Dees

Wendy's chili: best food on the planet.

Could eat this morning, noon, and night. I think it was Farmington that turned me on to this stuff.

Everything but the beans goes down smooth, and I love the little bit of a kick (so tired of bland stuff!)

Only trouble is the sodium content, so I try to keep it to twice a week. But MAN, so tasty. :)

Anyone else?

I make my own chili; and I eat it quite often.

Wendy's chili is the BEST for a quick meal - wish the sodium content was lower though. I do make my own chili but I will admit I like theirs better.... lol

Can't wait until March 25th... that is when I start Phase II of Soft foods and yes, you guessed it, Wendy's Chili is on the approved list!!!  I have always LOVED Wendy's chili so I am super duper excited to be able to eat this.  Thanks for the caution on the sodium.  Will definitely watch that and will definitely try to increase fluid consumption on the days i indulge.  :) 

Definitely watch out for the beans -- I got some one night that must have been on the bottom of the pot and it had all these bean husks....  Lets just say watch out for the beans....

I make my own chili without beans -- basically 2# of lean beef, browned, a chopped onion, 2 cans of diced tomatoes, a small can of tomato sauce, and enough water to make it the right consistency.    I use 6 gun chili mix.

Yus. Best ever. I'm supposed to be on puréed foods, so I measure out half the bowl, flick all the beans out, and use my handy dandy stick blender, and voila! Puréed chili, no big chunks, yum yum taste. Doc says I can have any tender meats I want as long as when it hits my stomach its mush.

Yayyyyyyyyy Wendy's. if there was a restaurant I could nominate as the official Bariatric hangout, it would be Wendy's. :)

Edit: tell them you want a lot of juice. They are usually happy to oblige. :)))

Edited by RosieDee

I have never had their chili I only like their nuggets and frosty but I might have to try the chili. Do you eat it by its self? ( not a big chili eater)

Yup. All by itself. This is pretty much the only thing I will eat that isn't home made (my husband is a chef and I don't do canned--Wendy's chili is semi-home made though and pretty okay if you need a quick meal out. :)

only problem is that the beans have a lot of the protein.  Try to slowly include them.  Wendy's chili has always been a go-to food for me.  Fast food wise its hard to beat, but the Mickey-D's grilled chicken snack wrap isn't too bad either.

LOVE Wendy's chili! The small chili is the perfect size for a meal! It's so tasty and filling! :D

I'm going to jump on with the rest of you, Wendy's chill is a great on the go food. I also love the Smoothie King Gladiator it has 1gram of carbohydrates and 45 grams of protein per serving....

So if you made your own chili without beans (just meat and sauce) how would that work?

I know refried beans work ok, some people swear by them. :)

Oh I like the beans, I LOVE beans, I'm just not supposed to be eating them yet according to my diet plan.  xD   So I have to take them out.

I LOOOOOOVE beans though. As soon as I can eat them, I'll be doing so.  I absolutely love soup and all kinds of lentils.  I'll actually have to be careful because of the carb contents in beans... have to keep my portion sizes down!  LOL.

Hubby makes -awesome- chili.  He has made it since I was on purees, and he was really great about using ground turkey for mine, and no beans, then a stick blender to make a kind of mole.  Didn't make it too hot for me either (he's been careful with that since learning I can't drink and eat at the same time).  

I hadn't thought about the snack wrap, Farmington.  We should make a big directory of bariatric friendly choices from "on the go" or fast food places.  Now, not that we should be eating out like that too often, but I'm a really firm believer in having a plan.  I have two teenagers, and I work full time over an hour away from where I live (so I can't just go home for lunch--if I forget to pack it, I'm screwed), and so sometimes I can't avoid those places.  Good to have a plan, know what you can get off the menu and how to quickly adapt if you need to make a quick choice, I think!

On the go Delish choice is the French onion soup from Applebee's (HOLD THE BREAD). Is absolutely relish as well as filling even past the 1st 2-3weeks. The beauty of Appebees is ** CURBSIDE SERVICE **. Better than a drive thru !!!!!!!!

I was just sleeved on March 20th and after a couple days of a completely heinous stomach and some vomiting I ate some chicken noodle soup. I have kept that down and it seems to help my nausea. Is it ok to eat some Wendy's chili even though I can't eat soft foods until Wed? I was craving some bad today.

Just drink the broth. Avoid the meat and beans. You can have broth, right? Gives your palate something different without breaking guidelines. ;)

If you're super frugal, put the solid parts into a ramiken for a couple days until you can eat puréed foods too.

I agree chili can be one of the best quick meals due a relatively low calorie count and high protein. The down fall of Wendy's chili is that the calories are not that low (410 calories for a small) is that it's really high in sodium (1770mg, again for a small or just about you entire recommended daily intake). Now I am not saying you can't have it in a pinch, but you wouldn't want to eat it daily, let alone more than once a day.

Make your own chili so you can control the fresh ingredients and not have it come out of a bag that has been sitting on a shelf for months!

Making your own is always preferable. My issue is that my husband and I both work more than an hour away from where we live, we have two teenage children that need attention and school help at night, we now take time to exercise at night, and my job is incredibly demanding. I have trouble making food for lunch every night.

