Renee138

Surgery, new job, what do I do

Hi, I will be having surgery next week, gastric bi-pass and had a job interview and they are checking my references. They called me yesterday and told me they are waiting back from one more reference, in the mean time when do I tell them about the surgery as I am anticipating a four week recovery to start my new cna job so lifting is required. I don't know what to do.... Stressing.

You might not have to tell them, have your doc just write an excuse for lifting for a few weeks. They may allow you to delay your start date , or there might be a few days or a week for orientation. You should, baring complications, to go back to work within a week or two.

Good luck on both!

I would be upfront about having surgery scheduled (perhaps not what kind) and discuss it with them if you get the offer.  I would hate for you to push your limits too quickly and hurt yourself.  Maybe they will let you postpone your start date.  Good luck!

Only mention it after you've gotten the offer and have a surgery date.  I had a similar issue in that I had started the approval process when I interviewed for my current job.  I ended up being offered the job and less than a month into my new employment I heard that I was approved for surgery.  I talked to my supervisor at that point and explained why I would need to take 2 weeks off  and my company was very good about it, although I had to take Non-FLMA leave.  They asked that I wait until after the 90-day probationary period which was understandable, but they have been really nice about the whole thing.

You just give them an availabilty date (which you discuss with your surgeon) and no one else has to know.   Health information is not something an employer can ask you about, nor do you have to explain to them.    If it interferes with your job, that is different.  But at this time,  get an offer and tell them when you can come to work.  They may not ask anything else.  

Thanks for responding I was wondering if anyone knew if baby food prunes is a good laxative after surgery, the paperwork they gave me stated duckolax and enemas?

You should tell them when you are able to start, and I certainly wouldn't tell them specifically what's being done. You absolutely need to let them know that before you take the job. No company is required to allow a new employee time off even if it's for medical purposes. If your not up front with time off needed you'll be wasting everyones time.

Its also one way to find out early on if they are a good employer.  A good employer will allow time off for your surgery (they'll be getting a healthier emloyee in the bargain).  

You just give them an availabilty date (which you discuss with your surgeon) and no one else has to know.   Health information is not something an employer can ask you about, nor do you have to explain to them.    If it interferes with your job, that is different.  But at this time,  get an offer and tell them when you can come to work.  They may not ask anything else.  

This is very true... thanks for posting it.

Thanks for responding I was wondering if anyone knew if baby food prunes is a good laxative after surgery, the paperwork they gave me stated duckolax and enemas?

Sugar content on prunes too high more than likely. Watch that like crazy after surgery. Otherwise, fruits in any form may cause very painful gas. Best to do as recommended, if possible, at least for a time.

Welcome to TT.I hope you get the job:)

Good point about the prunes I will have to ask more about the fruits to learn more