sunnilove22

Drinking alcohol after surgery?

*I DONT PLAN TO DRINK BEFORE MY DOCTOR AND NUT SAYS ITS OK, JUST WANTING OPINIONS AND ADVICE*

I was never a big drinker before surgery but being a social 23 year old I went out with my friends once or twice a month, birthdays and so on. I was told to not try any alcohol before 6 months post op. I am ok with that since I stopped drinking about 2 months before surgery anyways. I am just wanting to know what some of you guys have expierenced and how it went. I value the stories I read here so much. I understand the addiction transfer ( from food to booze) and how alcohol can effect you after surgery and I learn more everyday. To me no amount of reading replaces the the real life stories I get from evreyone here.

Edited by sunnilove22

I drink occassionally now. It affects me much different. I get a buzz almost immediately. I can see how it can become a transfer addiction. We must be very careful if we decide to partake at all.

Ok so here is the deal. #1) Like AngelaMarie mentioned, you need to be super cautious, since you have turned off your food addiction you can very easily transfer that addiction to another habit, alcohol is a biggy. So everything in moderation. #2) try it at home before going to the bar. Find out what works for you, for example I can drink Smirnoff Ice and be fine, Vodka cranberry = trashed. #3) ALWAYS have a designated driver, since absorb alcohol differently now, you may feel sober, but you are not. Don not risk it. #4) You don't need the alcohol to have a good time, order a virgin daiquiri or like me I was big on getting water with ice and mixing in crystal light. Looks like a fancy drink, but it's just water and no worries! #5) Don't let your friends pressure you, if they truly are your friends they will understand your situation.

I just had my first alcoholic beverage about a week ago. I had half of a Utah beer (less alcohol % than normal beer) and was very buzzed. Half.

Good part was that it also wore off very quickly. So it seems to burn quickly through our systems. You will have to learn your limits. You probably won't be able to ever do shots with your friends without getting completely wasted - which is NOT FUN.

Think about this too, not only does it get absorbed quickly into our system, but even eating prior doesn't help since the food doesn't stay in the pouch long enough to absorb alcohol properly. So you've got two major things working against you when you drink. And of course, as mentioned, transfer addiction is always something to be concerned about.

Good idea to stick to your docs plan and afterwards, tread carefully, NEVER drive after drinking even a tiny amount and let your friends know you're a lightweight so you simply CANNOT keep up with them. You cannot even try. The ones who respect you will leave it at that and ensure others don't try to pressure you either.

Have fun :)

I've had a glass of wine a few times, and I feel the effects after a few sips. It does wear off quicker though. I don't make it a habit because of the empty calories. That, and I'm just not a big drinker.

I could use a shot of ky bourban! Sitting at louisville airport, waiting to come home and have the worst cold! That being said, i had one sip of watered down amaretto...tasted good...second little sip tasted like lighter fluid. I am more of a corona light girl..but do like a full bodied

beer now and then. More in the summer. Really dont miss it or the after affects!

Patients of my surgeon have to sign a "contract" before having a surgery. The contract emphasizes the things we will do after the surgery is performed. Included in the provisions is no alcohol for at least a year after surgery and after OK by his office. From the sounds of things above, once that time comes, looks like its a really good idea to go really slow.

Don't start drinking. I was not a drinker before surgery, but it became a problem for me at 4 year mark when life events caused me stress. I wish I had never picked up the first drink. 2 drinks I was ok, more than that, I blackout. My body can't take it. Shuts me down for a week if I do drink. I become dehydrated, lack in vitamins and typically don't eat we'll when I drink. Very very hard on my body more than I can put into words.....it's just not worth it. For some its not an issue but for most GBP it becomes an issue. So if you can, don't even temp it....... You had surgery to to become healthier and the addiction transfer is just not worth it.

My first drink was champagne at a baby-shower. What I learned were the finger foods being washed down by the drink rushed so quick through my system, therefore causing terrible dumping syndrome and hypoglycemia. I was sweaty, confused and irritable. I drove there, but not home.

I liked my cocktails pre-op. Now it just isn't that same. One is like three. I am kind of glad it isn't so much fun anymore. I don't miss the empty calories and then the carb craving that came after. Keeps the weight gain at bay:)

For me, hypoglycemia has been something I have dealt with for many years. Booze coupled with my gastric bypass adds to the equation.

I'm glad you asked about different experiences. It took me a a long time to understand why I was so ill after my first drink. It really taught me about mixing liquids with party snacks and how dumping can result. Just my take on what happened to my system.

I have two (gastric Bypass) friends who after their 6 month drinking ban drink more than I do at a party. It's usually vodka and a sugar free mixer, but like I said they both drink plenty, and they don't seem wasted.

I get horrible muscle cramps in my calves and they shake uncontrollably if I even have a sip of alcohol in the last few months. I had a similar problem when I was 21 and also very thin. Needless to say I will not drink again.

