may come off harsh or sound crititcal. I just tell myself it may just be how im reading it because we are just reading words. Other times i feel like they may just be trying to prevent you from making a mistake they made . I have a hard time following along with some things because it flat out does not pertain to me most people on here have a form of gastic bypass I have a labband so my rules and restrictions are different. I was given a no no list i have had some things on that list without side effects and i have had things on my go ahead list with bad side effects so it really is individual about what you can and cannot eat. Some of it is not should i eat this it is litterly your pouch will not let you if eat this  proceed with caution. and remember there are many different surgerys out there so people are told different things.

if your happy and losing weight thats all that matters. This is a lifestyle that has to be learned and be able to comment to for the rest of your life it is not a short term procedure. if you can go without sweet and treats thats great our body really does not need them. If you decide to have a piece of cake dont feel guilty . If i have a couple cookies we'll 2 cookies is a whole lot better then the 10 i would have ate before surgery.  

keep up the good work !

I use the term "Food Police" or similar in my work- occasionally. I work in Adult Diabetes and like to prepare my patients newly diagnosed with Type 1 that well meaning, seemingly helpful but irritating comments are bound to happen and it's helpful for them to think about how to handle them- best to be prepared.... we teach them they can eat what they like but dose insulin accordingly- if weight control is an issue then we keep that in mind as well.. 

Usually gets a smile when I say it- 

PS this is NOT meant as a comment on what is said in TT - just an example-