Collylo

Surgery in 2 days and long-term results are terrifying me

I am converting from failed lapband to bypass in 2 days and the long-term posts are terrifying me!

Are all these problems the norm?? Was the weight loss worth all these complications?

I am seriously thinking of canceling the surgery. Doesn't anyone have a long-term success story out there??

I'm almost 12 yrs out. And doing great. Yes I watch what , how much , how fast I eat. I'm lactose intolerance but only milk & ice cream bothers me. I have to watch my sugar if I go over 7 grams I'll dump. Have maintained my weight lost. I have really had no problems & could have been my doctor's poster child. But then I had 7 surgeries way before the by pass so guess God decided for me to have a easier time with this surgery (just a little humor). I'm  68 yrs old will be 69 in June, as I've written before I do 3 days a week of aerobic dancing; weight strengthing, pilates,and now 2 days of week hula hooping,(which I jusat love)!!!!!!!I  Really enjoy life I have sky dived since surgery & my husband says  I'm more active now than when I was in my 20s. GBP isn't for everyone but for me it was giving me back my life. I am so glad that I made that decison as I know I probably wouldn't be here without it. I thank God & Dr Goldberg everyday for my great life. It is a life time committment.  Best of luck to you!!

That's great to hear, Sue! 12 years is a long time to maintain. Congratulations! so as long as you are following the rules, you seem to be ok?

I am almost 3 years out. Started at 272.6 and was 148 on my scale this morning. I log my food on myfitnesspal daily, and make sure I go to the gym at least 3 times per week. I followed the directions of my surgeon's staff, and have had zero problems. My mom had bypass 5 years before me and also had zero problems. I know every person is different, but I would do it again tomorrow if needed. If you have any specific questions, ask away. I love my new life!

Success is based on effort. You must put devoted, consistent effort into maintaining the changes you vow to make in the initial stages of weight loss. This is a life style change, just like any other diet modification....it's only going to be successful if what you change or modify keeps being changed or modified. What you are told pre op by your surgeon, dietition and psychologist isn't said because they like the sound of their own voice, it's truth. Sadly, changing thinking, habits, emotions and activity is much, MUCH more difficult than having an invasive, risky surgery to change your insides. That being said, it's 100% possible to be successful :D I am over 7 years out and had my 5th child (only one post-op) three years ago. Aside from anemia (which runs in my family and I had before surgery but worsened after) and an internal hernia (most likely from surgery but not definitively the cause) I would consider myself a success. I have maintained a 100lb loss, 20 of that came off after my last child's birth (above what I had gained during pregnancy) and, if given the chance to, I wouldn't change a thing. It is not magic, it's work. I believe anyone who goes into this surgery with realistic goals and expectations should be able to succeed. That includes YOU! Best of luck to you, you can be a success story :-)

I went through with the conversion. I basically lost it for the first 2 weeks after wondering if I had just threatened my long-term health for a surgery that is supposed to improve myself.

I was reading blog after blog of all these complications. A friend made me realize that most people love to complain and scare other people on these blogs. People don't always take the time to write about how well things are going. I also think I was choosing to focus on the negative posts.

I am in a better place emotionally and physically. I feel great and have already lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks.

I know there are success stories and I am so glad you all posted. Thanks so much!

Glad to hear you have a friend you can talk to.  There are just as many horror stores and success stories out there to either scare you or motivate you!  I had my surgery 3 years ago and just underwent a total body lift less than 2 weeks ago.  I like you had a month right after surgery that I cried about because in my mind I had just done the wrong thing.  But as time goes on it does get easier and you realize you didn't just throw you life away, you are on your way to reclaim it!  As I sit her recovery, I have to say I would have done both the bypass and subsequent surgeries again in a heartbeat.  Keep the positive attitude and keep posting to let people know how you are doing!  Good luck to you!!!

Sandy

Almost 3 years out here- no problems, no issues, perfect labs, poster child for my surgeon's practice, and on and on and on, oh and still 8 lbs under goal! It's a journey for LIFE- I still plan every mouthful, log every mouthful on SparkPeople, weigh every day, work out 3 days a week and try to walk 5 days a week, no drinking for 45 minutes before, no drinking during, and no drinking for 45 minutes after meals, no sodas, etc. etc. etc.........Play by the rules and you'll do GREAT!

Nancy

Nancy that is encouraging! Thanks.

I am 3 years out the only complications I have had is I became lactose intolerant and also get sugar dumping still. it was totally worth it! I went from 310-320 to 165 was my lowest

I'm 8 years out and never regretted it.  I also cannot drink milk (but can put it in my coffee) and cannot eat a bowl of cereal.  I can do some sugar, but never push the limits, because I know myself, I'd get back into bad habits.  

Only 2 years out, but no problems.  I can't eat rice, pasta, or bread, but those are easy give-ups considering I am healthier than ever.

I'm 2 1/2 yrs out and haven't had any major issues thankfully.   My hubby is a little over 4 yrs out and both of us have maintained our weight loss so it is definitely possible!   Best wishes to you on your journey...  :-)