Yup, be careful, try it at home first. You can't believe how quickly you get buzzed. I'm not a drinker but on a very rare occasion will feel like a little something. 3 sips of wine and I immediately feel it. Had a little cocktail the other day while sitting and playing on the computer. I'm talking maybe two sips and the words on the screen started twisting, thought my ipad was broken and then I thought I had a stroke, come to realize I was tipsy. In no time flat! I don't like to be drunk so of coarse I put my glass away. Sober again in 15 minutes. It's the most bizarre thing in the world!

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing. Learning from those who have been there is the best way.

Well, I know several people that started drink right after surgery, stay away from beer though, tooo evfervescent.. I do occasionally have few but found I can't take some mixed drinks like anything with citriz (orange juice), rips my stomach up. But I do drink some, Bay breeze like - cranberry with coconut rum, minus the pineapple (too much citris), and I like Mike's Hard Punch (Strawberry Lemonade, Mango, etc) but limit those because of the bubbles. I get buzzed quite fast and need a DD. Only a few drinks for me! And I only do this once a month or so. Don;t need to backslide! I love my new self!

I recently had a glass of wine when my husband and I went out for my birthday dinner. All I can say is Wow! Thankfully my hubby doesn't drink anything when we're out because I would have not been able to drive home. I had a light Riesling, not very sweet - it was delicious and I was seriously looped for about 30 min. then it all seemed to leave my system at once and I felt fine again. Very different sensation from pre-op drinking.... I think this will only be a rare treat from now on though.

There is a local wine bar that I love and they offer a half glass pour, which is great. The flip side is that I get the shivers badly afterwards. I wil lay in bed, trying to sleep, and I can't get warm. I am sure that the alcohol is effecting me, I just don't know why. I only drink when I go the that wine bar, and only the one half a glass.

I really love wine- but it is just too hard to control for me- if I have some- I want MORE-  I had been enjoying alcohol on holidays and weekends but felt it was becoming a bit of a monster and was looking for occasions to celebrate-  I decided to go "dry" this year- woke up New Years Day and felt SOOO pleased I had made that decision- not because I was hungover but because I was back in the driver's seat- !! 

I didn't drink for a couple months post op, but then when I finally did, I tried to experiment slowly. I can drink beer no problem. Straight tequilla I cannot do. I have tried it twice and both times I have dropped to the ground in the fetal position for about 10 minutes until it passes through. It is ok, though if I mix it in a margarita or something, just can't have it straight. I have had wine in moderation, and other licquor. All of the above does effect me differently now.

I have had white wine and tolerate a few glasses over a few hours just fine. It is a quick buzz and quickly gone type a deal.

how soon was your first drink?

I really love wine- but it is just too hard to control for me- if I have some- I want MORE-  I had been enjoying alcohol on holidays and weekends but felt it was becoming a bit of a monster and was looking for occasions to celebrate-  I decided to go "dry" this year- woke up New Years Day and felt SOOO pleased I had made that decision- not because I was hungover but because I was back in the driver's seat- !! 

I hear you Kaz....felt like it was getting to be a bit of a monster for me too. I was liking it a bit *too much* and I have no physical problems with drinking, in fact I seemed to be able to drink more than pre-surgery with limited effects. So it crept up and up. 

So I am doing the FebFast thing for charity and then I will probably extend it a bit longer to make sure I have a control on things again. I did not go through all of this, to give my control over to something just as unhealthy (or more so) than my previous food addiction.

This thread has been incredibly informative! Thank you all for sharing!

I had surgery 12/21/09.I waited about a year before I started having a drink every now and then.About 1 year and 1/2 ado had to stop working so I could take care of my dad, and just deal with all the stress of everyday life. Now I find myself having some wine everyday.The bad thing is I find pass out (I always seem to make to the bed) but it like I lose time,sometimes I have to ask my husband questions.But husband say he can tell that it is a problem.When I try not to drink I cant sleep.But the crazy is before surgery I drink very little my husband was the one who drink mostly .Before surgery my husband would ask I want do and I would go out eat,not he ask me I say make sure they sale wine. I cant drink beer makes me feel to bad still can't do sugar no fruity drinks.But I would tell be to be really careful it easy to find another addiction.Still have been able to stay between 120 -123 ,but working another problem. 

Biggirl- you sound as if you are in a VERY dangerous place - alcohol wise- can I please encourage you to seek help- I know I will always have issues with wine- although I hate to admit it- please please do something to change this- you have reclaimed your life in one area- don't lose it again to something else- take care...

Bomshelle- I would honestly give it much longer than a month- I didn't drink Dec 2011 till June 2012- then had wine = problems   

Dry June 2012- Oct 2012- then wine = problems-

Dry again till Nov/Dec 2012 wine= problems (I see a trend) :) ...

my only answer was to give it away- I just can't have any I honestly think... I've taken up cross stitch to fill in the time-   

Edited by Kazkaren