knsmith0

How many Ounces can YOU eat?

I am almost five weeks out of surgery and I am having a difficult time getting down 2 oz in one sitting.  I was just wondering how others are doing.  I am talking about soft foods, not just liquid!

I'm 6 weeks out and can eat between 1/2 - 1 cup of soft food, depending what it is. 

9 months out and can eat a medium sized chicken breast.

thanks for the answers guys!

2.5 weeks out and on puréed foods. I can eat about 2-3 ounces at a time. I must give myself an hour after my last bite and before bedtime or it backs up.

I get frustrated at times and wonder why I can't get more in. My doc wants me at 60g protein and 800 calories a day. I literally have to eat constantly all day to get 50-55 grams in and 600-700 cals.

I think it's supposed to stretch. I really hope so. :(

8 weeks out between 4 to 6 oz depending on the food.

Ack!  Now I am feeling like I can fit too much in!  :wacko:

Don't!  I think someone decided I needed a "petite" version of the sleeve or something... I WANT more in!

I want more in too!!! lol I am five weeks out and still pushing it at 2 ounces.  My doctor says my stomach is super tiny, like the size of a thick milkshake straw :(

Seven weeks out and about 2oz at a time. I am not getting anywhere near the desired amount of protein...maybe only 1/2 of it.

Is there a stretching procedure? I don't want to sabotage myself but seriously, if I can't get more than 700-800 calories in without resorting to empty calorie foods, that's going to become a problem.

Or does the capacity raise as we go along?

Anyone? :)

Is there a stretching procedure? I don't want to sabotage myself but seriously, if I can't get more than 700-800 calories in without resorting to empty calorie foods, that's going to become a problem.

Or does the capacity raise as we go along?

Anyone? :)

It's not so much the capacity but it's more the food you'll be eating the longer you are post-op. The denser the food the longer you will feel full. Turkey and Chicken keep me feeling fuller than Tuna.

No, I don't think you understand.

I can only fill the sleeve so many times per day.

Drinking water consumes a lot of "time real estate" in my stomach... So much, that I can only (currently) fill the sleeve outside of water about 3-4 times a day (4 times is pushing it).

So, if I can only eat 2-3 oz at a time, and I can only fill the sleeve 4 times a day, that means 12 oz of food, or approximately 2 cups of food per day.

Now, keep in mind that MY current limit where I can fill and not be horribly uncomfortable is 3 fills of about 2 oz each time per day, or approximately 6 oz (1 cup) per day.

3 oz of lean chicken is approximately 100 calories and 21g of protein.

6 oz of chicken is about 200 cals and 42g of protein.

Doc wants me to have 60g of protein and (this is the important part) 800 calories a day. Even if I managed to get 12 oz in a day (it's a pipe dream at this point, I'm telling you), that's still not making 800 calories. Even if I'm drinking muscle milk for protein and cals. I can't hit 800!

Im feeling like, my only alternative, if I cannot stuff more in to hit that 60g / 800 cals mark, is to eat higher calorie foods. And that is NOT right. I should be able to eat the right kinds of foods and hit my minimum protein and caloric needs.

You understand what I mean?

A protein popsicle is sugar free, a few good carb, lots of protein.

Blend : small amount of water, unflavored whey powder, sugar free syrup, whatever else you want like Greek yogurt (e.g. Fage 0), agave nectar, berries.

Mix it like a thin protein shake, basically. Pour it in popsicle molds.

Counts as water pretty much doesn't it? Sure won't fill you up too much.

Right, but that still doesn't push the calories up. I can still drink. But I don't want l be on liquids anymore, is the point... I'm just a couple days from soft foods.

I think the sleeve is too small. I'm going to ask them to look at it in a week if this doesn't relent.

I feel exactly like you do RosieDee!

I feel exactly like you do RosieDee!

Well, at least it's not just me.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't -want- to eat half a pizza, or half a bucket of fried chicken.  I don't want to eat unhealthy foods, and I don't want to over eat.  But if I can't get in 60g of protein and 800 calories a day, without resorting to high calorie foods to make up the last few calories... I just think something isn't right about that.  

