5 years after, incredible pain, please help!

Alright, so I had my gastric bypass in June of '08. Before, I had a colonoscopy and all the usual before tests, and had no issues. Three years later, in '11, I began suffering acidic relfexes in my stomach and chest.  The doctors again issued observational tests and found nothing. I frequently suffered on and off up until now. I smoke, have the occasional drink, but as of last monday, its been getting worse! I had a burrito from Moe's Southwestern Grill, and it feels like it's been an Indiana Jones quest inside me. I've been coughing up bile, immobilized by pain in my stomach, not acidic, just painful, intermittent jabs of pain, and a dull pain all over my body. My wonderful husband took me to the ER tonight as soon as he got home, but the doctor (while being rude and sitting me in a terribly taken care of room) could find absolutely nothing wrong with me. He prescribed me some Sucralfate (to prevent ulcers) and Ranitidine (histamine blocker to prevent ulcers) while I've been taking Synthroid and Prilosec. I'm at my wits end! This is worse than being pregnant, and I just dont know what to do. ='(

I will have to say, my first thought was ulcer also. Smoking after gastric bypass and ulcers go hand in hand. The sucralfate should really help with the stomach pain in the short term and the Ranitidine should help over the long term. If not, then continue to go to your family practice doc and have him/her try another course of action. Be persistent, but try to stick with the same doc so he/she can be familiar with your condition so you don't have to start from scratch each time. I had some stomach pain that was tough to get rid of, my surgeon tried a few anti acid medications before I found one that really worked for me, Protonix (and liquid carafate which is the same as sucralfate). I hope you figure out what is causing this problem and find some relief.

My first thought was gallbladder ( if you still have it) and ulcers if not. I have had pain from both and they were actually similar. Both killed when I ate or if I waited too long to eat. I would get a second opinion.

see your surgeon, or find another doctor. you or your insurance are paying these doctors. you dont have to suffer or put up with that sort of treatment.you can always call your insurance company and speak with an advisor. ask your primary doctor for a referral for a second opinion.

You can still have biliary pain around where the gall bladder was, even after surgery - bile is still produced whether you have the organ or not.  Found that out when I was having pain several years after having my gall bladder removed.  Not saying that is what you have, but it could be a possibility - it is called biliary dyskinesia, here is a definition:

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (Biliary Dyskinesia: Post-Cholecystectomy Syndrome)

What Is Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction?

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD) is a symptom complex of intermittent upper abdominal pain that may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. This disorder is not completely understood. It is thought to be caused by either scarring or spasm of the sphincter of Oddi muscle. The sphincter of Oddi muscle is a small circular muscle approximately ½ inch in length, located at the downstream end of the bile duct and pancreas duct. The function of this muscle is to keep the bile duct and pancreatic duct muscles closed and, therefore, prevent reflux of intestinal contents into the bile duct and pancreas duct. If this muscle should spasm or scar, drainage of the bile duct and/or pancreas duct may be hindered. Abnormal dilation of the bile duct and/or pancreas duct is often associated with an increase in the products and enzymes made by the liver, gallbladder and pancreas, which can be tested for with blood tests (serum liver tests, amylase, lipase). If the ducts are blocked this may result in pain.

Who Gets SOD?

Biliary dyskinesia may develop after the gallbladder has been removed, hence the name post-cholecystectomy syndrome.

What Are the Symptoms of SOD?

Symptoms may be similar to those for which the gallbladder was initially removed and include abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. The symptoms may be episodic. They may wax and wane. Subjects may experience weight loss due to poor appetite. Fever, chills and diarrhea are not characteristic of this disease. If symptoms are severe and do not respond to conservative treatment, further investigation may be warranted.

Run it by your doctor and see if it might be a possibility.

Edited by technogal63
  • 1 month later...

I have this.  Just discharged last night for it and they want to do an invasive ERCP to get to the Sphincter of Oddi via a laparoscopic (general anesthesia) entry into my proximal duodenum that still attached to my remnant stomach so they can put an endocope up inside this sphincter to clear it out and/or stent it.  Im a little anxious about it and am exploring other options like taking Actigall (ursodiol) to de-sludge my bile at that point.  My lipase (pancreatic enzyme) was also elevated because the common bile duct is shared by the bile duct and the duct coming from the pancreas.  The pain lasted for 12 hours before it abated.  Will follow up here as to what the eventual outcome will be.  GB removed a little less than a year s/p RNY.  Im almost 2 years out.  Hope yours has been taken care of!     

• 1 year later...

Deb, what happened with your issue? What did the Dr find when they did this procedure? I had my gallbladder removed and also my remnant stomach and have right side pains. My dr says its scar tissue. Would love to figure it out. Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Rrust01

Better late than never.  Im sorry I  missed this!  Well this has happened again and then a year ago, he placed me on Levsin.  Its a smooth muscle relaxant that seems to work on the sphincter of Oddi.  I do have bouts now and again, but Levsin under my tongue really lessens the severity and the length of time Im uncomfortable.  No additional procedures so far and my liver enzymes remain normal.  :-)

Deb