Wendy's has higher sodium, yes. But if you are only eating half of a small (or just drinking the broth), you are not consuming 400 calories. Ultimately, it is a personal decision, what you want to do. You could just as easily heat up a spicey V8 I guess. I love Wendy's chili though, and indulge once or twice a week (if twice, it's because I'm reheating the leftovers from the first time I went--I can't eat a whiole small bowl at once).

Good luck. And I am still thinking about a sleeve-friendly list to post from various fast good restaurants. We do the best we can to always home make our foods, but life has a funny way messing up the best of intentions. I think it's good to have a game plan in case something goes awry... Plan B of sorts.

I am going to give this a try pretty soon, while it doesn't matter if I like it or not. Heh.

The calories are deceptive, the recipe is for 6 servings but for us it would be 12 or something? And I would probably boost it with Syntrax Medical Whey after all the heating/cooking is done.

Made a bit milder (easy to do), pureed, and put into ice cube trays and frozen, it could be defrosted one cube at a time and probably work great.

chili_lowfat_zpsd4e3c786.jpg

Edited by JRH

Something I've noticed with ground turkey - its not all the same -- some of it has as as much fat as everything else.  Be sure you get the low fat version -- otherwise you just end up with as many calories as hamburger.

@esob ---   As to Wendy's chili calories -- I'm confused......  Their web site lists a small as having 210 calories and a large as having 310 calories, with 880 and 1330 grams of sodium, respectively.

http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/nutrition.pdf

Wendy's chili tastes fantastic, but 1/4 of my belly fat is no doubt constructed from Wendy's chili.

I can see how you might be able to have a small cup over several meals post-op + a month or two, maybe twice a month, but anymore and what's the purpose of getting WLS?

MJ, you are right, but I got that figured out, and I might even try it with venison, which is very low fat for certain of the cuts.

JRH:  Well, everything in moderation.  If you consume one small bowl of Wendy's chili over two or three meals, and two or three days, it's not going to interfere with your diet.   :)  You will NOT be able to get a full small bowl down in one sitting post-op, even when you've progressed to puree or soft foods, so that fear of "o-god i'm gonna eat too much" is invalid at that point.

Maybe at 8 or 9 months out, you might manage one small bowl.  Maybe.  And when you're full, buddy, you're FULL.  It HURTS when I'm too full... it's a feeling I DO NOT like, and it's conditioning me very quickly to ONLY put judicious portions out for myself and not pick and nibble.  

Really, I find it's difficult to get enough calories in, rather than the other way around, though your mileage may vary.  I'm struggling to get 600 calories a day in, and I find I stall if I get less than 500, so that's pretty important for me.  

So now, with that said, when I'm feeling like a bowl of Wendy's chili (maybe once or twice a week, at work), I go get it, and I have my little nosh (it's a meal), and then I put the rest in the refrigerator at work.   :)   I find that I still need to enjoy foods, still need to treat myself once in a while.  Otherwise, I find I am more likely to put things into my mouth that I should not (no puns, please... dirty minded old men :P ), like bread or worse, and then I'm in pain.  I find myself thinking, "Shoulda just gotten that little semi-healthy craving filled and been done with it... wouldn't be going through this right now." I have to trick myself into thinking I'm not being deprived.  Otherwise, I do stupid things.  lol

And that's the real crux of the matter, right?  Not feeling deprived?  All your coworkers go out to lunch.  One person is going to get Wendy's for 10 of them.  They ask you, "Ooh... uh... do you want anything?"  And you say NO, I'M OKAY, I DON'T WANT ANYTHING--well, it only flies so many times before you start feeling bad about yourself, questioning yourself, and then putting bad things in your stomach.  I don't want to cave to social and peer pressure, but I know myself too, and if I start feeling like I'm deprived, man, I'm not going to go far, I'm telling you.

Edit:  Good chili recipe... what's the sodium in that one?  Also, want my husband's receipe?  He makes a BALLIN' low sodium chili with turkey burger substitute.  I'll try to pry it out of him if you care to have it.  :)

Edited by RosieDee

I guess....

But after a year of gleaning all the knowledge I can from Eggface and my 4 fav WLS cookbooks, I know for a fact I will be eating tastier things than ever just much less of it.

My little Chinese wife taught me to be a cook. Might as well honor her memory finally.

(•͡_ •͡

Edited by JRH

OMG stupid "smartphone" auto correct

Fag = fav

Okay. :)  I'll see if I can get it out of him today.

I do pretty okay on my cals, even eating Wendy's chilil twice a week. I can only count one time post-op, PERIOD, when I got more than 600 calories in, and that was St. Patrick's day, when I had pureed corned beef (which was ridiculously salty and high calorie, but I wanted some and had some).  I had the equivalent of one small slice and ended up at 700 calories for the entire day.

Most of the time, I come in at just over 500 and I feel like I'm stuffed and ate all day long.  Figure my chili is way better than eating stuff high in fat with tons of calories... which is just about any processed food, like processed cheese, peanut butter (OH MY GOD peanut butter is ridiculous), etc.  I could eat those to get the cals in, but they come with such a high fat / sugar content, I just know it would make my tummy hurt.   :(

Edited by Dees