And believe me, I'm forcing it in.  To the point that I'm so uncomfortable after I eat, that I'm stretching and pushing on my stomach, hoping for a belch or to move something along.  And still:  50-55g of protein a day and 600-700 calories.  I do not regret my decision at all, but I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself or burst something if I push anything else in.  I'm really desperate for relief at this point!

I'm going on 4 months but in the early weeks and first few months I had to rely heavily on protein shakes and I never met my calorie goals. I can still only eat about 4 ounces tops. I don't meet my calorie goals even now, but I try to do cardio to keep my metabolism up and try to avoid stalls. I have hit stalls before and most people on this site that are post-op have. In the first few weeks/months I had to choose between getting my fluids or protein in, in the same day. I could never do both unless all I had were shakes. If you are uncertain about your sleeve size consult your doctor but what you're going through was what I went through and my weight loss has been steady and I've had no complications whatsoever.

Madison-- thank you. I appreciate everyone trying to help, but this is what I needed to hear, that in the first few weeks, it would be hard to meet the goal, but would be easier later on.

I'm still going to talk to my doc at my next appt (2 weeks), but I feel much better with the input from several folks. :) thanks much!

If your only 5 weeks post op your going to see some changes coming pretty quick. When I went to soft foods at 4 weeks I hit a wall and started throwing up after meals. That messed me up and then I couldn't drink my water. I pulled everthing way back and now, 9 weeks post op, I'm only eating 4 oz of soft foods per meal. I can consume a lot more liquids than I can soft foods. I can drink about a cup of liquid in a 15-20 minute period. The liquid will flow through the sleeve very quickly. When I work out I drink almost 24oz of water in an hour!

My weight loss clinic told me not to be concerned with calories the first 3 months. Just focus on hitting 60 grams of protein a day, drink all my water and stay away from foods high in sugar and fat. The hardest of these is drinking all my water but they gave me some leeway to drink 48-64 oz of per day. I can do 48oz but 64oz is another story. I drink one Premier Protein drink a day which has 30 grams of protein and 160 calories. Without the protein drink I wouldn't hit my 60 gram goal. I drink half between lunch and dinner and the other half during the evening. Splitting it up helps me avoid that hungry feeling. (It also only has 7 grams of sugar and you can get it at Costco.) I'm averaging around 800 calories a day with the protein drink. When I reach 12 weeks post op I will start eating solid foods and thats when they want me to monitor my calories. I hope this has been helpful.

Edited by DBHOGAN

Makes me wonder if my sleeve is to big, my Dr said I had a long stomach and he needed two lengths of staples more than what he normally uses, so I guess that gives me a long sleeve From about a week out I could drink 16oz oz water in about 15 minutes no problem, then a few minutes later drink a Premier Protein in 2 or three minutes. Where I feel my restriction is eating semi solid foods I'm full with about 3oz.

I was sleeved on 9/18/12.  I have no issues eating anything, and sometimes I feel I am eating to much.  I can have two pieces of chicken and small side, I mean, I dont eat aywhere what I used to eat prior to surgery...i dunno...

2 oz is about normal. I'm almost 3 years out and I can't eat a cup of food at one sitting. This is good because he doesn't ever want me to eat more than a cup at one sitting.  I still have great restriction and no real hunger.

I am almost five weeks out of surgery and I am having a difficult time getting down 2 oz in one sitting.  I was just wondering how others are doing.  I am talking about soft foods, not just liquid!

I can't imagine why y'all want to fit more in. I wish I couldn't fit as much in as I do!!!  It takes about a year, from what I understand, to heal totally 100% and for your sleeve to completely relax. Whatever that means.  You'll be able to eat more and more....much to my dismay. I still cannot eat a full cup at once, but I wish I was back to where I was eating just 2 or 3 oz at a time and only 550 calories per day. No way could I have gotten in 700 -800 calories per day, when I reached goal, Dr. Davidson's goal, it was just a few days shy of five months out, and I was just then getting about 700 calories. Don't push it, you are all doing GREAT!!!!!!!  Enjoy your new little tummy!

OMG two years and still can't do a full cup?  I can eat a full cup now...  gawd I am really worried.  (you had your sugery on my birthday)