Sign in to follow this  
Mj Woodroof

Liquid Carafate vs Pills $$

Last week when I had an EGD to correct a stricture, the doctor gave me a prescription for carafate in pill form.  The pills were gargantuan and even broke in half would stick in my throat.  So I called and asked for a liquid form. 

I guess the difference is there is a generic for the pill form of carafate but not for the liquid.  As a result, instead of spending $10 for an insurance copay, my cost was $56.14 (price before insurance $259.99)

Amazing what the difference there is in cost between generics and name brands.

In any event, its worth it to me not to have to choke down  a pill that gags me every time, or try to crush it and mix with something.

This will make the difference between me taking the medications and NOT. (yes I know that the mature thing would be to take it no matter what - but I never said I was mature)

Wow, that's quite a difference!  But, I'm glad it was available to you since the pills were so difficult.

It IS a huge difference in price. But I also found there was a HUGE difference in effectiveness. The liquid carafate soothed my ulcer immediately... soooo worth the cash!

Edited by BugdocMom

Have you tried crushing them?  You can get a pill crusher from places like Walmart or Walgreens.  

We used to give a pink pill form in the hospital and would dissolve it in a medicine cup of water.  It would just instantly dissolve, and you could make a slurry out of it and drink it down.  I haven't seen the pink pills for a while and the white ones dont dissolve.  Glad you were able to get the liquid form.  So much easier and coats everything going down.

I bought a pill crusher at Walgreens and tried mixing it with water - all it did was float around on top of the water and make a clumpy mess.  To be honest, I know myself well enough that I knew I wouldnt mess with it and I'd end up not taking the meds.

I griped about the price, but luckily I can afford it right now.  Amazing how much more money I have to spend on stuff for WLS when I am not eating out constantly.

3 hours ago, Marilyn Hoover said:

Where can I buy Carafate in liquid form

According to drugs.com., Carafate (sucralfate) is a prescriptive medication so can't be bought over the counter.   https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/can-you-buy-something-like-carafate-over-the-163876/

Have you tried OTC liquids like Gaviscon Extra Strength Cherry Liquid Antacid for Fast-Acting Heartburn Relief?