JennyBee

BMI too low?

Hi everyone, first post here. My doctor referred me to the bariatric program at Kaiser Fremont (CA), but my BMI is probably 38-39, not 40. No diabetes or heart problems. Do you think I'll be rejected?

Thanks, I really enjoy reading about all of your experiences.

Hi,

Welcome. Most insurance companies require your BMI to be at least 40 without comorbidities (diabeties, sleep apnea, etc) and 35 if you have comorbidities. At least I've never heard about any that have been approved under 40 without other issues.

If you don't have any other health issues (except your weight), your BMI would need to be at least 40 on the initial weigh-in at the bariatric center. Most insurace companies approve based on that initial weight, so be mindful of that. It would be a shame to miss out just because of a few pounds.

Good luck!

It would be insane to have to gain weight to qualify. I put myself on the pre-op diet and have lost 6 pounds that I would rather not regain. Ugh. Guess I'll have to wait and see. How do they diagnose sleep apnea? Maybe I have that!

Based on what my sleep doctor said, most people with above 30 have sleep apnea to some degree.  You will need to get a doctor to order a sleep study for you.  Once that is completed, they will be able to tell.

Good luck!

You do an overnight sleep study to diagnose apnea. If you snore, you're more likely to have it. My husband has it, but I didn't .