Jay W

Just got real.....

Surgery just got scheduled for May 6!

Aetna was awesome to me!

I'm happy for you, Jay.  There's nothing like getting a date to make you start really getting your ducks in a row!  Best of luck!

Congratulations, Jay!!! That's awesome!!!

Congrats!  I have Tricare Standard, and they were great.  There was never one delay, and I could have scheduled the surgery for 2 weeks after my first visit with my doctor, though I didn't.  Mine is May 1st, Wednesday!  Eek!

Congrats to you Jay & mswansome! I'll be joining you on the 9th. :-)

Congrats to you also 3K99Mommy!  :)

May 13 for me. I got the surgery packet last night - it is getting very real and frankly, a little frightening :).

I agree Elaine M.  I've had 8 surgeries and never once been scared before surgery.  I'm terrified this time for some reason.  It will all be fine,but I'm ready for it to be over with so I can start my new life.

I forgot to update this, my surgery was moved to May 2, which happens to be tomorrow.

I have been on liquids since Sunday. Not that bad. I have fasted before, for spiritual reasons. The biggest difference is that there is no end date now. There is, but not like before. In the past I would fast and then go crazy. I knew that day was coming so it made it a little easier.

Not this time. I feels odd that I will be fasting for quite some time now. I keep telling myself that I will eventually be able to eat and that my urges and cravings will discipate after the surgery, but it is hard to wrap my mind around it.

Starting to get a little bit of anxiety, but I have a great support system. I got this!

So.. how did it go? Keeping you in prayers!

May 1 here, too. It's getting very close now!

Dilligaf, how'd your surgery go?  Feel free to message me. 

Dilligaf, how'd your surgery go?  Feel free to message me. 

My heart went out of rhythm when they first put me under, but after the anaesthetist phoned my cardiologist they decided to go ahead since it had returned to sinus rhythm.

I'm much more mobile now, but still can't sleep in my bed because I can't get up from a lying down position without help and don't want to be waking up my poor long-suffering but well-insured husband all the time!

My surgeon is particularly impressed with my ability to bruise ... Says he's never seen such a technicolor tummy! And I'm covered in bruises on my arms, too, from the IV lines and blood tests.

Food-wise, I'm not getting in anywhere near the suggested diet for the first two weeks so have been concentrating on water and the kiwi fruit concentrate my surgeon recommends for getting things moving!

The surgery went excellent. Recovery went well also. Best move I made was renting a big recliner for a month. Slept in it for almost 2 weeks and did great. Started sleeping in my own bed last Thursday night.

Last Friday was the beginning of the two weeks of soft foods. It is very odd not having hunger or any real cravings. I did start to crave chewing. So now that I can do that I am fine. I pretty much eat eggs, refried beans, mashed potatoes, green beans, cheese, and protein shakes. I realize that to consume the protein and liquids needed, I must stay on a regiment. Not drinking for 30 minutes before, during, or 30 minutes after eating really inhibits getting in 64-70 ounces of liquids even counting the protein shakes. I sip constantly.

I find that there really is no more pain or discomfort, but due to the lack of calories, I get tired easy. Not sure how people go back to work after 2 weeks, even in a sedentary work environment. Glad I get more than 2 weeks off. 

I have lost 37 pounds in two weeks though. Good start!

Awesome job on the weight loss!  So glad everything has gone well for you - sounds like you've really gotten off to a great start.

The energy level will get better as you can take in more calories and protein, enjoy your time off and get some rest!

The surgery went excellent. Recovery went well also. Best move I made was renting a big recliner for a month. Slept in it for almost 2 weeks and did great. Started sleeping in my own bed last Thursday night.

Last Friday was the beginning of the two weeks of soft foods. It is very odd not having hunger or any real cravings. I did start to crave chewing. So now that I can do that I am fine. I pretty much eat eggs, refried beans, mashed potatoes, green beans, cheese, and protein shakes. I realize that to consume the protein and liquids needed, I must stay on a regiment. Not drinking for 30 minutes before, during, or 30 minutes after eating really inhibits getting in 64-70 ounces of liquids even counting the protein shakes. I sip constantly.

I find that there really is no more pain or discomfort, but due to the lack of calories, I get tired easy. Not sure how people go back to work after 2 weeks, even in a sedentary work environment. Glad I get more than 2 weeks off. 

I have lost 37 pounds in two weeks though. Good start!

That's awesome!  I think I'm also around the 30 lb mark.  I haven't weighed in over a week though.  I can definitely tell I'm losing inches.  I'm still on thick liquids, not soft foods, so you're ahead of me.  I haven't been told yet not to drink when I "eat" since I'm just on liquids and soup.  That's gonna be hard for me. 

I'm also very weak.  I find myself sitting around a LOT more than I used to.  When I get up, I get dizzy and have to sit back down.  I hope this gets better fast.  Of course, we're only 2 weeks out.  Great job by the way!

I am 3 weeks out now (April 30th was my surgery) and I am still very tired.  I don't get a lot of restful sleep yet because I am still in a fair amount of pain.  I tried going back to work twice, with today being the last attempt.  It is difficult at best, but I am progressing.  It takes time!  We will get there!