Corn on the Cob.

khinojos

My NUT told me to avoid corn. Lots of people have trouble digesting it... Even non-GBSers. I haven't tried any since surgery. I'd say to try a little to see how you do with it, just like any food that you re-introduce following surgery. Any butter may not agree with you as well, especially if you only recently had surgery. I have used the spray-type artificial "butter" in the past. Watch salt content too, of course.

I love corn, but I can't eat it. The membraine of the corn lumps up and I end up foaming and spitting it up. Boo, I miss corn...

I can't eat corn very well post-op either, I have an issue with the kernal membranes as well. I miss it though!

Everyone is different, so if it isn't bothering you personally maybe it is o.k.  I have lots of sesame seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, and none have bothered me.  I've heard they do bother other people.  I'm afraid to have corn, but maybe I'll give it a go and just try to chew super well. :)

I was told to wait 4 months. Am hoping I tolerate it as we grow the most awesome sweet corn every summer:) Nothing like going out to pick it fresh, peeling it, and popping it into a pan of water. Dang, hope I can have it!! At least there are always garden fresh tomatoes!

oh cheesehead I am sooo jealous!!  I grew up in IN and we had a garden every year -- tomatoes, carrots, sweet corn, cabbage, lettuce, peppers, etc.  mid/late summer, dinner would be just the veggies from the garden!!  I've tried s garden here in NC but it's just not the same growing in this clay/dirt as opposed to the nutrient rich black soil of the mid west...  ;)

I have had corn in my taco soup and it hasn't bothered me in the least, but it wasn't till 9 months out that I tried it.

I've had a small corn on the cob- no issues and yumm!!! I chewed it well!!

I guess all I can do is give it a try this summer:) I should be over 6 months out. Lose120, nothing like a garden meal! But with having to have protein I'm trying to think how to have a garden only meal!! Maybe 2 protein shakes a day? I canned 200 pints of salsa last year:) We often do fresh mozzarella and tomatoes with a side of corn on the cob! And store bought corn just isn't the same:)

i'm terrified of corn. last i heard its full of sugar and has those membrane encasings (srry don't know the word) that never seem to digest.

Yep i was told to stay away from corn as well. It happens to be one of my fav veggies. I miss it sooo much :(

• 8 years later...

I am a male I'm getting ready to have the bariatric surgery in one week and counting. I'm starting to get excited but also nervous at the same time. This has been four years in the making.i have struggled with my weight off and on since my late thirty's I had lower neck surgery in my early 20's I hurt it in the service I have suffered with my back since then and now I'm 60 I had 2 other surgeries at age 54,and 55, I got real sick and started gaining weight I was at 255lbs and went to 295lbs in 3 months went from a size 38 ALL the way to size 48 at that time I had to close my shop down.ive had 7 congested heart failures my weight went up as high as 330 lbs. I'm 5 ft 9 in packing that kind of weight around was killing me it's like my body frame couldnt handle it I've been absolutely miserable these last four years my biggest problem was retaing fluid I've been struggling with fluid and sodium and carbs ever since. As of right now I weigh 290 but tomorrow I could wake up at 295. It's like I lose 3 and gain 5 but here lately I have been doing pretty good.any advice would be appreciated. I dress in stretching shorts and a tee shirt looking forward to this and hopefully buying new clothes that I actually look good in.through all of this I quit socializing because I hate the way I look I don't date no more pretty much keep to my self. Thanks for reading 

I am about to turn sixty, am male, and once was over 300 pounds (:o) - so I totally understand where you are coming from.  

I have never (even once) regretted having my gastric bypass many years ago as it allowed me to become thin, healthy and much more active. My only regret is that I did not have it sooner.

While it is great after you lose your extra weight to buy clothes off the rack, to walk into a room and not be viewed (and prejudged) as a fat person, to fit into airplane seats with ease, to not get hot and sweaty all the time, and to like how you look in a mirror, the real benefit of losing the weight is to know that you should live so much longer.  

• 2 weeks later...

Not only live longer but live healthier.  Less or no prescription medication. Less over the counter medicine. Less health problems - i.e. no diabetes means no diabetic complications. ... and the list goes on ...