mommybear77

six month pre-approval diet.

Hi, new to the forum!  I finally decided that now is the time to look into having a lap band like my doctor suggested.  I am 5'2 and 240 lbs.  I called my insurance company and they said that I need to go on a 6 month diet before I can apply or be approved, and that I need to have a BMI of at least 35.  The problem is if I go on this diet and lose 2 lbs a week I will be below the minimum BMI (which I'm sure they want) to get the band.

My question is am I expected to lose a specific amount on this diet?  Also is the diet just something my primary care can do?  Thanks!

Welcome!!! My pre-op diet was only 3 months and I did it through my surgeon's office.  My surgeon did not tie a goal to the period and I did not lose very much.  It might just be that you have to get weighed once a month and attend a nutrition class. My first visit to the surgeon's office actually counted as my first diet visit - some insurances allow that, others do not.  

don't worry, if it were that easy, there would be NO WEIGHT LOSS surgery, if you could have done it be yourself, you would have.  the point is for you to demonstrate that despite all interventions,  your doctor feels that surgery is your best option.  don't worry

i had to do 6 month of weigh in's i think in 6 months i lost 6 lb i did not diet wasent told i had to just go for a weigh in. I thought they just wanted a record to show i was overweight for a long period of time documented

I did my medically supervised diet with my regular doctor and that was acceptable, but every hospital/insurance is different.

Just remember though you must weigh in every month.  Most insurances will make you start the entire 6 mo process over again if you miss 1 appt of weight in that month.  Just be diligent about it.  You normally can go through your family physician.  Insurances don't care about where you are having it done (family physician or surgeon) as long as it is documented.  It might be best to have your family physician do it since he was the one who has watched your weight over the years and has talked to you about it.  Good luck!!!

I submitted weight watchers records, so I did not have to wait another 6 months to get started with my surgeon.

I'm just starting the medically supervised weight loss as well and am doing it through my primary care.  I am just doing the monthly weigh in.  My aunt had gastric bypass and after the pre-op diet she was below the bmi of 40, they still did the surgery because of her history.

With that said, I plan to really focus this six months and give it my all.  If I can avoid having surgery then to me that's worth it.  Everything the doctors tell me is that this is simply a tool, but you really have to get things right in the head.  If I lose it and gain it back (which is so common for me) then I wont have to do the 6 months again and can have the surgery.